• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

band 6 cut-off (1 Viewer)

sweetalmond

HSC
N/A
Okay, so I just wanted to ask a question about where does a band 6 cut-off in the hsc exam. So if you got a band 6 in ancient history in the hsc, meaning you got 90 or above does that mean you only lost 10 marks or does that mean that your raw mark got scaled up to a band 6.
The chemistry teacher at my school says a band 6 in chemistry is roughly around 76 - 77. Does that mean it gets scaled up to 90?
thanx :D
Also what are the general band 6 cut-offs for subjects like history, society and culture, extension history, ext. english, mathematics etc.

HSC
Okay, so I just wanted to ask a question about where does a band 6 cut-off in the hsc exam. So if you got a band 6 in ancient history in the hsc, meaning you got 90 or above does that mean you only lost 10 marks or does that mean that your raw mark got scaled up to a band 6.
The chemistry teacher at my school says a band 6 in chemistry is roughly around 76 - 77. Does that mean it gets scaled up to 90?
thanx :D
Also what are the general band 6 cut-offs for subjects like history, society and culture, extension history, ext. english, mathematics etc.
Firstly it's aligned not scaled.

If you got a 90 (band 6) in history, your raw mark would be less than this mark. Raw marks are not sent to students (unless they pay i believe) and are lower than the HSC marks you receive. The exam committee determines the difficulty of the exam and sets raw mark for each band accordingly. Yes your chemistry teacher is correct, generally a raw mark in that area gets aligned to a 90 HSC mark. However, do not think that achieving 76 is easy because it isn't. The marking criteria is brutal, and wants you to not only be concise in your answers, but also demonstrate cohesiveness and sophistication.

trungduong12

HSC

If you got a 90 (band 6) in history, your raw mark would be less than this mark. Raw marks are not sent to students (unless they pay i believe) and are lower than the HSC marks you receive. The exam committee determines the difficulty of the exam and sets raw mark for each band accordingly. Yes your chemistry teacher is correct, generally a raw mark in that area gets aligned to a 90 HSC mark. However, do not think that achieving 76 is easy because it isn't. The marking criteria is brutal, and wants you to not only be concise in your answers, but also demonstrate cohesiveness and sophistication.
So its changing from year to year right?
where do we get that raw marks from the past few years do u know?
Also for subjects like business studies or economics, someone said that its possible to get 90+ raw, does that mean this mark is not gonna go up like chem or maths?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A

Small correction. It is NOT the exam committee that sets the raw marks for the bands.

The exam committee sets the exam and prepares the marking criteria.

When the SOM, Senior Markers and Pilot Markers get together they also check that the criteria works for the questions and can make minor changes to the criteria set by the exam committee - the senior examiner is usually also involved at this process if not a SM in his/her own right.

The markers then come in and mark the papers.

Meanwhile a group of the markers are appointed as judges - markers whose first contact with the marking criteria is after the exam committee and the SOM/SMs etc have finalised the marking criteria. These judges then have to work with the marking criteria, the exam, and the band performance descriptors to determine the cut-offs for each year's exam. They work individually and collectively but they don't have to agree on the final recommended cut-off but their averaged recommendations as individuals will be the cut-off.

The senior examiner will only find out the recommended cut-off when there is a meeting with the BOS Consultative Committee, which is also when the SOMs finds out the recommended cut-off.

HSC
Small correction. It is NOT the exam committee that sets the raw marks for the bands.

The exam committee sets the exam and prepares the marking criteria.

When the SOM, Senior Markers and Pilot Markers get together they also check that the criteria works for the questions and can make minor changes to the criteria set by the exam committee - the senior examiner is usually also involved at this process if not a SM in his/her own right.

The markers then come in and mark the papers.

Meanwhile a group of the markers are appointed as judges - markers whose first contact with the marking criteria is after the exam committee and the SOM/SMs etc have finalised the marking criteria. These judges then have to work with the marking criteria, the exam, and the band performance descriptors to determine the cut-offs for each year's exam. They work individually and collectively but they don't have to agree on the final recommended cut-off but their averaged recommendations as individuals will be the cut-off.

The senior examiner will only find out the recommended cut-off when there is a meeting with the BOS Consultative Committee, which is also when the SOMs finds out the recommended cut-off.
Thankyou!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)