• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Chinese immigration real estate property scam (2 Viewers)

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
http://www.smh.com.au/business/worl...s-with-views-to-residency-20120410-1wm87.html

Twice a year, one of Beijing's largest convention venues, perched on the same east-west thoroughfare as Tiananmen Square, holds a large-scale international property fair.

The drawcard, it seems, is more than property. One booth, which advertised property from all across the Australian east coast, prominently boasted: “Invest in property; speedy migration”.

Over at the Sunland Group's booth, a sign read: “Buy Australian real estate; free migration.”
What a scam this is. Australia doesn't want immigrants where they simply buy property and get a free ride here from China. Immigration to Australia is not a commodity.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
It is a scam like the student visas scam until most of that was closed down a couple of years ago.

Annihilist

HSC
Why though? What's wrong with them coming to live here?

What do they have to prove in order to be eligible to live here?

na110793

HSC
Why though? What's wrong with them coming to live here?

What do they have to prove in order to be eligible to live here?
That they can speak the language? That they can assimilate? That they won't eat my pet dog?

Annihilist

HSC
That they can speak the language?
I suppose, but who would move to a country which they haven't yet learned at least a basic understanding of the language? That's just stupid.

Compulsory English classes?

That they can assimilate?
Why? How? Assimilate to what?

Can't they just be themselves?

That they won't eat my pet dog?
I highly doubt anyone would eat anything that belongs to you without your express permission.

Lentern

HSC
I suppose, but who would move to a country which they haven't yet learned at least a basic understanding of the language? That's just stupid.

Compulsory English classes?
There are already waiting lists for all the TESOL courses at Tafes NSW and pivate colleges. This line that "they don't even bother to try and learn the language" which you hear bandied about by the Bronwyn Bishop's and the Andrew Bolt's of the world is absolute crap.

Annihilist

HSC

these blokes
I'm talking about legal immigrants, which I thought was the point of this thread.

Asylum seekers are another issue altogether, because their coming to Australia is an act of desperation.

There are already waiting lists for all the TESOL courses at Tafes NSW and private colleges. This line that "they don't even bother to try and learn the language" which you hear bandied about by the Bronwyn Bishop's and the Andrew Bolt's of the world is absolute crap.
I agree.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
There are already waiting lists for all the TESOL courses at Tafes NSW and pivate colleges. This line that "they don't even bother to try and learn the language" which you hear bandied about by the Bronwyn Bishop's and the Andrew Bolt's of the world is absolute crap.
Bronwyn Bishop is well past it, although Andrew Bolt is spot on on issues like these. Heck, we shouldn't even need to offer English classes for immigrants to Australia. If they can't speak good English then they shouldn't have been allowed to move here in the first place.

Lentern

HSC
Bronwyn Bishop is well past it, although Andrew Bolt is spot on on issues like these. Heck, we shouldn't even need to offer English classes for immigrants to Australia. If they can't speak good English then they shouldn't have been allowed to move here in the first place.
Convicted racist.

na110793

HSC
It is not crap. Sometimes they don't understand what you are saying, even though you are speaking to them in baby English.

Annihilist

HSC
I was replying to soloooooo who wrote: "If they can't speak good English then they shouldn't have been allowed to move here in the first place." which sounds like a pretty high standard for immigrants to reach.
To be fair, you can't really expect live in a country where you can't even speak the language. Communication is pretty paramount, especially if you want a job.

I personally think it's pretty fucking stupid to move to a country where you don't speak the language. But then again, there are some pretty fucking stupid people in this world. But if you can speak the language, then I don't understand why you can't legally move to this country.

Asylum seekers, on the other hand, I would see as being a completely separate issue.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)