• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

B.Eco at UNSW or B.Bus at UTS? (1 Viewer)

yanxx

HSC
apparently nobody does eco... is that true? i know i shouldn't be thinking like this, but will the degree get me anywhere in life?

i did prelim business and dropped it coz it was so damn boring... i'm guessing B.business will be the same stuff, but more detailed?

plz post some opinions :(

thnks for the help ppl

i'm planning to major in accounting (surprise surprise)
and i'm planning to work overseas... so would a bachelor of economics sound better to an overseas employer? lol

Last edited:

yanxx

HSC
Musk said:
Focus on what degree you wanna do and enjoy instead where it will get you somewhere in life because if you dont love what your doing you will drop out
i'm sorry but the whole "do what u like" thing doesn't work with asian parents

i gotta get the degree first to please them, then i can do what i want :)

Hakz

Proud Member
HSC
N/A
yanxx said:
apparently nobody does eco... is that true? i know i shouldn't be thinking like this, but will the degree get me anywhere in life?

i did prelim business and dropped it coz it was so damn boring... i'm guessing B.business will be the same stuff, but more detailed?

plz post some opinions :(
Well with economics you would most probably have a job in the government sector. With business i reckon you'd make more money but the thing is what major in
b business are u interested in? Accounting?

Yes business would be all reading, but its way different to high school stuff which only covers a week of uni.

uhawww

Flakes
HSC
Hakz said:
Well with economics you would most probably have a job in the government sector. With business i reckon you'd make more money but the thing is what major in
b business are u interested in? Accounting?

Yes business would be all reading, but its way different to high school stuff which only covers a week of uni.
Man stop giving advice on shit you have no clue about.

B.Eco is far better. A far more prestigious institution and degree, as well as the fact you can take a double major under it (in accounting or what ever cookie cutter major you wish to do).

Who said no one does eco? A know a LOT of people doing eco...

Hakz

Proud Member
HSC
N/A
uhawww said:
Man stop giving advice on shit you have no clue about.

B.Eco is far better. A far more prestigious institution and degree, as well as the fact you can take a double major under it (in accounting or what ever cookie cutter major you wish to do).

Who said no one does eco? A know a LOT of people doing eco...
What are you on about? the kid asked about business, ive done business subjects so i told him how it is. I also said that most economist work for government. Then i ask what major in business his interested in, whats so wrong about that?? I am giving an OPINION.

Musk said:
Hakz is an idiot aye
Nah all i notice is that you guys have nothin else to do but just reply shitty things to my messages, seriously "just piss off". Keep to the thread topic. I guess helping people is even wrong these days.......very sad :(.
-> ALSO this is not engineering MUSK, its a thread about business, which you always criticize.

Last edited:

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
Isn't UTS a rubbish uni?

My advice is to apply for B Ec at UNSW and then transfer to B Com in first year as you are not forced to do a major from Economics.

If you're considering UTS, you're probably not good enough to get a Economist-type job, which are few and far between since the supply of economics grads is high. Better off considering a career in accounting with more jobs.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
You're an idiot. Just a different label for almost the same thing. BCom is clearly better as it's less restrictive.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
politik said:
Go to the ASOB student desk and ask to enroll in the Pure Econometrics major with your Commerce degree then.

OH WAIT, YOU CAN'T!
There is an equivalent Business Statistics major. Like I said, it's just a different label.

Hakz

Proud Member
HSC
N/A
Musk said:
Why do business students always keep fighting about their degrees, in 5 years no one is gonna give a shit about them but focus on how your performing at work.
huh same applies to engineering though, half of what you'se learn isnt used at work (unless u do research), a person from tafe with a diploma does an engineers job.

Yes after 5 years they wont care anyway they will be more interested experience.

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
Hakz said:
huh same applies to engineering though, half of what you'se learn isnt used at work (unless u do research), a person from tafe with a diploma does an engineers job.
Yeah, my cousin graduated with an advanced diploma of accounting at Tafe NSW and now he is the head engineer in the NASA Exploratory program and a sitting member of the NASA Executive.

Last edited:

Hakz

Proud Member
HSC
N/A
ari89 said:
Yeah, my cousin graduated with an advanced diploma of accounting at Tafe NSW and now he is the head engineer in the NASA Exploratory program and a sitting member of the NASA Executive.
stop messing around.

Hakz

Proud Member
HSC
N/A
Musk said:
heh no, tafe engineering courses is for local government only
not tru with the current decline in engineers even private will take up tafe ones, but of course less pay since their qualifications are less. But of cause its better to still have degree lol. I speak from experience (engineer in family).

Last edited:

-pari-

HSC
N/A
offtopic much?!
leave the poor guy [hakz] alone and stop trying to discredit everything he says.

get over it. we are, if you didn't notice, on an internet forum. if you have a substantial argument, go somewhere it will make a difference.

if this guys' got a bloody opinion let him say it.

as for the topic:
i've heard that b.eco is more theoretically based, and b.com/b.bus is more generic and business orientated - less on the intricacies of the economy. so choose the course depending on which will better suit where you want to go eventually....

Last edited:

uhawww

Flakes
HSC
-pari- said:
offtopic much?!
leave the poor guy [hakz] alone and stop trying to discredit everything he says.

get over it. we are, if you didn't notice, on an internet forum. if you have a substantial argument, go somewhere it will make a difference.

if this guys' got a bloody opinion let him say it.

as for the topic:
i've heard that b.eco is more theoretically based, and b.com/b.bus is more generic and business orientated - less on the intricacies of the economy. so choose the course depending on which will better suit where you want to go eventually....
The original poster asked for advice, not an uneducated opinion.

More theoretically based? You know how degrees/majors work, right?

efhat

HSC
um hello? you can do a double major in b.business as well.......they have so many majors to choose from its scary!......and from experience with three very accomplished accountatnts in the family, they have told me that uts graduates are much more in demand than syd ones when it comes to accounting......so there uts doesnt suck......its actually been awarded best business faculty in nsw

uhawww

Flakes
HSC
efhat said:
um hello? you can do a double major in b.business as well.......they have so many majors to choose from its scary!......and from experience with three very accomplished accountatnts in the family, they have told me that uts graduates are much more in demand than syd ones when it comes to accounting......so there uts doesnt suck......its actually been awarded best business faculty in nsw
LOL

uhawww

Flakes
HSC
uhawww said:
Ok I guess I should add a little more to that.

No shit you can double major under it, my response was directed at Hakz's retarded 'opinion' stating that you'd make more money with a B.Business, when he clearly has no idea what either degree's about, nor at the recognition of the name of your instituion that comes into play, especially if the original poster wants to work overseas.

The poster who compared B.eco to a B.comm stating that an eco degree is more theoretically based was also stupid, since they are both the same thing other than being forced to major in econ under a B.eco. If they said something like.. an econ major is more theoretically based compared to a major that isn't, then fair enough (even then, that probably isn't the case).

That wasn't the case though, instead the thread is now full of stupid posts giving people seeking help the wrong idea.

Last edited:

is a roflcopter
HSC
yanxx

take the b.eco at unsw

im not sure what your 'asian parents' expect, but it seems uts doesnt register very well during family dinners when they brag about their kids :)

Conspirocy

HSC
Look the B Ec is more restrictive in that you have to do an Economics major. There are a number of reasons why this is not a problem if you know you want to do an accounting major.

1. Having started in the B Ec at UNSW I can honestly say that all you need to do is maintain an average of around 60 and they will allow you to transfer to B Com so you can avoid the eco major.

2. You can do the double major in the B Ec, which means you can do your accounting major and the business law subjects you need for CA/CPA. Further, since I am doing an Eco major at unsw I can tell you that you can select subjects so as to avoid doing anything remotely hard or theoretical, like a lot of people have mentioned is a downside. Basically, you can make the Eco major very easy, I have friends who have done this. If all you want is accounting I don’t see the problem with taking easy options in economics.

3. UNSW is a much better uni that UTS. If you have Asian parents they will realise that. Accounting is much better at UNSW. I'm going to get attacked for being biased or not knowing what I'm talking about. Basically my view is that yes UTS graduates get good jobs and they have this industry based degree. I personally think from the marks I hear from UTS that either their marks are inflated, their exams are easy, or both. I could be wrong, they could just be kick ass and no one realises it. I doubt it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)