• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

co workers (1 Viewer)

*Minka*

HSC
Nashie said:
Is it just me or does every target worker with a bran hate it?
Yep.

I also got the 'you need to think about your comittment to working as a Target employee' speech because I go to Europe usually twice a year because a lot of my family and friends are in Serbia and Croatia. Heaven forbid I like to see them for a couple of weeks. This also came after I wasn't rostered on for like, three months because I am 'old'.

It is simply a horrible place to work.

The supervisiors are little more than disgruntled uneducated bitches abusing what tiny power they do have and except you to be able to page managers at the drop of a hat. The expect you to take sexual harassment from customers, tell you 'thats life, get over it' when an asshole told me to go 'get raped by Milosevic like all you Serbians do' because of my name. I have been told that if I was a dedicated work comitted to serving Target (pfft) I would quit soccer because I can't work after 4 on a Wednesday afternoon as I have training. University has also gotten me the comittment speech.

They give me shifts when I have told them six weeks in advance I am having surgery that week and then try and refuse to let me change them. They refuse to apologise when I produce a medical certificate stating I have an ongoing medical condition requiring surgical treatment on X day and a few days off afterwards. Again, I need to THINK ABOUT COMITTMENT for having a TUMOR removed from my ovary. Assholes.

They tell me to stop complaining when demanding I do markdowns in a dusty corner of menswear that seriously hasn't been cleaned in six months despite being an asthmatic. If I tell you I need to got o my bag and get my puffer because the dust is triggering my asthma, I need too do it or risk an attack.

They called me a 'sourpuss' when I was upset on the day after my aunts funeral. I asked for the day off as I was still very upset, but they refused. Heaven forbid the day after a funeral of a close relative I am NOT in the mood for playing smiley.

Need I go on. HATE TARGET.

Nashie

Ace up my sleeve
HSC
I really don't get that "commitment to target speech", who the hell wants to be committed, or even associated with that place!

*Minka*

HSC
Nashie said:
I really don't get that "commitment to target speech", who the hell wants to be committed, or even associated with that place!
I'm comitted....

Comitted to finding another job and getting the hell out of there!

Ranger Stacie

hollaback girl
HSC
to start with, i came in an hour early without 20 mins notice to do you a favour. It wouldnt kill you to be nice to me. It is not my fault someone called in sick 15 minutes before their shift started, nor anyone else who works here and as fast as we might be able to move, we are simply not going to be able to compensate for that person. And if you are going to be bitchy, i wont come in at the last minute to help you out again.

it is really not a big deal that we ran out of 500ml sparkling mineral water. Order some more.

dont take your frustrations out on every single other staff member when we are hugely busy, then when it quiets down wonder why everyone hates you.

jooobl

crazy cat lady
HSC
*Minka* said:
Yep.

I also got the 'you need to think about your comittment to working as a Target employee' speech because I go to Europe usually twice a year because a lot of my family and friends are in Serbia and Croatia. Heaven forbid I like to see them for a couple of weeks. This also came after I wasn't rostered on for like, three months because I am 'old'.

It is simply a horrible place to work.

The supervisiors are little more than disgruntled uneducated bitches abusing what tiny power they do have and except you to be able to page managers at the drop of a hat. The expect you to take sexual harassment from customers, tell you 'thats life, get over it' when an asshole told me to go 'get raped by Milosevic like all you Serbians do' because of my name. I have been told that if I was a dedicated work comitted to serving Target (pfft) I would quit soccer because I can't work after 4 on a Wednesday afternoon as I have training. University has also gotten me the comittment speech.

They give me shifts when I have told them six weeks in advance I am having surgery that week and then try and refuse to let me change them. They refuse to apologise when I produce a medical certificate stating I have an ongoing medical condition requiring surgical treatment on X day and a few days off afterwards. Again, I need to THINK ABOUT COMITTMENT for having a TUMOR removed from my ovary. Assholes.

They tell me to stop complaining when demanding I do markdowns in a dusty corner of menswear that seriously hasn't been cleaned in six months despite being an asthmatic. If I tell you I need to got o my bag and get my puffer because the dust is triggering my asthma, I need too do it or risk an attack.

They called me a 'sourpuss' when I was upset on the day after my aunts funeral. I asked for the day off as I was still very upset, but they refused. Heaven forbid the day after a funeral of a close relative I am NOT in the mood for playing smiley.

Need I go on. HATE TARGET.

That really, really sucks... You should really consider contacting a higher authority [such as store manager, or people to do with the target chain such as HR etc] and tell them exactly what you said here, and the names of who did them... Seriously that is so bad and the perpetraters can get into a lot of trouble for it... Please consider it, that is really unfair and unacceptable.

vodkacrumble

shiftworker
HSC
so i was actually lucky when coles myer didn't want to give me a job at target?
i always heard it was fun because you got those little phones to call each other in the store.

when i worked as a receptionist after finishing yr12 for some reason everyone thought they could just pile all their shit jobs onto me. "oh, i reformatted the 7000 contact database but i just realised that some of the phone numbers have brackets and they shouldn't. you can't do a search for the brackets to see which ones you need to change, so you'll need to go through it all manually. thanks!"

also "here is a website with a few thousand links to electronics companies - go to each site and find an email address to their sales dept and send them an email asking if they want to do business with us"

and "we want you to make $10,000 worth of sales, and if you do - we'll give you a $150 voucher!" (but fuck off to them because, without trying, i actually made just over $10K in sales on the day i left the place. and then they tried to give me a $100 cheque instead - lucky i had it in writing)

yes, all this and more simply because my contract stated "plus any ad hoc duties"....

edit: oh, and did i mention that i was only getting paid $10ph? after i left the place i took an admin job at a hospital for $17ph and did less work, less hours and got 1 paid rostered day off a month. bliss.

thank god i love where i'm working now and have the best manager and coworkers (a few are irritating, but i don't ever have to work with them)

Last edited:

Good_riceZ

Go the Rabbitohs!
HSC
A lot of suing should be going on by the sounds of it. Sexual harassment?!?! Nononono, dont take that shit, get em in court and rip em off for all their measly moneys worth...

*Minka*

HSC
See, it is not the Co-Workers sexually harassing me. It is sleazy customers that do it and the supervisiors/managers don't give a fuck. One acts like I ask for it because I have big boobs which is not my fault. Ugh.

Ranger Stacie

hollaback girl
HSC
*Minka* said:
See, it is not the Co-Workers sexually harassing me. It is sleazy customers that do it and the supervisiors/managers don't give a fuck. One acts like I ask for it because I have big boobs which is not my fault. Ugh.
you still shouldnt have to put up with that shit

Baiku

Coolest Member
HSC
*Minka* said:
Nah - trust me when I say that no one cares LOL.
I hate to be insensitive... but why should they care?
They employ you to work, and every time you miss work it creates complications for the management team. Even if you have a legitimate excuse, it doesn't make it any easier on them, you're still making their job harder (and yes they get paid more for it blahblah, still they don't want to do extra work).

Consider your aunt's funeral. Most employers will give you the day off for a funeral, but the next day because you're grieving is beyond what they can afford? They have how many staff, who have how many relatives, who die how often? The world doesn't stop because somebody dies. There is a funeral, and then you need to get back to your life.

You sound like the most difficult employee ever. And what I'm saying is that even if it IS all legitimate, which it very well may be, it really doesn't make a difference to your boss who has to find someone else to do your job because you're: on holidays, having surgery, someone died, you have asthma.

Tell me at your next job how they would receive the same circumstances? Employers like people who are RELIABLE and committed. There isn't anything wrong with that.

Sorry to have a dig at you in particular Minka, but I think all of you need to perhaps consider that your bosses are at work too?

Baiku

Coolest Member
HSC
*Minka* said:
Have you tried wearing "less flattering" clothes when you're working?

Why is your manager responsible for customers being rude to you? What are they meant to do, stand behind you and tell the customers off? Or should they put up a sign saying please don't be mean to our staff? Stand up for yourself perhaps.

And please please please please pleeaaaaaasseeeee don't tell me you're one of the girls who says "I can wear whatever I want, it doesn't mean it's ok for people to stare at my chest".

*Minka*

HSC
Baiku said:

Why is your manager responsible for customers being rude to you? What are they meant to do, stand behind you and tell the customers off? Or should they put up a sign saying please don't be mean to our staff? Stand up for yourself perhaps.

And please please please please pleeaaaaaasseeeee don't tell me you're one of the girls who says "I can wear whatever I want, it doesn't mean it's ok for people to stare at my chest".
Nope - I have to wear the Target shirt and it is just a cut that makes them look bigger. I am not one of those type of girls either - I am a small girl and size 10, but have a bra size of 12DD so there is not a lot I can do to hide them.

*Minka*

HSC
Baiku said:
I hate to be insensitive... but why should they care?
They employ you to work, and every time you miss work it creates complications for the management team. Even if you have a legitimate excuse, it doesn't make it any easier on them, you're still making their job harder (and yes they get paid more for it blahblah, still they don't want to do extra work).

Consider your aunt's funeral. Most employers will give you the day off for a funeral, but the next day because you're grieving is beyond what they can afford? They have how many staff, who have how many relatives, who die how often? The world doesn't stop because somebody dies. There is a funeral, and then you need to get back to your life.

You sound like the most difficult employee ever. And what I'm saying is that even if it IS all legitimate, which it very well may be, it really doesn't make a difference to your boss who has to find someone else to do your job because you're: on holidays, having surgery, someone died, you have asthma.

Tell me at your next job how they would receive the same circumstances? Employers like people who are RELIABLE and committed. There isn't anything wrong with that.

Sorry to have a dig at you in particular Minka, but I think all of you need to perhaps consider that your bosses are at work too?
I see what you are saying, but for the record, I did give them several notice that I was going to Serbia and Croatia for a couple of weeks. That is a lot of time, and at that point, they were already trying to get rid of me because I had my eighteenth birthday and didn't want to have to keep me on beyond that. I have family in those countries, heaven forbid I want to see them instead of hanging arounf in Australia, bored out of my mind in case they call for the first time in five weeks wanting me to do some three house shift because their newsest litle fifteen year old is sick. (More like quit because they hate it, but whatever.) I don't get the hours because of my age, I am not wanted because of that, I don't see why I can't go over and hang out with old family and friends in the place I grew up for a couple of weeks in February.

It is Target - they have plently of staff. We are talking about a company that just keeps on importing little fifteen year olds and not giving any shifts to older eomplyees. I mean, the day after the funeral was an isolated thing. I was just still a mess the next day and didn't feel like going and playing nice to total strangers. I am sure most reasonable people understand that. And I am not the only person to find myself affected by the dust of the store. It has happened to Asthmatics and non Asthmatics alike.

I don't mean to sound difficult, you have got to remember that this is a thread to WHINE, not talk up our workplace. I will be comitted to someone if they treat me like a person. After a couple of years of being completely jerked around by that store, I really have had enough and looking for something different.

I mean, I hate my job, hense the winging! I just think sometimes they honestly do it to be annoying. I mean, telling me thatgoing to UNIVERSITY is poor comittiment? At least I am showing COMITTMENT to my education and heaven forbid that is more important than some job scanning shit.

Last edited:

*Minka*

HSC
Baiku said:

Sorry for the couple of posts in a row. I am not talking about your general rude, bitchy customer. I am talking about customers who make sleazy sexual innuendo to the point that I consider it harassment. I don't need a customer to make comments about my breasts, my butt, how fuckable my ass is, telling me it is my lucky day because I can go to the bathroom with them right now. I am talking about sleazy, inappropiate comments that simply make me feel cheap and uncomfortable. I can handle rude people - I just give them a look when they expect me to be overly nice to their assholeish self.

But I don't think I need to handle being told that I have 'deliciously juciy breasts that I'd love to touch love'. They hang around too and keep coming through with a packet of gum or something and I wish I could call security and have them asked to leave the store for harassment of staff.

The job is customer service, NOT sit and take inappropiate sexual comments from sleazy pricks service.

As for sticking up for myself? The time I said 'do you mind not making me feel so uncomfortable' I was hauled down to the manager for being rude. RUDE? How about their comments about my 'firm and plump buttocks' and my 'innocent little schoolgirl face - I love seeing little girls like you darlin!'.

There is a limit with what a person should be forced to take. I think sexual innuendo from perfect strangers crosses that limit.

Baiku

Coolest Member
HSC
*Minka* said:
Sorry for the couple of posts in a row. I am not talking about your general rude, bitchy customer. I am talking about customers who make sleazy sexual innuendo to the point that I consider it harassment. I don't need a customer to make comments about my breasts, my butt, how fuckable my ass is, telling me it is my lucky day because I can go to the bathroom with them right now. I am talking about sleazy, inappropiate comments that simply make me feel cheap and uncomfortable. I can handle rude people - I just give them a look when they expect me to be overly nice to their assholeish self.

But I don't think I need to handle being told that I have 'deliciously juciy breasts that I'd love to touch love'. They hang around too and keep coming through with a packet of gum or something and I wish I could call security and have them asked to leave the store for harassment of staff.

The job is customer service, NOT sit and take inappropiate sexual comments from sleazy pricks service.

As for sticking up for myself? The time I said 'do you mind not making me feel so uncomfortable' I was hauled down to the manager for being rude. RUDE? How about their comments about my 'firm and plump buttocks' and my 'innocent little schoolgirl face - I love seeing little girls like you darlin!'.

There is a limit with what a person should be forced to take. I think sexual innuendo from perfect strangers crosses that limit.
That's fair enough.

The thing is about the sexual harrassment, it doesn't sound like your work is provoking it, that is my thought anyway. So while it may not be your job to deal with it, it may be part of your every day life that while unpleasant, still exists.

I don't know a remedy to it, other than perhaps changing social values towards people understanding that it is unacceptable, which isn't really the role of your employer. It isn't really criminal behaviour, despite how it makes you feel.

Anyway, I'm very impressed that you responded in the way that you did rather than trying to rip my balls off over the internet. So for that, you get the thumbs up and I wish you all the best with improving your job satisfaction. :)

jooobl

crazy cat lady
HSC
*Minka* said:
Nah - trust me when I say that no one cares LOL.
You will need to find someone in the company who DOES care... if this is truly happening and you are not exagerrating, I am sure you are more than capable of finding someone within the target chain to tell all of what you have said here to... If this is really going on, why wouldn't you be calling someone in the human resources department or someone of a high authority...

And Baiku I don't think it is unreasonable for a person not to come into work the day after a funeral... I hardly think it is fair on a person who has lost someone obviously dear to them, to haul their ass to work, miserable and possibly in tears just because 'There is a funeral, and then you need to get back to your life.'

It doesn't matter what relation she was to Minka she obviously meant something to her... Would you be saying the same thing to your best friend if their mother had died suddenly, What if this aunt was like a second mother to Minka... That is highly unfair of you to say that..

Baiku

Coolest Member
HSC
jooobl said:
You will need to find someone in the company who DOES care... if this is truly happening and you are not exagerrating, I am sure you are more than capable of finding someone within the target chain to tell all of what you have said here to... If this is really going on, why wouldn't you be calling someone in the human resources department or someone of a high authority...

And Baiku I don't think it is unreasonable for a person not to come into work the day after a funeral... I hardly think it is fair on a person who has lost someone obviously dear to them, to haul their ass to work, miserable and possibly in tears just because 'There is a funeral, and then you need to get back to your life.'

It doesn't matter what relation she was to Minka she obviously meant something to her... Would you be saying the same thing to your best friend if their mother had died suddenly, What if this aunt was like a second mother to Minka... That is highly unfair of you to say that..
Sure, I would be saying the same thing to a friend no matter who died. All life concludes with death, there is nothing to gain from sitting around moping for a week because someone you love has died. I always like to think that your loved ones wouldn't want you to be sad either, they'd want you to make the most of your own life. There's certainly a benefit on reflecting on somebody's life after their death, celebrating it and thinking about how they've impacted you, but I really think it is detrimental to spend a long time mourning somebody. Maybe it is my personal opinion and nobody agrees.

Regardless of that, think of the economy. There are around 7.5 deaths per 1000 people each year. That's 150,000 deaths per year in Australia. Let's say each person has 4 loved ones, which is probably a conservative approach. That's 600,000 lost work days for the funeral-day, and 1.2million lost work days if another day were to be allowed.

1.2 million days, even at only $100 per day is $120 million lost by the economy each year. Economically it doesn't work very well at all, and as I've explained, I don't think it leads to positive social development of the individual.

So that's how I feel about it :) It's not about what's fair and isn't as far as I see it...

vodkacrumble

shiftworker
HSC
Baiku said:
I really think it is detrimental to spend a long time mourning somebody. Maybe it is my personal opinion and nobody agrees.
umm...spending 2 days mourning would hardly be classified as "a long time".

you have either never had anyone very close to you die, or you are in finance.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)