• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Bit Torrent [BT] (1 Viewer)

theone123

blue essence
HSC
I heard its P2P, but i dont know whats the advantage for it. Can anyone elaborate on this.

r0wlzii

Right. I wont delve into it too much as its not the most legal of programs when it comes to what the bandwith is used for. But you pretty much go to certain sites which then allow you to download certain files which you normally couldnt anywhere else...normally SHOULDNT anywhere else.

A torrent is a small download (about 1-50kb file) which, when opened, opens in a program such as Azureus, Bit-Torrent++, Bit Comet etc. This file contains server info from whatever site you downloaded it from about users who are downloading the file or have uploaded the file. As you are downloading the file from these peers you are also uploading the currentl downloaded amount to other users. You also have to setup your router settings, which is quite difficult on some routers, determining certain ports to be opened for inbound and outbound sources.

If you have ADSL Im suprised you havent been here before, if your on dial up dont bother. Heaps more people have gone to this style of file sharing than programs like KaZaA or Ares.

Its the best thing that has come out since Takeshis Castle. If you want to know "more" private message me.

Last edited:

get.regime

The implications of BT is pretty legitimate (sharing linux distros, game devs are releasing demos via it as opposed to getting copies out early to mirrors etc) but in practicallity its not used that often for legal purpose.

Oddly enough the creator has just recently been served legal notification from the Motion Pictures Assocaiton of America...

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
In regards to piracy i would imagine IRC is far greater problem for recording/movie producers compared to BT.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)