• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Can i get 99.95 with business studies? (2 Viewers)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
You do 12 units, so then it wouldn't count.

But yeah, although most people on this site say 'don't worry about scaling', 'you can get any atar with any subject' etc, if you want to get in the high 99s, that's when it becomes harder with poor scaling subjects.

The highest mark someone who did business studies got was 99.85, so take what you will from that.
Yeah, but that stat can change year by year. Seriously, when we say that 99.95 is possible with any subject combination - we mean it. No exceptions.

I think what people are neglecting to note is that it is VERY HARD to get a 99.95. Like I can't be bothered wrangling the exact number, but only 40 something get it out of thousands and thousands of students.

But on that note, sure the majority of kids getting 99.95 do go the 4U maths/chem/phys way, probably because those subjects attract a high percentage of academic students. However, many humanities kids do get 99.95 too. And getting a 99.95 or any ATAR for that matter, will be easier with the subjects you are INCLINED to-so if you are humanities inclined, it will be easier to 99.95 with business, eco, 4u english etc. and vice versa, a maths/science person would find getting 99.95 with 4u maths/phys etc. easier than humanities. I dare say that if they did not pick subjects to their strengths a 99.95 would be out of the question.

So if you are good at business, keep it.
Yes. Remember you're competing against everyone else for the ATAR. ATAR is an academic rank. You have to do damn well to get better than all those maths-based people who have the benefit of scaling, due to the higher intrinsic 'difficulty' in their course.

goobi

HSC
I don't know if this is a good example but I heard that someone from Baulko in 2009 got an ATAR of 99.95 with state rankings in three humanities subjects (can someone confirm this please?).

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Given the recent information by OP, do MX 2. Genuine intereat in maths and a massive incentive to study in it for the scaling? Sounds win win to me. And if you don't like business, I doubt you'll get the really high mark needed to get 99.95 with it counting.

To Shadow, for many people getting the top 80% in MX2 would be impossible, but the top 3% in business not so much.

alstah

HSC
Uni Grad
Marc Marinozzi got 99.95 last year with Ancient History, Studies of Religion I and Biology. Mind you, he did come 2nd in the state in Ancient and 4th in the state in Biology and Studies of Religion I (He did Economics too and came 4th in the state in that). But I know he did not do 4u maths like you do.

http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/ebos/static/TAINC_2010_12.html

I think with hard work and a high enough mark in *most* subjects you can achieve a 99.95 ATAR. Good luck!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)