• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Assessment Rankings/Marks - help me out, please! (1 Viewer)

qazxcvbnmko

HSC
The classes I am in consist of really quite smart people.
We are all in the same classes.
They are reasonably small classes.
Due to these guys being really smart, they have made me get a not-so-desirable ranking within the class.
These guys in my class are the kind of people that'd be getting 95+ ATARs.

I'm just not too knowledegable about this concept. Because the way everyone has been explaining it is that "If you have a bad rank, IT'S BAD".
But the way I'm thinking is that if I have a bad rank due to intelligent people, it shouldn't have a large impact, right?
Their HSC marks should lift my assessment mark, and I don't have to fret about dumb people giving me a bad one if my rank is low, right?

Will this affect the assessment half of my ATAR considerably? Or am I just being silly?
My head is filled with confusion; I just need some reassurance.

enoilgam

HSC
Their HSC marks should lift my assessment mark, and I don't have to fret about dumb people giving me a bad one if my rank is low, right?
Generally speaking this is true. Your ranking is relevant to your cohort - if you go to James Ruse, and come 50/100 in a subject, then chances are you will probably get above 90 in it. However, if your school rank is 350 and your coming 50/100, your probably looking at a much lower mark. Generally speaking, the stronger your cohort, the less a poor ranking will hurt you.

Last edited:

teeah

HSC
it depends on how you define bad i guess (rank) - im pretty much in the same position for my subjects, but i guess maintaining a rank within the top 10 or at least top 20 should be alright? (if cohort is 40+ for that subject) - just a guess. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)