• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Christmas displays (1 Viewer)

Generator

HSC
N/A
http://www.smh.com.au/news/National...unbelievable-PM/2004/12/03/1101923306187.html
Please note, the above line is just linking to the article that 'inspired' this thread.

What are your thoughts on Christmas displays and nativity scenes? Should they be displayed for all, or should they be displayed with the concerns of other cultural groups in mind? Do they go too far in terms of cost and intensity, or are they far too mundane? etc.

Personally, I love christmas tress (i'm not a fan of the christmas as a religious festival idea), and it is clear that this is a country with an anglo-celtic christian majority so there is no point in 'cancelling christmas'. However, it seems as though much more could to be down to both recognise and accept that the other prominent cultural festivals that are held in high regard by Australia's minority communities are just as deserving of public display (if that is in the nature of such festivals, that is)... We would have to guard against commodification of the 'other', though.

Last edited:

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
If you celebrate one, then two, then countless groups are going to complain that their festivals aren't receiving as much prominence as another. When I suggested that we begin the school year with a celebration of Chinese New Year back in 2001, this was the reason I was given as to why the school cannot support it.

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
xmas decorations dont bother me at all
im muslim and i dont celebrate it
but its not really a problem...
i admit dancings santas and xmas carols disturb me
but tinsel and trees are pretty

joujou_84

GoOOooOONe
HSC
only christmas songs abt rudolf in carparks shit me...........but i love the rest of the decorations.....they brighten the city up...

Generator

HSC
N/A
Asquithian said:
BTW the daily tele is posted a apology to moore tomorrow. It seems she never made the statement and that she is spending more than they did last year.
Haha really? Oh well, the general topic is still worth discussing here on BOS.

Phanatical: I agree, but we could (at least) just recognise rather than celebrate the more prominent festivals. I was not suggesting that we celebrate each and every minor event.

Last edited:

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
This is probably going to get me flamed, but Australians traditionally celebrate Christmas. If you come to this country (or are born here, whatever) under a different religion, you should be prepared to go with it. That doesn't mean you should support it, or agree with it, or whatever, but you shouldn't complain or try to get us to go against our traditions.

EDIT: just so you know, if I were to go to a country that is traditionally non Christian, I would still celebrate Christmas, coz its what I know, but I also wouldn't get my back up at the other people for celebrating whatever it is they celebrate.

Last edited:

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
i dont like hearing things like "christ the saviour is born"
or the "little lord jesus "
or stuff like so...becoz they get in my head and i cant get em out and im not supposed to sing em coz i dont believe em...
but yeah i like decorations...

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
hipsta_jess said:
This is probably going to get me flamed, but Australians traditionally celebrate Christmas. If you come to this country (or are born here, whatever) under a different religion, you should be prepared to go with it. That doesn't mean you should support it, or agree with it, or whatever, but you shouldn't complain or try to get us to go against our traditions.
when we first came to this country
we did celebrate xmas..we put up a tree
we even went to carols by candlelight
i sang in the xmas choir at skool
i performed in the xmas perfromances at skool
we sent out xmas cards ect...(believed in santa)...
but we dont anymore..we grew outa it and now that we're not kids we understand and its not part of our culture or beliefs..so we dont do it
not THAT many people have isues with it..

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
i was told u had to have made 2000 posts to change it..but...
then i went to user cp
edit profile
then custom user title or sumfing
and there ya go..its shud be there..

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
When I was in primary school, I came to realise that I didn't share the faith in "god" that the school expected of me. By year 6, I refused to participate in Scripture classes, refused to partake in the (mandatory) School Prayer, and faced suspension many times for my disobedience in regards to religious study. If this were a Christian school, then this sort of thing would be expected. Problem was, I went to Greystanes Public School, a government school.

That is why when people continue to force upon us all the christian doctrine, I feel uncomfortable at best. This is why in High school, I was extremely active in trying to abolish ISCF from government schools, and I was one of many students who protested opt-out scripture classes for our year (some of my muslim and hindu classmates forgot to bring permission notes to allow them to forego christian indoctrination classes, and until we instituted a policy of civil disobedience, they were forced to attend).

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
i remember not being allowed to go to nonscripture unless i had a note
in primary and highskool
until thne i had to attend
in primary we wud sing songs and draw and colour stuff religous
in highskool it wasnt a big deal coz religon class was a muckup class
i was told if i didnt want to join i had to sit out in the corrridor
or do jobs for the office ladys..it was punishment
so i joined in and just bludged around..like the rest of the class

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Most of the non-christians i know have no problem with christmas decorations...its more because shopping malls and other places are afraid that they will be accused by non-christians

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
I am anglo was raised as a christian however I now regard myself as agnostic leaning atheist.

We also had opt-out scripture at high school - I attended voluntarily because it was a easier than getting a not, b more interesting and entertaining to question and dissect evrything said by the teacher.

However onto the issue at hand:

It appears the tele has succeded in sensationalising a non-issue (thanks to asqy for bringing this to attention) but for arguments sake let us continue this debate.

As a child i appreciated santa well until say year 3, ever since i find christmas displays and public celebration tedious to annoying. However I can see worth in doing it 'for the children', I don't see much point in spending huge ammounts of money on it - some tasteful ribbons and trees around the city are enough. Say a big tree in Martin Place and ribbons on all the light poles - merry christmas banners at most. Let department stores do the rest, its a pity they don't all do as good a job as David Jones though.

the thing which does annoy me is the fuss made about covering a house with lights - guy on the news the other day spent 50 hours a week since january setting his up. Seems like a colossal waste of time and money especially the electricity bill. Each to their own though.

Danoz The Great

HSC
acmilan said:
Most of the non-christians i know have no problem with christmas decorations...its more because shopping malls and other places are afraid that they will be accused by non-christians
Yeh, I don't question the Christimas decorations. I'm a non-christian that doesn't celebrate Christmas, and my friends and family really hate/misunderstand it. So I just let them go.
It's not fair that things have to change because minorities don't celebrate christmas.
I have to look after the Christmas department at work too, it's my departments responsibility. I don't mind.

I'll also get my real close friends and family some gifts, but I make sure they don't give me any. :)

Anyways sorry ppl, I've gone off the topic. Carry on...

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
1) It's not just the tele on this particular bandwagon http://www.smh.com.au/news/National...unbelievable-PM/2004/12/03/1101923306187.html

Phanatical said:
This is why in High school, I was extremely active in trying to abolish ISCF from government schools
2) Good one. Let's discriminate against student run groups purely upon the basis of their religion.

Christmas decorations are entirely appropriate, and are in no way offensive to minority groups. Clover Moore is a nut, but then again she always has been. I wouldn't be surprised if they Sydney City Council had some sort of involvement with the festivities for Chinese New Year.

Personally, I'd prefer to not have to give or receive shit at Christmas, but there are expectations, and I don't want my girlfriend sulking for a few weeks afterwards. :rolleyes:

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
australia clearly is multicultural but at the same time a tolerance for different cultures is being promoted so i dont see why there shud be a problem with it. but i agree that we shud not go over board with it like having carols groups wondering through the streets of areas which are predominantly muslim or something. some may find it disturbing. but it isnt so much religious these days and i have some muslim friends who still join in with the festivities. i dont think it is a huge issue really from where im standing

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
The irony being that while we are discussing the possible impact of christmas as a christian celebration on non-christians, christians (especially evangelicals) are lamenting the loss of christmas' meaning as a christian celebration of christ.

Kulazzi

HSC
I don't mind the decorations. I'm not fully against it just cos it doesn't go with my religion. our school library is like fully decorate at the entrance. My best friend asked if i was annoyed by it and i was like no, i don't mind. Sometimes I just give christmas presents to my friends and they give me one back, though it's more out of kindness rather than christmas celebration.

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
Kulazzi said:
I don't mind the decorations. I'm not fully against it just cos it doesn't go with my religion. our school library is like fully decorate at the entrance. My best friend asked if i was annoyed by it and i was like no, i don't mind. Sometimes I just give christmas presents to my friends and they give me one back, though it's more out of kindness rather than christmas celebration.
well in the end the decorations arent religious at all in anyway. except for an angel or something but theres no real biblical significance for the christmas tree i dont think.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)