• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Can you join the Army Reserve while at university? (1 Viewer)

Brontecat

HSC
According to their website you can:

"We realise there will inevitably be times when your Reserve activities will clash with other work, study, social, sporting, or family commitments. If, for example, you have exams or have to play in the local football final, it’s possible to organise time-off with your supervisor. The Army Reserve will try to work with you so you can continue to enjoy the life you lead now, as well as enjoy the opportunities and benefits the Army Reserve has to offer."

They also say if you want to be an officer that "You'll also need passes in at least four Year 12 subjects including English, or be a uni student or graduate." As well as successfully passing a fitness test and undergoing aptitude tests and an interview.

If you want to join as a soldier the requirements are the same except for the quoted part above. Soldiers only require a pass in year 9 mathematics and english.

Reserve | Army | Defence Jobs

Last edited:

izzy88

HSC
yep, fairly sure you can from what the website says. I've also seen the reserve having stalls at the usyd o-week.

The ADF also offers a sponsored undergraduate program, where after first year of university you can apply to be sponsored by the adf- ie. they pay your hecs, give you a wage etc, and after uni you can go through officer course and have a guaranteed job. It works for any university, and for most degrees.
link: University | Education | Defence Jobs

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
yeh, you can. i have heaps of mates who do this. Every 2-3 weeks you have to go to the base for friday night - sunday night. Then at the end of the year, and possibly breaks - you have to go and do training.

TheStallion

HSC
Sikhman is right, the education award is for ADFA applicants only.

Kittikhun

HSC
LOL if you want the education award: 1) You apply for ADFA, not reserves 2) It's a series of interviews, psych, essays and medical (no fitness for raaf/ran) 3) it takes a lot of effort - and you have to want to go to ADFA, otherwise they see straight through you
Mate, I'm not going for the Education Award! It's just way out of my league. If I go for it, I'll be up against the brightest students in the whole country who have worked hard their whole lives to be able to study at ADFA and who genuinely want to serve and protect Australia. I'm still not sure whether I should serve in the British, US or Australian Army or become an officer for that matter!

Yep, push ups for males are 15, minimum, and for females 8. Sit ups/crunches are 45 for both male and female. After finishing recruit training at Kapooka, I think they expect you to be able to do a minimum of 40 push ups, 100 sit ups/crunches and a 2.4 kilometre run in under 11 minutes and 30 seconds to be able to serve in the reserves.

Kittikhun

HSC
No, I'm only an Australian citizen. However, I am able to serve in the British Army since Australia is part of the Commonwealth and all citizens in the Commonwealth are allowed to serve in the British Army without any of them having any obligation to become a British citizen in the end. if I remember correctly. In all, there are 7 000 soldiers in the British Army who are from the Commonwealth and who do not have British citizenship.

http://www.army.mod.uk/join/15373.aspx

The British Army looks attractive since the opportunities and careers available in the British Army are much wider and diverse than offered in the ADF. Also, they will have a Parachute Regiment for some time to come whereas Australia will soon abandon its parachute battalion (3RAR) in 2011 for a light infantry battalion. Bloody government.

For the US Army, yes, you do need a Green Card, however to become an officer you must be a citizen of the United States. Also, I think going in enlisted in the US Army, it is expected of you to become a US citizen in the end. I'm not sure though. An Australian captain from 1st Commando whom I met at cadets served in the 3rd Marine Division for 3 years and still has his Australian citizenship after coming back home half a year ago.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
No, I'm only an Australian citizen. However, I am able to serve in the British Army since Australia is part of the Commonwealth and all citizens in the Commonwealth are allowed to serve in the British Army without any of them having any obligation to become a British citizen in the end. if I remember correctly. In all, there are 7 000 soldiers in the British Army who are from the Commonwealth and who do not have British citizenship.

Citizenship requirements - British Army Website

The British Army looks attractive since the opportunities and careers available in the British Army are much wider and diverse than offered in the ADF. Also, they will have a Parachute Regiment for some time to come whereas Australia will soon abandon its parachute battalion (3RAR) in 2011 for a light infantry battalion. Bloody government.

For the US Army, yes, you do need a Green Card, however to become an officer you must be a citizen of the United States. Also, I think going in enlisted in the US Army, it is expected of you to become a US citizen in the end. I'm not sure though. An Australian captain from 1st Commando whom I met at cadets served in the 3rd Marine Division for 3 years and still has his Australian citizenship after coming back home half a year ago.

That last one sounds like an exchange. These are typically for two or three years (based on the time that their kids are at my school when the Americans come here).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)