• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Bob Dylan Movie: I'm Not There (Footage of Cate Blanchett as Bob Dylan Inside) (1 Viewer)

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC

Directed by Todd Haynes.

The following will portray Bob Dylan in seven aspects of his life

Christian Bale (Batman Begins, The Prestige, American Psycho)
Cate Blanchett (Elizabeth, Little Fish)
Marcus Carl Franklin (Some kid)
Richard Gere (can't be bothered naming)
Heath Ledger (Brokeback Mountain, A Knights Tale)
Ben Whishaw (Perfume: Story of a Murder)

and David Cross as Allen Ginsberg

Here is uncanny (UNCANNY) footage of Cate Blanchett as Bob Dylan

Live Leak

Youtube

Now don't go huffing and puffing about her being too feminine in her actions and stuff. I mean, she IS a woman. For me, every now and then, there are a few seconds where I can suspend disbelief and accept the character as Bob Dylan. I'm totally amazed. Other times I'm like "lol".

I am TOTALLY curious about how Christian Bale and Richard Gere will contribute. :/

imdb.com said:
Formerly going by the title of "I'm Not There: Suppositions on a Film Concerning Dylan", this is a film about the life of Bob Dylan. The film follows seven characters, each embodying a different aspect of Dylan's life story and music. It's the first biographical feature project to secure the approval of the pop culture icon. The film is about the life of Bob Dylan's early days as a struggling folksinger, the rise to the forefront of the early-'60s folk scene, the controversial switch to rock, the motorcycle accident and the subsequent retreat from public view, and the latter-day de-emphasis of recording and concentration on the concert series known as the Never Ending Tour. Sounes somehow has uncovered some new information in that oft-scanned showbiz legend, mostly about Dylan's childhood and his jealously guarded family life. Some of it actually provides further insight into his songs, particularly those about his wife, Sara (Gainsbourg). Sounes also blows the lid off Dylan's heretofore unknown 1986 marriage to one of his backup singers. Each story expresses an aspect of Dylan's mercurial personality and each story is to be filmed differently, in a style appropriate to its theme: Woody (Franklin) - an 11-year-old black boy, always on the run; Robbie - a womanizing performer, always on the road; Jude (Blanchett) - the young androgynous rock star; John/Jack (Bale) - a folk idol who reinvents himself as an evangelist; Billy (Gere) - the famous outlaw, miraculously alive but growing old

Out Boxing Day!

GASP!

Last edited:

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
Blanchett wtf?
Sounds interesting, love Dylan so I'll see it

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
esp "It was Allen Ginsberg man"

I just totally jaw dropped. I totally forgot about the character being played by Cate.

runtlocks

the diff'rence
HSC
Sounds like a big fat gimmick. I think Blanchett did a fantastic job getting the image and the whole movement down.

Will see it though

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
This is the movie that had every tabloid, and even the Herald, gasping at Blanchett's alarming, drastic and unhealthy weight loss. Take a hint folks, look at an actor's IMDb page and see what her upcoming roles are before you humiliate yourself.

But as for the movie, it looks terribly pretentious. I'm a Haynes fan, but 7 different actors to play Dylan? I'll remain a skeptic till I see it.

icecreamdisco

HSC
there's a trailer here.

it premiered at the telluride film fest a few hours ago - you can read (mostly ecstatic) reactions here. i can't wait, it looks like the first truly original film haynes has made.

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
i do love me some haynes, but i have to say...

...when i saw cate's part in the trailer, i nearly died laughing. i really do not understand why she is playing bob dylan. i mean, why? she's a woman. is it a comedy? i think they should cut her out.

...i may eat my words on boxing day, but i think it looks stupid.

icecreamdisco

HSC
AlleyCat said:
i do love me some haynes, but i have to say...

...when i saw cate's part in the trailer, i nearly died laughing. i really do not understand why she is playing bob dylan. i mean, why? she's a woman. is it a comedy? i think they should cut her out.
omg, why r u so literal!? the different actors are playing different aspects of dylan's life. stick with epic movie if you can't appreciate haynes' genius iconoclastic vision, you philistine. you don't want to watch epic movie now, don't you?

and cate's been getting raves across the board for this role; she's already the frontrunner for best supporting actress. though, if i remember correctly, you weren't impressed with her in notes on a bill nighy breakdown? why u be drinking the blanchett haterade? if you have to, hate on her for that shitty-looking elizabeth sequel. omg, i lol'ed so hard at that trailer.

oh, and hi alley. :eek:

Fish Sauce

HSC
N/A
I looked at the poster and thought, "David Cross as Bob Dylan?"

Alas, it wasn't to be.

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
icecreamdisco said:
omg, why r u so literal!? the different actors are playing different aspects of dylan's life. stick with epic movie if you can't appreciate haynes' genius iconoclastic vision, you philistine. you don't want to watch epic movie now, don't you?

and cate's been getting raves across the board for this role; she's already the frontrunner for best supporting actress. though, if i remember correctly, you weren't impressed with her in notes on a bill nighy breakdown? why u be drinking the blanchett haterade? if you have to, hate on her for that shitty-looking elizabeth sequel. omg, i lol'ed so hard at that trailer.

oh, and hi alley. :eek:
but its just so FORCED! i seriously laughed at her saying "what am i supposed to be feeeeeling?" and then i rewound it twice to that part and laughed again.

...as i said, i'm fully prepared to admit i was wrong on boxing day, which i may well be, but i dont think she followed her usual acting instincts with this one.

HOWEVER!!!

the "golden age" trailer had me laughing also, due to its female-gladiator-gandalf-pirates-of-the-carribean theme...

so

i propose we see both of these films together, for the comedy/argument value.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)