• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Belonging and "Bend it like beckham" (1 Viewer)

marcus1227

HSC
Hey guys/gals!
I have chosen to do "Bend it like beckham" for my related text for an English speech.
the aspects of belonging in this movie, their are the obvious ones but there are probably some i have not picked up on ??
Cheers
Marcus

Zephyrio

HSC
What about, don't do the text because it is really overdone? I'm being honest with you...

marcus1227

HSC
It is due in Thursday. so i kind of have to stick with the movie i just need a for more notes on it etc.

Anyway i need a bit more information? Help is greatly appreciated!!

Last edited:

krystal.

HSC
i have two sort of "belonging" situations i suppose, that are concerned with this movie:

- the first: attempting to belong to the 'contempoprary society'
- the second: attempting to belong to a female soccer team and gain acceptance in order to succeed in the male dominated sport.

jennieTalia

HSC
krystal. said:
i have two sort of "belonging" situations i suppose, that are concerned with this movie:

- the first: attempting to belong to the 'contempoprary society'
- the second: attempting to belong to a female soccer team and gain acceptance in order to succeed in the male dominated sport.

How about:
NON-BELONGING
-the sense of rejection that occurs due to a possible sexual orientation this is seen through both her friend being gay, and her being incorrectly accused of lesbianism!!
-cultural/racial rejection on either side, you hear them say "he's not black is he" and things like that about a presumed boyfriend and the lady who plays Keira Knightleys mum treats her all different because she is Indian. Also at the game when she is called a "paki", a very awful racial slur in England.
-Lack of belonging due to gender goes deeper, with even the guy friends treating her separately and there being expectations that mean she feels she cannot belong due to her personality.

BELONGING
-Culture is all embracing, they are very much a closed community.
-Attempting to belong to arranged marriages is discussed.
-Belong to a family, idea of family honour.
-Belonging to a friendship group, certain obligations, expectations etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)