• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Bushfires (2 Viewers)

will-anal

Banned
HSC
TBH I think we should just go and punch some greenies. If the Greenies didn't bust a testicle over everything, people could do their own fire prevention (knock down trees, burn, etc) during the off season and we wouldn't have such vast mountains of natural fuel on the ground.

Phyk101

HSC
Mate all im trying to do is draw upon the link of age of consent and choosing to stay or leave. Your taking this way to far and originally you did say that 16 is a physical age when your ready for sex which is bullshit, when i was 14 people where having sex dude, so obviously 16 isent the age when your body allows its hahaha

Phyk101

HSC
Yeah but then untrained people who are lighting up there property to do a hazard reduction, start fires or kill themselves. Most fires are started by people doing a hazard reduction without permission

David Spade

Banned
HSC
N/A
I think we agreed that under 16 yr old children should be forcefully evacuated

Phyk101

HSC
Yes we have, we must press this decision to the government hehe. This topic has gone through so much discussion and argument it surely represent the views of NSW :p

Phyk101

HSC
Yeah thats so they can kill them off when they commit "adultry"

will-anal

Banned
HSC
I think we need to give most parents the benefit of the doubt though re: children

Looking at the children who died in the bushfires, reading the commission it appears as though most perished as a result of their parents trying to evacuate them too late, given the inadequate warning signal and ferocity of the fire.

In some cases, the parents had evacuated children to what they considered a safe area, went home to defend the fire and found out the children had perished at the "safe house".

The introduction of this law you guys are proposing is based on the assumption that parents are inherently irresponsible when it comes to their children, but I think in the majority, most parents would not willingly allow their children to remain in imminent danger.

will-anal

Banned
HSC
http://sixtym inutes.ninemsn.com.au/stories/822136/rising-from-the-ashes
case in point, this guy lives a few doors up from me now.

Makes me cry every time I watch it :(

Phyk101

HSC
Yet also the issue was, that the man (sorry sexist but true) bring in his "shell be right" attitude and ignores the warning and tells his family they will be fine and then at the last moment realises he is wrong and try's to evacuate unsuccessfully

David Spade

Banned
HSC
N/A
some parents give their children methadone to keep them quiet

in a situation where there is a good chance of death or injury, take the benefit of the doubt off the parents

if the children are evacuated there is no chance of them coming to harm at all, as opposed to some parents thinking they are doing a good job but putting the kids in a bath of water, then the house burning down anyway etc

Edit: above point is valid, that is why if an advanced warning system was set up, allowing people to make the decision (not about the kids, they are going either way)

Last edited:

will-anal

Banned
HSC
if the children are evacuated there is no chance of them coming to harm at all,
I wouldn't say there is no chance, but the chance of an unfavorable outcome is greatly reduced. In either instance, using the Victorian bushfires as examples isn't a great idea given the anomaly of the circumstances.

David Spade

Banned
HSC
N/A
I wouldn't say there is no chance, but the chance of an unfavorable outcome is greatly reduced. In either instance, using the Victorian bushfires as examples isn't a great idea given the anomaly of the circumstances.
yeah but

the risks will be greatly minimised

and stuff

Phyk101

HSC
Well I truly believe that the loss of life of Black Saturday will not be repeated, Hopefully the lessons learned from Victoria will stop this from happening again. And trust me, a lot of the red tape stopping the RFS from doing Hazard Reductions disappeared after Black Saturday.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Well I truly believe that the loss of life of Black Saturday will not be repeated, Hopefully the lessons learned from Victoria will stop this from happening again. And trust me, a lot of the red tape stopping the RFS from doing Hazard Reductions disappeared after Black Saturday.
I'm with katie.... I don't think that forcible evacuation of children is feasible...

1. it takes time that you don't necasserily have
2. parents will resist (will you arrest them? maybe shoot them?)

Oh and wait for the backlash when the bus full of kidnapped children is caught in the flame front and they all die...

David Spade

Banned
HSC
N/A
thats pretty far fetched and silly

they manage to evacuate hospitals full of injured and dying people, why not just run school bus services to pick up children?

Phyk101

HSC
If a forced evacuation is to take place, it cant be of just children it has to be everyone. Its definitely not feasible to expect parents when there natural instinct is to stay with there children to trust anyone else with there children's safety. Improving the warning and fire front predictions will allow authorities to make a confident request to the community that evacuation is required if you want to survive. This will make most people leave without being forced.

David Spade

Banned
HSC
N/A
Everyone should be given the opportunity to evacuate.

If people under 18 decide to stay with their families, that is their choice.
but obviously childrens instinct will be to stay with their parents and they may not fully understand the ramifications of their actions

these include dying

Phyk101

HSC
If you got the resources (aka army) Just pile everyone into trucks. I think the problem was that people dident know what to do and when to leave. Thats what killed people. If people dead or alive could look in hindsight they would have left hours before the fire came.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)