• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

BMusStudies/MBBS (1 Viewer)

jet

Banned
HSC
I just wanted to know if there were any people out there who were doing the BMusStudies/MBBS at USYD. It is something I am interested in and was just wondering whether it was worth it.

I not only want to pursue both areas after High School, but I see myself getting involved in both in terms of my career (composing on the side). Unfortunately I don't do Music 2 but I am studying AMEB 6th Grade theory to get up on the requirement.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

ssglain

HSC
I'm in the combined MBBS program, but I'm not doing B Mus/MBBS. I do know the 3 girls who were accepted last year for this particular combo. Most of them are like you - want to become doctors but also passionate about music. I think one of the great things about the combined MBBS program at USYD is that it caters to students with a diverse range of interests.

The structure of all the combinations is this:
Yr 1-3 Bachelor of X (X being Arts, Business, Economics, Med Sci, Music, Sci (Adv))
You are basically just like any normal student in this degree. You need to follow all the course rules and meet the graduation requirement for this degree before moving on to MBBS. During these 3 years, you have to complete 3 courses which are mandatory for all combined MBBS students - communicating effectively in teams, medical research ethics and a research project.
Students in the degrees other than B Med Sci and B Sci (Adv) are required to complete at least one 1st year biology/molecular biology & genetics and one 1st year chemistry subject as electives.

Yr 4-7 MBBS
You study MBBS together with all the other students who were admitted through the graduate entry stream (meaning that they first completed at least a bachelor degree, attained a high grade point average and high GAMSAT score, and passed the interview).

One more thing which may be of interest - even though the $10000/yr Scholarship for Outstanding Achievement is usually only awarded to students who got 99.95 or more UAI (which is everybody in the arts and science combos which have a cut-off of 99.95 UAI), students in B Mus/MBBS (which has a cut-off of 99.5) are given a special combined med scholarship of equal value - so that's $10000/yr for the 7yr duration of the combined degree.

Last edited:

jet

Banned
HSC
Wow, thank you so much.
I would really like to get in, though i'm really unsure whether i will.
I didnt know about that scholarship...that would be a great help.

xxstef

languages are my world <3
HSC
damn, i've found a rival yes, i want to do music med too :D

what level music are you at? and what do you play?

the 'acceptin 3 students'part is putting me off atm though.. :cold:

truestar92

HSC
hmm I'd like to do a course similar to BMusStudies/MBBS but probably instead of music (although its one of my fav subs) i'd probably do a bachelor of economics!
This is kind of scary because i dont think i'll make the cut off :)O 99.95) I'll just have to study superhard.

How many people do they usually let do these combined courses?

jet

Banned
HSC
xxstef said:
damn, i've found a rival yes, i want to do music med too :D

what level music are you at? and what do you play?

the 'acceptin 3 students'part is putting me off atm though.. :cold:
The 3 students thing puts me off aswell.

Ive been playing since year 8 and I'm seventh grade. I play piano, but i did try g'tar and i have taught myself clarinet. I also have a violin but find myself lacking in time. You???

xxstef

HSC
jetblack2007 said:
The 3 students thing puts me off aswell.

Ive been playing since year 8 and I'm seventh grade. I play piano, but i did try g'tar and i have taught myself clarinet. I also have a violin but find myself lacking in time. You???
wow, only 4years worth of piano and already in 7th grade, without any music background? thats pretty impressive.

i passed my amus in piano in may this year (but ive learnt since i was 7..) and i picked up viola in jan last year and finished 6th grade exam in october this year :)

still wanting to pick up more instruments though! i play chinese flute and guitar when i have time.

how much competition is there for music med actually? is it popular? its a rather.. specific combination..

jet

Banned
HSC
I'm not sure how much competition there is. You are actually the only other person I have heard of who wants to do it.

Amus...wow. I've heard of a lot of people who have done it at my age. I have never really had a chance to begin piano until year 8. My core performance piece for Music 1 is amus though. I really want to learn viola. I think its a beautiful instrument.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
Something to consider:

At UNSW in the BA/MBBS degree you can major in music. Of course, it is nowhere near as intensive as the USyd Conservatorium programs and has much less focus on practical work (performance/composition), instead featuring more essays and musicology. Nonetheless, it's an option which is out there.

ssglain

HSC
I posted the numbers in another thread:

ssglain said:
As for numbers, there are 52 students in total from 2006-2008:
'06 - 6 science
'07 - 13 science, 2 arts and 3 music
'08 - 22 science, 3 arts and 3 music
(science includes both B Sc (Sdv) and B Med Sci )

The faculty doesn't have approval to receive more than 30 students per year and the planned intake for '09 is 20 students.

xxstef

HSC
jetblack2007 said:
Amus...wow. I've heard of a lot of people who have done it at my age. I have never really had a chance to begin piano until year 8. My core performance piece for Music 1 is amus though. I really want to learn viola. I think its a beautiful instrument.
yeah i havnt heard of any other mus/med wannabes either, well for '10 entry anyway.

what's the amus piece? are you planning to use your hsc pieces for the con audition or learn new pieces?

i think im just sticking to the ones i use in hsc, its too hard to learn new ones.

bluedancing

HSC
N/A
Does anyone in the bos got into BMusStudies/MBBS 2009 entry?
Or does anyone know someone who got it? How many were offered? UAI? What levels are their music and instruments? Could someone please help! I am extremely keen on this course and would like to plan early, thanks.

xxstef

HSC
looking up the offers thing on bos, i see 3ppl got in.
i know of lillian so, she's pretty damn good (violin). no idea what uai or anything about the others though.

bluedancing, what year are you in atm?

ssglain

HSC
I have some news regarding the Faculty of Medicine Music-Medicine Program Scholarship.

The value of the scholarship is $5000 per year for a maximum of 3 years. It will only be awarded to the top 2 students who enrol in B Mus/MBBS in any given year.

There is a slight possibility that this one will be given out in addition to the 7 x $10000 pa Scholarship for Outstanding Achievement. However I have a strong feeling that it's a replacement.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)