• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

assessment task due 12/6 (1 Viewer)

sammygirl

HSC
1 a) explain how each of the following has controlled or prevented disease:
  • public health programs
  • pesticides
  • biological control
  • genetic engineering
b) what are the social and moral implications of genetically altering plants and animals?

2 a) what problems are people currently encounting, with regards to the resistance of bacteria to antibodics?

b) explain how the following processes allow bacteria to become resistant to antibodics:
  • inheritance
  • conjugation
  • human use of antibodics
c) what are the implications of genetic resistance to hosts and the development of drug resistance in pathogens, on the likely spread of diseases in the future?

3) explain the developments in the treatment of malaria; how was malaria treated up until the early 19th century, how is malaria currently treated, discuss the development of a vaccine for malaria.

40 collect two articles bout any one aspect of this topic - one from the popular press (newspapers, magazines) and one from a scientific magazine (eg, the New Scientist). compare these two articles in terms of: purpose of article, language used, data presented

5 a) what is gene therapy?
b) what diseases are currently being treated with gene therapy?
c) what are the social and moral issues involved with gene therapy?

im having some trouble finding information. does anyone have any input for this or can tell me where i could find some actually useful info????

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
Posting the entire question to me screams out "I haven't done anything yet, give me the answer"

1.a) Small pox vaccination campagins
endless...how have pesticides controlled insects spreading disease from plants to plant?
etc

b) direct dotpoint so it should be covered in the book

2a) supervirus crap? Golden staph not being able to be cured by antiobiotics these days etc

b) not sure for the first 2, the last one is simple and covered in the textbooks.

c) Obvious

3. google malaria

4. there are a few printed in the heineman bio prac manual to look at

5. Google
b,c) as above

HSC
1a) Public Health Programs - Public education programs, such as the 'slip, slop, slap' campaign are designed to prevent cancers such as skin cancer. The 'grim reaper' campaign was used to warn of the risks involved in contracting the AIDS virus. The childhood inmmunisation program, run by the Commonwealth Department of Health and Aged Care, includes a public health program.
Pesticides - The use of pesticides helps control insect-borne diseases such as malaria.
Biological control - Biological control is used in the agricultural industry to control plant diseases and insect pests.
Genetic engineering - Some examples are provided below:
  • tobacco mosaic virus causes the leaves of some important crop plants such as tomatoes to wither and die. Scientists have now incorporated a virus-resistant gene into tomatoes
  • Virus-resistant genes have also been engineered into yellow squash, zucchini, potatoes and papaya.
  • Genetic engineering has now been used to produce transgenic plants (cotton, soybean, corn, potato) that contain the gene from a naturally occuring insecticide taken from a soil bacterium (Bt). The plant can now kill its own pests
  • Research is underway to genetically alter rumen bacteria (in the stomach of cows) so that the bacteria can detoxify a poisonous plant that currently causes disease in cows and therefore large stock-losses in Queensland
hope this helps

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)