• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Best time to secure accomodation for 2009? (1 Viewer)

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Hey fellas and em,

I'm looking to secure off campus accomodation for the first time since I started uni. Some sort of budget share house arrangement with strangers. With all the kiddies wanting to move to the city early next year, I'm worried about when the best time is to balance free accomodation on the market vs. not paying rent for weeks I don't need to.

If I try to find a place in the last week of Feb, I'm guessing the market will be all tapped out.

Any opinions?

I was thinking early Feb mabye, will there still be a good choice?

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
It won't be tapped out, but will be more competitive. Renting in Newcastle is always hard, but especially hard as all of the new uni students come scurrying and desperate to find a place.

My advice is definitely start to start looking now, even though you don't want anything now. You need to get a feel for the market so you know what to expect when you start looking for real.

The other thing you need to remember is that every suburb/street in Newcastle has good and bad parts, so be open minded but never go for somewhere unless you inspect.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Cheers,

Who would move somewhere without inspecting first :confused:

~untitled~

HSC
Yesterday.

(even though you werent asking me, as i don't fall under the category of "fellas", or "em").

I moved into a place without inspection this year, was a big mistake, then had to stay there for an entire year.

Last edited:

em_516

bludging..
HSC
~untitled~ said:
(even though you werent asking me, as i don't fall under the category of "guys", or "em").
You're quite welcome to stand under the 'em' umbrella if you're game :)

Last edited:

Charity F

póg mo thóin
HSC
N/A
i've been worrying about securing appropriate accomodation for next year, but mum doesn't seem so concerned - her idea is to wait for proper confirmation, and then camp out at a family friends for the first month or so until something is worked out. but i still maintain that there won't be much of a choice (of a place and housemates) if we leave it so late

out of curiosity, just how bad does it get around march/april?
(i.e. virtually impossible? :()

~untitled~

HSC
Charity F said:
i've been worrying about securing appropriate accomodation for next year, but mum doesn't seem so concerned - her idea is to wait for proper confirmation, and then camp out at a family friends for the first month or so until something is worked out. but i still maintain that there won't be much of a choice (of a place and housemates) if we leave it so late

out of curiosity, just how bad does it get around march/april?
(i.e. virtually impossible? :()
Really bad idea if you want to choose where you live or if you want to live anywhere decent.

Last edited:

em_516

bludging..
HSC
I'm pretty sure it's shit right now anyway, no matter the timing.
It's probably too late for on-campus by now yeh?

chamelia

HSC
I am thinking of moving up for Honours year. I remember looking last year for a place and it was difficult to find something that matched what I wanted. Eh, the earlier you begin - and can get a grip of what's out there and for how much, the better you would be.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)