• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Biology HSC - Style of Answering (1 Viewer)

Lukybear

HSC
My Biology teacher, who is a past marker, has constantly told us that answering in both Biology and Chemistry requires dot points. She outlines that dot points are more methodical, and easier to give marks to, and I can witness the benefits of this method of answering. However my question is, will the markers deduct marks for dot points?

I just wanna know the personal experience from anyone, including past band 6ers in biology, in the way that they answered Biology HSC questions. Has anyone actually used dot points to answer questions before? If so what did you get?

HSC
to me, dot points sounds stupid but thats just what i personally think.

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC
For the short answer q's, perhaps, but I'd avoid it for the longer questions.

I guess I personally prefer to write my answers in full sentences though.

Yes, I received a band 6 in Biology in 2008.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
I used dotpoints for structuring my answers on the side, but when it came to actually answering the question, full sentences was the way to go for me.

On the other hand, I don't think you will get marks deducted for using dot points, so long as you provide clear, succinct and straight-to-the-point answers. I think within their exam comments, markers have noted that students who used dot points made it much more clearer and simpler for them to mark.

Lukybear

HSC
Hm. I guess i do need to read some exam comments. Thanks to all.

Althought more imput will be helpful, i.e. some who actually used dot points before. Just for the expereience.

Shoom

HSC
N/A
I just did the CSSA, chemistry paper and I found that using dotpoints for CERTAIN questions is much more productive then writing a sentenced response.

The question was Identify the conditions under which fermentation of sugars occurs, I simply put:

* Anaroebic environment
* Temperature of 37 degrees
* Yeast nutrients must be present.

Sorry about the spelling.

Brontecat

HSC
one of the science prac teachers at my school went to a science study day and came back telling us how great it was to use dotpoints (for the right kind of dotpointy questions) and showed the class an example of a band 3/4 answer that as written and a band 5/6 answer that used dotpoints - so in a way they are better for they right type of questions

Last edited:
HSC
My Bio teacher recommends dot points for answering. He says it gets to the point quicker (thus not wasting time on other questions), you avoid rambling on about irrelevant information, and it is usually easier/better to read for them.. Basically saying that he doesn't wanna read essays.

nate-

HSC
Biology, contrary to popular belief is a science not english therefore like LiveLaughLove said markers don't want to see essays or like my teacher reminds us every other lesson "waffling on about nonsense."

Starstruck

HSC
N/A
IDK some subjects they like you to write like freaking pages and although the sciences aren't like that, I'm not sure everyone will let you get away with simply putting dot points as answers.

Maybe when its appropriate, like when you need to list alot of things in a tiny amount of space, but unless I'm really pressed for time in an exam, I like to write all mine out in full scentences.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)