• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Belonging Essay Problems (1 Viewer)

annh

HSC
N/A
Hey everyone,
it's the first time I'm posting anything here as I have just learnt how to use this :D

Anyways, it seems that Belonging is becoming a problem for me. It took me long enough to actually understand what we're supposed to do. My teacher set us with an essay, "How The Simple Gift depicts belonging'. I struggled with that and when I finally came up with something she gave me a B- which is unsatisfactory :(
I've struggled with journeys too in year 11. My portfolio and assignments were okay but my essays were horrible.

How do I improve essay writing for Belonging?

Bobbo1

HSC
Just try thinking about what the key themes of belonging and not belonging which is depicted in The Simple Gift and then find quotes specifically for these. From here try and understand what these quotes really mean, i.e. why has Herrick used this - try and look at detail as well as the big picture here. Now that you have your quotes and analysis down, think of a common thesis, i.e. a central idea which can be applied to all your paragraphs. In each of your paragraphs, try and create a final linking statement about your thesis. <-- This is a really vague description and the above link I found one of the BEST guides you will find.

P.S: I can send you a sample of my belonging essay (The Simple Gift) if you wish

annh

HSC
N/A

D94

HSC
N/A
You need to have a personal definition of belonging. Once you've established that, you can then pick lines which are related to your definition of belonging.

I did TSG, so essentially, I said that physical/emotional security is pertinent to feeling a sense of belonging. For example, I looked at how Billy feels secure at Old Bill's home thus he had a sense of belonging. So long as you have a basis of your discussion, you should be able to write a decent essay.

annh

HSC
N/A
Hey ya'll. I just had an in class assessment and it's an essay. Spent a long time on planning it and it's the longest essay I've ever written, personally. My paragraphs were really large, almost a page. Should I be splitting them up instead or just keeping it the same way? Technically, I'm still talking about the same point so I felt it wasn't necessary to split it but I ended up with three mega paragraphs

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Only split up your paragraphs if they are like 1.5-2 pages. Most good paragraphs are around a page each.

annh

HSC
N/A
a page? wow, okay. I was worried that I was making them too long. Thanks for the assurance :)

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
a page? wow, okay. I was worried that I was making them too long. Thanks for the assurance :)
Mine reached 1.5 pages at times but my writing is atrocious. So, meh.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
a page long written out, in a hsc booklet. not typed.
This.
Shit... if it was a page typed with no space for paragraphs it would be like a whole essay.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)