• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Australian Citizenship Test (1 Viewer)

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
There are actually a lot of other questions to the citizenship test; I think 200. As well as the fact that potential citizens get a little booklet...

Source

A booklet designed to equip aspiring citizens with all the knowledge needed to pass the test was released yesterday by the Immigration Minister, Kevin Andrews.

With a heavy focus on achievements at war and identifying "Australian values", it also nominates cricket as the nation's favourite international sport.

Aboriginal history before Europeans arrived is dispensed with in four sentences, yet a subsequent blow-by-blow description of settlement, industrial development and sporting achievement runs to 12 pages.

Mr Andrews said the list of 10 values was likely to be "relatively uncontroversial".

They include freedom of speech and religion, equality of the sexes, support for the rule of law, peacefulness and compassion.

"Australia has a strong tradition of mateship … especially in times of adversity" it says. "A mate can be a spouse, partner, brother, sister, daughter, son or a friend. A mate can also be a total stranger."

Mr Andrews released a sample of 20 questions, but again refused Labor calls for the full list of 200 possible questions.

The remaining questions could delve further into the more obscure facts of Australian history covered by the booklet.
cricket as the nation's favourite international sport
Football?

Pretty sure I and many others would've gotten that wrong :(

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Yes indeed, that source says it would be implemented beginning from mid to late September...

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
whats more disgusting is the fact you have to have a bachelors degree or higher to immigrate here (and thus be from a high socio economic background what about the poor ppl)

open borders..>!!! criminals most welcome

banco55

HSC
Schroedinger said:
"We have the concept of friends, too, in Iran."
Thay also stone women to death, have their freedom of speech heavily restricted and hang homosexuals. I know these are only tiny differences and the average Australian would not experience any culture shock when he visited Iran but still.....

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
as an iranian i often question what the word "friendship" means. i live only to serve god and murder people

i rly want to visit iran it looks pretty cool

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
australians do not value sympathy

banco55

HSC
Captin gay said:
no one liekz it. i thnk the students would be kinda pissed since the clerics have hijacked their unis 'n all. iran needs to turkify.

my point is.. have sympathy for their plight.
This line that: "oh everyone in Iran hates the mullahs and are closet moderates" sounds suspiciously like the line that certain americans were pushing prior to the war that the Iraqis were secular, well educated etc. when in reality the great bulk of Iraqis were semi-literate, poorly educated cletuses who did what their sheik told them to and who were still into all the tribal bullshit.

I have no doubt that the Iranians who have most contact with the west etc. ie the more affluent students who can afford to go to uni etc. have qualms about the theocracy but I if you were to poll the views of the average Iranian you'd probably find they are a good deal more conservative then the Iranian uni students. Even in Australia there's a big divergence between what uni students think about politics and what the bulk of the population thinks. Obviously the westernised Iranian uni students are the ones who the west is going to have most contact with so it's easy to deceive oneself that the Iranian with a blog written in english is representative of Iranian society.

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
More Iranians go to university than here or America, not just the more "affluent students", has a literacy rate higher than America and something like 2/3 of the populating is 14 - 45 (can't remember the exact number).

Snaykew

:)
HSC
N/A
Lol I didn't know most Iraqis lived in tribes and villages. Damn. I could've sworn they had cities and stuff.

PrinceHarry

HSC
N/A
jb_nc said:
More Iranians go to university than here or America, not just the more "affluent students", has a literacy rate higher than America and something like 2/3 of the populating is 14 - 45 (can't remember the exact number).
Where did you get those numbers? Going to an islamic university memorizing quran doesnot count as en education and btw, literacy rate is NOT higher, in fact iran is ranked among the bottom of the world at 113 compared to USA or Australia at number 1.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_literacy_rate

The reason they have huge percentage of young people is because they have one of the lowest life expectancy in the world at 71 compared to 78 and 82 in US and Australia.

beentherdunthat

HSC
PrinceHarry said:
Going to an islamic university memorizing quran doesnot count as en education
Idiot. I go to an Islamic School and we 'memorize' the qur'an. I'm pretty sure we're an educational institution. And I'm pretty sure we rank in the top 20 schools in the state.

I hate it when you post. You don't use your head.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
PrinceHarry said:
Going to an islamic university memorizing quran doesnot count as en education
That's a bit uncalled for.

Slippery slope, my dear.

Snaykew

:)
HSC
N/A
So, can I hear there's a question asking what Australia's national sport is. And the answer is cricket. Although that did pop to mind, AFL and both Rugbys also came to mind. :/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)