• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Can you vehemently oppose abortion and be pro-death penalty (1 Viewer)

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
Today I got challenged by a Christian that my belief (anti DP) was unjustified and that the killing of another human being is a morally justifiable action, if they have commited 'grave harm' to society. On the same token, they are vehemently opposed to abortion with their brainwashed, largely dogmatic belief of "pro-life" (that it is never ok to take a human life). At this point, I felt a conflict of logic. For the philosophers and NCAP brains alike, is this a viable opinion to hold?

Do your stances on death penalty and abortion have to align, given they are based on the same premise- eg "Life is precious/not precious"?

Last edited:

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
You don't have to bite the bullet.

Human life begins at birth/first-breath

Sidestepped.

mcflystargirl

HSC
N/A
I think she should re-examine her beliefs, the bible says murder is wrong, I take this to be applicable in both circimstances. However under old law it was not sinful in particular situation according to my knowledge. I know christians believe only God is responsible for taking human life.

Lukybear

HSC
yea, completely true. I think murder is wrong in any circumstances. I.e. by one human being on another.

JUSTINISANGLO

HSC
If you belive life begins at conception then there's a pretty clear distinction between killing a foetus which has done nothing and a serial rapist.

spence

HSC
I'm pro-choice but I don't approve of the death penalty

fleckar

HSC
How can you compare abortion to murder? Getting a doctor to remove some mushy cells from your uterus because it is a woman's choice if she wants to have a baby or not, compared to lethal injection on a criminal.

44Ronin

HSC
They don't have to align

Someone can be against abortion on the basis that an unborn child is innocent, and support murder on the basis of guilt and implication.

There's no conflict in logic IMO.,

My own opinion is that I don't give a shit either way.

HSC
Im not anti abortion.
Im not pro abortion.

Im pro fucking choice.

I DONT GIVE A FUCK WHAT SOME SKANK DOES TO HER BODY. I REALLY REALLY DONT.

Last edited by a moderator:

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
Maybe he is just anti-choice because he enjoys the idea of people fucking over their lives by being pregnant, and he is also anti-choice in being able to live or not, so he wants as many state sanctioned murders as possible, basically the maximum net gain of human suffering by taking those two positions :)

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
Today I got challenged by a Christian that my belief (anti DP) was unjustified and that the killing of another human being is a morally justifiable action, if they have commited 'grave harm' to society. On the same token, they are vehemently opposed to abortion with their brainwashed, largely dogmatic belief of "pro-life" (that it is never ok to take a human life). At this point, I felt a conflict of logic. For the philosophers and NCAP brains alike, is this a viable opinion to hold?

Do your stances on death penalty and abortion have to align, given they are based on the same premise- eg "Life is precious/not precious"?
If they allow for the death penalty then clearly they don't simply believe that 'it is never ok to take a human life', but rather they attach a proviso along the lines of 'unless some condition X is fulfilled'. It is not a contradiction to hold a conditional view on the value of human life.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
But given we're all sinners, including the unborn, none is innocent. How do you distinguish who is innocent enough?

I suppose it comes down to mortal vs. venial and original sin.

I'd ask why and on what grounds he makes the distinction between murder and the other mortal sins.

Death penalty for adulterers, bearers of false witness, thieves, fraud and people who dishonour their parents imo.

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
They used the word "never" quite succinctly as the only justification against abortion- whether this is motivated by other factors; the discussion didn’t get to that point. But yes, that is one example of what I think makes an interesting philosophical discussion.

I guess they don't have to align for the person who believes abortion is not taking a "life" i.e. that a foetus is not living.

Out of interest, how many people here are pro-death penalty ( I couldn't find a direct thread)?

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
I'm pro-choice but I don't approve of the death penalty
i think there's a large difference between being pro choice and being against the death penalty, than the other way around [for dp but vehemently against abortion]. because pro choice is that you don't mind whether people kill the baby or not, whereas being against abortion is saying that all babies must live. pro choice gives two options, where against abortion only gives one. i think what i'm trying to say makes sense...

i think death penalty is a stronger ethical issue than abortion. a woman should have the rights to her own body, but a living, breathing human being, no matter how filthily evil they are, that's a whole new ball game.

mcflystargirl

HSC
N/A
i think there's a large difference between being pro choice and being against the death penalty, than the other way around [for dp but vehemently against abortion]. because pro choice is that you don't mind whether people kill the baby or not, whereas being against abortion is saying that all babies must live. pro choice gives two options, where against abortion only gives one. i think what i'm trying to say makes sense...

i think death penalty is a stronger ethical issue than abortion. a woman should have the rights to her own body, but a living, breathing human being, no matter how filthily evil they are, that's a whole new ball game.
but see if you are a christian they are no different, because they teach that killing a human being is wrong, and they teach that life starts from conception.

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
but see if you are a christian they are no different, because they teach that killing a human being is wrong, and they teach that life starts from conception.
yeah, i agree there, i was mainly responding to 'spence's comment.

the op's story is a massive contradiction.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
But that's subject to exclusions. What about in self-defence?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)