• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

B. Business/ B. Law (1 Viewer)

willbman

HSC
just wondering if anyone knows how the uts business/law program fares up agaisnt the commerce/law at usyd and unsw. ive heard that its a good practical degree to do for biz, but not sure how uts compares to syd and nsw.
thanks.

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Well I think most people are aware that UNSW and USyd Law and Commerce are more prestigious than most of the other unis. However, it terms of what they teach and stuff, I'm not sure.

The only thing I know is that the UTS Law course has the practical legal traning built into its course, which means you do it as part of your course, rather than doing it externally. I don't know if this is integrated into the courses at UNSW and USyd.

As for commerce, the UTS Business degrees are just as highly regarded as the commerce degrees, and so it doesn't really matter in my opinion.

willbman

HSC
what are the hours like in terms of lectures per week? with it being a double degree, does it give the course more lectures even though it is expanded over 5 years?

S

Shuter

theone123 said:
morris iemma did the course
I thought he just did B Laws.

Anyway, UTS law faculty has very good teaching, and if you look in the good uni's guide starting saleries are virtually identical to Usyd/UNSW.

S

Shuter

willbman said:
what are the hours like in terms of lectures per week? with it being a double degree, does it give the course more lectures even though it is expanded over 5 years?
no [comment]commment[/comment]

S

Shuter

No because it takes too long and I can't go on exchange like I want.

Soma

Toney Starks Fanboy
HSC
And I doubt you would get in with that UAI ^^.

But yeh I do Business/Law it's a pretty good course. It's pretty much about how you go individually rather than what uni you attend. I know a guy who graduated from the course last year and got into a top tier law firm, a lot of his friends also got high calibre job. One thing he stressed to me is the importance of grades, I don't think you can get a degree anywhere, just cruise through and expect to get a good job straight out from uni.

What UTS law doesn't have as opposed to USyd/UNSW is the prestige, i.e. we don't get so many HCA judges coming to do guest lectures and the like. However, from what I've experienced so far the level of teaching in UTS law is excellent and as I've already said as long as you do well you will have not trouble in finding strong employment.

As for Business it is very highly regarded, you will find a lot of cadets from the big 4 here because of the flexibility of class times. One major gripe I have with the course is that shit subjects such as Marketing and Management are 2 core subjects which you need to complete, in comparison to USyd and UNSW where you don't need to do them. Apart from that in terms of employability UTS is up there, if not greater than USyd/UNSW although again there may be less of a sense of prestige if that's what you care about.

S

Shuter

Soma said:
And I doubt you would get in with that UAI ^^.
UTS uses 50% 1st year uni results and 50% Law Questionaire for NRSL entries, or alternatly, can transfer (subject to quota) from Business with a Distinction WAM.

Soma

Toney Starks Fanboy
HSC
Well I transferred in on the strength of my UAI and the questionnaire due to the fact I was doing a pass/fail course and hence only had a pass average.

I am sure they must take UAI into account.

Also as far as the Distinction average goes, it wouldn't guarantee transfer, there is only a limited amount of places and lots of Business students have Distinction WAM's.

S

Shuter

Soma said:
Well I transferred in on the strength of my UAI and the questionnaire due to the fact I was doing a pass/fail course and hence only had a pass average.

I am sure they must take UAI into account.

Also as far as the Distinction average goes, it wouldn't guarantee transfer, there is only a limited amount of places and lots of Business students have Distinction WAM's.
For Law:
"For Non-Current School Leaver applicants, selection will be based on 50% compulsory Faculty of Law Questionnaire and 50% academic merit. Academic merit is determined on the basis of any qualifications listed below in the section “Qualifications used in Selection”. Generally the qualification with the highest academic achievement is considered for Non Current School Leavers."

1yr of full time study is included as a "qualification" in this instance, as is UAI.

Interestingly enough, strait Business doesn't say it will use the highest qualification, but actually the most recent.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)