• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Attn: BIO class of 06 (1 Viewer)

ishq

brown?
HSC
Wilsmore said:
Hi katie_tully,

I tried emailing you as you suggested...but even after a few kicks my computer still wouldn't cooperate.

I can't understand an underlying issue with Protein Synthesis. How can a polypeptide ‘truly represent’ a series of codon sequences when not all of the DNA sequencing is transcripted onto the mRNA? What I mean is, how can mRNA create a realistic complimentary sequence to the DNA when only the exon of the DNA is transcripted?
because the introns are non-coding anyway. hence, all the coding parts(i.e what is needed) is being copied. thats the main reason for the splicing of the sequence.
i'm so sure that if you can use such big words, you already know that.

Last edited:

Wilsmore

HSC
Thanks "ishq" for the reply. Sorry for the big words, i was just trying to express my thoughts clearly.

I get that exons are needed in protein synthesis, but what I don't get is why the introns aren't involved?? What is it about its composition that contrasts it to exons and consequently renders it useless for protein synthesis??

If introns are non-coding...then why is it present in one of the alternative splicing sequences..."Intron Retaining Mode"??

I'm delving too deep aren't I...argh

Last edited:

kb1509

NO COMPROMISE
HSC
k_stroud22 said:
i just had my bio. exam this morning!!! it was reasonable; some questions were hard in it though! i'm in the top 4 for my course though... hopefully i did well. its my fave subject and i studied so much for it. :)
good man stroud ! lol
im doing bio atm.. and im in year 11... does it get interesting in yr 12..? cos its kind boring now

ScottyG

Victory is mine.
HSC
kb1509 said:
good man stroud ! lol
im doing bio atm.. and im in year 11... does it get interesting in yr 12..? cos its kind boring now
Yr12 = much more interesting don't worry.

ishq

brown?
HSC
Wilsmore said:
Thanks "ishq" for the reply. Sorry for the big words, i was just trying to express my thoughts clearly.

I get that exons are needed in protein synthesis, but what I don't get is why the introns aren't involved?? What is it about its composition that contrasts it to exons and consequently renders it useless for protein synthesis??

If introns are non-coding...then why is it present in one of the alternative splicing sequences..."Intron Retaining Mode"??

I'm delving too deep aren't I...argh
We have heaps of junk DNA. Isnt it like...lillies..that have the largest amount of DNA? With most of it junk?
I don't know any specificities - and you don't need to either. The extent to which you need to know about exons, introns and the splicing method is in DNA Replication and Translocation etc.

You're doing extra stuff - which is good to expand your knowledge (and sound smart :D)

Dr_Doom

HSC
Wilsmore said:
Hi katie_tully,

I tried emailing you as you suggested...but even after a few kicks my computer still wouldn't cooperate.

I can't understand an underlying issue with Protein Synthesis. How can a polypeptide ‘truly represent’ a series of codon sequences when not all of the DNA sequencing is transcripted onto the mRNA? What I mean is, how can mRNA create a realistic complimentary sequence to the DNA when only the exon of the DNA is transcripted?
The mRNA transcripts from either one side of the DNA strand. mRNA isn't important, it just delivers the code to the ribosomes, where the tRNA brings down the correct amino acid.

A codon is a group of 3 nucleotides on the mRNA. The protein is created from the opposite code of those codons. For example if it's CCG the amino acid code will be GGC. etc So I think thats how it represents the codon sequences... By the amino acids..

punk_tartan

HSC
love bio, and its so easy.... learingn the syllabus is the best advice for the sciences lol

ArtOfLosing

HSC
I don't really like Bio that much anymore (partly because of my teacher) but I'm actually pretty good at it which is kind of annoying, I put in barely any effort and I still come top! In the last exam we had (1/2 yearlys) I pretty much only crammed the night before and I got 48/50 which was the top of the two classes! It's annoying for me because I do very little and still get good results and those who seem to try a lot harder than me don't do as well. :( And then I feel bad for beeting them.....

I am annoyed and confused at myself.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
punk_tartan said:
love bio, and its so easy.... learingn the syllabus is the best advice for the sciences lol
I wish this is the case at uni. :(

punk_tartan

HSC
Survivor39 said:
I wish this is the case at uni. :([/QUOTE

*puts fingers in ears*

omg dont tell us this lol haha but thanks for the prewarning. just confrims how shite the hsc syllabus is

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)