• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Assistance needed with writing a Postmodern piece (1 Viewer)

Lhyviathan

2/cos C
HSC
Hey, I have an assessment coming up next Monday, to write a piece of creative writing, and my elective is Postmodernism.

I've been racking my brains for ways to write this, but so far, I haven't really gotten too far. :vcross:

If anyone could give me some pointers, or even post up their Postmodern pieces, it'd be greatly appreciated. :p

HSC
N/A
Do something other than a "normal" story. Play around with postmodern techniques (fragmentation is a personal favourite of mine), look at something from a weird perspective... play with techniques and themes in general...

tim05

HSC
A number of suggestions for what you can do...

Get a concept album and take the story they are telling on the album and fill it in enrich it... but make concious reference to the tracks on the cd as they change. Examples of albums you could try are:

1. Invisible Circles by After Forever

here is a website with some back ground on the album

http://www.pitfather.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=329

(this one may be very hard to get hold of in main stream stores)

2. Seventh Son of a Seventh Son by Iron Maiden

Background: This was inspired by a series of science fiction novels by Orson Scott Card. They are about Alvin Maker, the seventh son of a seventh son (the first book in the series is called Seventh Son), who is born with second sight and the ability to use "folk magic" in an alternate reality. The song describes how his birth was eagerly anticipated by his siblings and how the forces of good and evil struggled over him.

in short any album which tells a story - including stuff like the pop/punkish My Chemical Romance album released last year!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)