• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Chemistry 5 markers + (1 Viewer)

sizduman

HSC
Just wanted to know how you guys go about doing your 5mark + Extended response answers. As in what process do you use? e.g. *identify the directive term then build off that etc. The 'structure' of the response in other terms.

Thanks,

Siz

benji6667

HSC
Ok when you see an extended response question, think what the marking criteria for the question is and use that to structure your response.

For example, lets look at the 2003 Industrial Chemistry extended response question:

"Assesss how environmental issues have been addressed in an industrial method of production of an acid, and an industrial method of production of a base"(6 marks)

The first thing I do is make a list from 1-6 of the marks that can be awarded for the response. For this question, I would do the following:

1. Environmental Issues for Acid Production

2. How has the issue been addressed (acid)

3. Evaluation of the how effective the environmenal issue has been addressed

4. Environmental Issues for Base Production

5. How has the issue been addressed (base)

6. Evaluation of the how effective the environmenal issue has been addressed

If i responded to this question, I would give focus to the main environmental issue for both processes and mention a less significant issue for both just incase

Always remember to make a strong evaluation for both points, because in the end you are ASSESSING the effectiveness, not describing it.

sizduman

HSC
Sounds good! I'll try it out and see what my teacher says after she marks it. Thanks for the help :D

minijumbuk

┗(^o^ )┓三
HSC
Depends what the question is, really.

But I would just tell the all the stuff I know regarding the question, just basically listing things, explaining/elaborating, evaluating/assessing (if that was the question) until you exceed the lines given by like 2 or 3 lines.

Some questions that tell you to recall the procedure, I would just use numbered form, then discuss some reliablity/validity issues, or even safety precautions along the way.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)