• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

being "pulled up" (1 Viewer)

-pari-

HSC
N/A
i've heard its quite normal for your final marks to be pulled up a few marks
not sure which marks: hsc, internals or externals...

i think they say its either cause a) you go to a high ranking school b) your internals were relatively hard.

anyway
to what extent can i expect/rely on my marks to be pulled up a bit if i'm not ranking first in subject?

and how does it work??

HSC
its the moderation dealy

after you finish your exams your teacher sends in the ranks and their estimate your final mark.

if in the exam everyone goes collectively better than their estimated marks, the BoS assumes that your school mustve been given hard tests compared to the rest of the state and as a result they bring up your school marks..how much they bring it up depends on the degree of improvement. so after the trials when you've finished competing for ranks, help each other out

its also the reason why people say marks are more important than ranks.

-pari-

HSC
N/A
but - this is what i don't get - even if they pull up your school marks - you're RANKS stay the same right?

so say i came 1st for religion. internally, i get a mark of 80.

moderated this becomes 85.

in the externals, the highest mark in my grade/class is 96, while ME, I get 94 in the externals.

so since i came first wouldn't i still get 96 as my mark for my internal while keeping 94 for the externals.

so my final hsc mark would be (96 + 94)/2
..?
so where does the moderated mark (85) make a difference?

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
-pari- said:
but - this is what i don't get - even if they pull up your school marks - you're RANKS stay the same right?

so say i came 1st for religion. internally, i get a mark of 80.

moderated this becomes 85.

in the externals, the highest mark in my grade/class is 96, while ME, I get 94 in the externals.

so since i came first wouldn't i still get 96 as my mark for my internal while keeping 94 for the externals.

so my final hsc mark would be (96 + 94)/2
..?
so where does the moderated mark (85) make a difference?
where did you get 85 from?
so in a scenario like this, you come 1st in religion with internal mark of 80.
in the externals the highest was 96, while you got 94.
that 94 that you got stays as your hsc exam mark, while your moderated assessment mark is 96, so theoretically, your final mark should be 95.
have nfi where you get your 85 from

normally such a huge gap between marks is because one student does really bad in externals (usually middle or bottom), but then comes up and rips the exam, so youll probably see the biggest gaps in terms of moderated assessment marks and hsc exam marks there

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
haha probably a typo
but yes just to reiterate...ranks are much more important than marks

-pari-

HSC
N/A
oohhh ^ you're typo confused me :) thats kinda where the 85 came from ...i think lol

i get it now :)

jbax89

HSC
jemsta said:
haha probably a typo
but yes just to reiterate...ranks are much more important than marks

so basically.... im going rather shitty in my exams however im ranked rather high in various subjects... does this mean my shit marks of say 60% or so wont mean too much since my rank is in top 2 or 3 :confused: im shitting myself with my marks hence why im trying to build them up now though if i maintain my ranks (or rise a few ranks) and my marks raise just a tad (say 10%) it is semi possible to finish up with a uai of say 55-60?

this is what im hoping for :D

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
if youre ranked high, then thats the most important thing. maybe your school sets hard exams, if you think you didnt do as well as you would have liked.
if youre ranked 2nd internally, then basically you get the second highest mark in the hsc exam for that subject.
with your ranks, depending on how many people are in each subject, you could almost get 70 pretty easily i assume.
keep trying :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)