• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Bird Flu (1 Viewer)

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
tamiflu and relenza ... u can go pay $70 for it.. and get fined if u happened to be found importing it cos its controlled substance.. if it happens to get picked up..
also its cheaper in aust from memory.. than if u bought it from the net.. . but srsly.. if u want to up the resistance and breed a crazy strain in u... why not do it without a physician.. ...

Relenza vs Tamiflu welll there is no good evidence to suggest Relenza is superior... in fact both are experiencing viral resistance with avian flu (H5N1)..

and one of the chemical is from chinese star anise (not japanese, a toxic species) .. but it goes through sooo many steps before u get the tamiflu.. i heard they have figured another way to make the acid without star anise

its lik McDonalds.... wheat and cow.. then u get cheeseburger?.. its even more complex..
also Roche has a 20 yr patent from like 1999.. like all drugs.. i dun think they will give it up for some bird flu that it isnt even sure tat it works with.

azzie

so delicious...
HSC
Now that they've found a strain that's resistant to Tamiflu, Relenza is going to be more highly demanded. But I guess it's just a matter of time before the flu mutates again so it's resistant to both...

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
unless its a rumour from GSK to make Roche sales drop... lolz. its happened before :(

azzie

so delicious...
HSC
the link is on the first page :)
a basic sum up is that they found a case in China where Tamiflu was ineffective.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Bird flu a threat - yes.

The reason the close similarity between it and spanish influenza, which killed millions worldwide post WWI. Spanish influenza is apparently the big fear, its deadly, contagious and I don't believe we have a cure/innoculation.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Im more worried about the dreaded fish swam

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
I remember on the news they said the pandemic was inevitable :| Maybe I heard wrong but it was TV awhile ago.

Its moved towards Europe now and people are being quarantined.

cimbom

HSC
It's getting worse... three children from the same family have died in Eastern Turkey. It's basically happening there because of the Van Lake... where all those diseased birds settle on their intercontinental journeys. I don't know what's going on in Croatia and Romania, but Turkish fisherman are happy with there being less chicken... seafood the next least expensive meat available for consumption.

I'm really not sure how much more serious it's going to get, but a fourth person has been diagnosed. They're mostly concerned with children- hospitals are filled with people wanting their kids to be checked, just in case. But Turkey being on the 'borders' of Europe and everything... a pandemic (?) even if this is all happening in the East near Armenia and Iran.
http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/bird-flu-threat-mounts-in-turkey/2006/01/08/1136655074808.html

Last edited:

HotShot

-_-
HSC
u can only catch from an infected person, or a live bird that has the infection. Cooked birds are fine! -yum!

sparkl3z

HSC
N/A
no u cant, human to human is very unlikely at the moment, BUT it only needs one mutation in the virus to take it out of chickens and make human to human contraction possible, i'm not eating any chickens or birds anytime soon, me stickin to my fish!

felixcthecat

HSC
tamflu's been critisised of creating psycological disorders especially to teens? mhmmm did i use the right words? =Z u won't wanna suicide after taking tamiflu rite after u finished studying for the HSC XP.. all ur hard work go to a waste =(

HotShot

-_-
HSC
sparkl3z said:
no u cant, human to human is very unlikely at the moment, BUT it only needs one mutation in the virus to take it out of chickens and make human to human contraction possible, i'm not eating any chickens or birds anytime soon, me stickin to my fish!
UR AN IDIOT DIDNT U READ MY POST, I JUST SAID COOKED BIRDS ARE FINE. THE ONLY PEOPLE AT RISK ARE THOSE WHO SLAUGHTER THE BIRDS OR SOMEONE WHO HAS THE INFECTION WHO IS ABLE TO SPREAD.

SO COOKED CHICKEN IS FINE. PLUS THERE IS ALWAYS LAMB!-yum

felixcthecat

HSC
HotShot said:
UR AN IDIOT DIDNT U READ MY POST, I JUST SAID COOKED BIRDS ARE FINE. THE ONLY PEOPLE AT RISK ARE THOSE WHO SLAUGHTER THE BIRDS OR SOMEONE WHO HAS THE INFECTION WHO IS ABLE TO SPREAD.

SO COOKED CHICKEN IS FINE. PLUS THERE IS ALWAYS LAMB!-yum

lolz lamb ^^ hmm only if u cook ur chicken realli realli well, nothing raw, which would make the chicken not *yum* anymore =.=.. and it's also hard to cook the internal organs completely as well.. that's if u buy a whole chicken~ oh as well as the bones .. wutever!

HotShot

-_-
HSC
felixcthecat said:
lolz lamb ^^ hmm only if u cook ur chicken realli realli well, nothing raw, which would make the chicken not *yum* anymore =.=.. and it's also hard to cook the internal organs completely as well.. that's if u buy a whole chicken~ oh as well as the bones .. wutever!
they said the virus dies realtively quickly after the chicken dies. plus the chicken we eat aint that fresh so we are pretty safe.-- But who needs chicken when we have LAMB.

sparkl3z

HSC
N/A
wat r u talkin about?

"u can only catch from an infected person"
hello, u cant catch it from an infected person, it's very very very very rare AT THE MOMENT. that's wat i'm talkin about, i duno wat ur talkin about.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
.... wow..

anyways.. about Tamiflu and it causing psychological problems
ive never read about any psychological problems.. like becoming suicidal

there were about 10 deaths in Japan associated with Tamiflu but it was not linked to the drug... so they did result from its use

Human to Human spread is possible and there are no real clear proof.. although a treating nurse in vietnam managed to get it.. and they couldnt find other poultry exposure during his contact tracing cept to a patient...sparkl3z is right.. very rare..
they are investigating several cases in thailand n vietnam for person to person transmission

Viruses do not die.. they arent really alive either.. so a precaution is that we cook poultry + eggs well or avoid eating poultry + eggs from those regions (i prefer to avoid) and not get exposed to any of its body products lik faeces, nasal and respiratory secretions etc..
in vietnam there is a dish consisting of uncooked ducks blood that was a source.. it 2 cases..

HotShot said:
they said the virus dies realtively quickly after the chicken dies. plus the chicken we eat aint that fresh so we are pretty safe..
who told u this?
cos World Health Organisation found the virus in frozen duck meat too.. so if u prepped it after it died u could still get the flu.

and the children in turkey got the flu from playing with the heads of dead chicken..

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
HotShot said:
u can only catch from an infected person, or a live bird that has the infection. Cooked birds are fine! -yum!
At the moment there is no evidence that the virus has mutated to the extent that human-human tansfer of the virus is possible. All current cases involve people who have come into direct contact with infected birds.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
Rafy said:
At the moment there is no evidence that the virus has mutated to the extent that human-human tansfer of the virus is possible. All current cases involve people who have come into direct contact with infected birds.
Not completely true as there is suspicion that it has happened.

do you think we would stockpile influenza drugs otherwise?

cimbom

HSC
I'm pretty sure human/human transfer is possible... like, i know this is quite upsetting, but as the children were buried at the funeral the Imam and others present at the burial actually close to the bodies were wearing face masks. Is its transferability like relative to whether or not those diseased are living or not?

People are eating fish from lakes where dead chickens have been dumped also, this is still in Eastern Turkey. Can anything happen that way?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)