• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Car Racing: Sim vs. Arcade (1 Viewer)

Racing Sims- what's better?

• Simulation is great, arcade is just unrealistic.

Votes: 8 30.8%
  • Arcade is the best, simulations are boring and remind us of reality.

• Both are equally good because I'm a fencesitter.

• Driving games suck and I'm the best.

Votes: 2 7.7%

• Total voters

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
What do you guys prefer? realistic sims (eg. gran turismo) or arcade (eg. project gotham racing, initial d, maximum tune, ridge racer, etc..)

At the moment I'm playing Forza (it was $35!) and I have to admit, whilst it was pretty difficult to play at first (especially after playing PGR2, Initial D and Maximum Tune alot)... I'm beginning to like it a lot as I drive my tuned Evo. This game feels like Need for Speed Underground except with much more substance- as in, the parts you modify you can tune to a fine degree, and it has a lot of brands and parts... similar to Gran Turismo, but with more appearance-modifications.

P

pLuvia

Definately arcade. I hate all those realistic driving games, boring :)

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
I prefer realistic sims, theres just something about them, that makes me sit there for hours and hours playing them (I just completed the 2005 F1 world championship on full race distance, which was 19 races). Sure, I can play arcade, but only for like an hour, and I begin to loose interest.

All the racing games that I own are realistic sims. I love playing Gran Turismo 4, its the most challenging car racing game I have.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Both.

There are only so many time-crunching lap improvements i can stand and at the same time, there is only so much mindless single-hand drift sessions that i can muster.

I do tend to play more arcade-style games, if only because they're usually shorter races and take less time to complete.

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
I think a good healthy balance between serious and non-serious racing is always good. Sometimes I feel like a quick police chase in NFS: Most Wanted or a serious long race in an F1.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
I prefer arcade, because it gives me the feel that it's only a game, and will always be a game. Sim is too real, no fun in my opinion.

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
seremify007 said:
What do you guys prefer? realistic sims (eg. gran turismo) or arcade (eg. project gotham racing, initial d, maximum tune, ridge racer, etc..)
At the moment I'm playing Forza (it was $35!) and I have to admit, whilst it was pretty difficult to play at first (especially after playing PGR2, Initial D and Maximum Tune alot)... I'm beginning to like it a lot as I drive my tuned Evo. This game feels like Need for Speed Underground except with much more substance- as in, the parts you modify you can tune to a fine degree, and it has a lot of brands and parts... similar to Gran Turismo, but with more appearance-modifications.
seremify007 ill vs u in initial d :p ! just wondering but what's your cardname/car/level/times ?

Last edited:

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Argonaut said:
Oh, NFS is the best! "Hey, loser, get your ride over to the other side of town pronto, 'cause Eddie's got a gig for you. He says if you beat his posse drag racing, you can feel free to upgrade your totally sweet neons to something totally more radical! See you on the road, punk!"
Pre-Underground NFS was actually one of the better arcade style games

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
pLuvia said:
Ooo, that would be cool, I love Mario Kart !
Dammit in Japan? Why didn't I see one :(
that's strange. it's been out in japan and the US for a while now, from what i`ve heard.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
hopeles5ly said:
i wish they would bring this to australia ><"

Mario Kart Arcade Grand Prix: http://www.gamestats.com/objects/730/730461/
They have a dual carriage machine at Timezone, Castle Towers.

EDIT: The game isn't that exciting... I've come first everytime without trying for the first 6 or so races, and the multiplayer doesn't work?... it's also $2 a game and I'd much rather play DDR or Initial D with that money.

hopeles5ly said:
seremify007 ill vs u in initial d :p ! just wondering but what's your cardname/car/level/times ?
I'm crap at Initial D... can't even do the Bunta Challenge and I'm driving the DC2. I've become very much a... "not good at maximum tune and not good at initial d" kindof guy. Used to be good at wmmt but then when 2 came out they tweaked the gameplay too much and I couldn't get any decent times, so i started playing IDv2 at Timezone.

Btw in case you ever do see me.. i'm onli like.. level 8? Haven't had many wins, and driving a DC2 (as aforementioned). Card name: Jolin

Last edited:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Cape said:
I prefer realistic sims, theres just something about them, that makes me sit there for hours and hours playing them (I just completed the 2005 F1 world championship on full race distance, which was 19 races). Sure, I can play arcade, but only for like an hour, and I begin to loose interest.

All the racing games that I own are realistic sims. I love playing Gran Turismo 4, its the most challenging car racing game I have.
Do you (and everyone else here) like doing endurance races and tuning? I'm finding that I enjoy tuning alot... but I wish the interface was slightly easier to see the results of your tuning- even Forza's "tuning on the fly" whilst driving is annoying because it still takes a while to see the results, or the benchmarking (0-100 times).

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
seremify007 said:
EDIT: The game isn't that exciting... I've come first everytime without trying for the first 6 or so races, and the multiplayer doesn't work?... it's also $2 a game and I'd much rather play DDR or Initial D with that money.
are you serious?! omgosh stupid galaxy world staff won't even invest in it ><". i reckon it would be heaps fun when playing with friends though =P

P

pLuvia

seremify007 said:
I should check it out sometime, let's go Dennis :D

LexxY

s2 Ralf. Marry me!
HSC
Who gets a game to simulate real life anyways? It's all about the escapism from reality that is also entertaining.

transcendent

HSC
N/A
I wish they got Battle Gear 4 with internet connection and keys at the arcades. THAT would be awesome.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)