• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Combatting Housing Commission Crime! (1 Viewer)

JaredR

Save Sderot
HSC
Housing Commissions serve the lower echelons of society whom are in that position either through their own misfortune, drugs, alcohol abuse, phsyical and mental dissabilities and numerous other reasons.

I am not denying their importance in our society to the many who rightly need this service, and I greatly support the Howard initiative of "Work for the DOLE" to those whom are able to work.

What I do not support is those who create ghettos of these commission homes, who inflict crime, violence and anti-social behaviour to the government-supporting neighbourhoods they live in. There has been an increase in graffiti in my local area as well as petty theft and vandalism as a result of two delinquents living in housing commission.

I do not support the placing of housing commission in prime real-estate such as The Rocks or just near the Harbour Bridge.

If people who live in housing commissions are found to be anti-social, they should be moved to a special monitored home. :) If they rely on our funding, they should respect our right to live in peace.

That's my gripe.

Last edited:

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Living in mixed communities is meant to be highly valuable to those with the various social problems you listed. If they are to find redemption, it's important that they be constantly exposed to healthier lifestyles like yours.

JaredR

Save Sderot
HSC
I agree, the last thing we want is Ghettos. But if th residents of some of these housing commissions can't co-exist with their "social betters" (for better use of a term) then they should not be privileged to call some of the places they are able to call, home.

incentivation

Hmmmmm....
HSC
N/A
There's a 'housing commission ghetto' in Hunters Hill, in amongst 'normal suburbia' (located in what would otherwise be prime real estate, assuming it is the same one that Jared is referring to). It does create issues, particularly in terms of petty vandalism and stealings from motor vehicles etc, including a spate of instances of grafitti on peoples homes.

Unfortunately, I don't see that there is much of a solution to this problem. This siutation is far more productive than the enormous housing department communities in parts of western Sydney, and at least provides the opportunity for these people to interact with 'normal' sections of society.

Ultimately it is policy directed at promoting education, reducing the dependence upon welfare and inducing lifestyle change which is the key.

Last edited:

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
Tasmania is isolated for a reason. Take advantage of it.

banco55

HSC
I think housing commission blocks on prime land should be sold off because:

A)Otherwise you're making fools of people who spend 40 % of their income on a mortgage and live in worse areas with bugger all government support. Public housing should be relatively austere otherwise the tenants will feel no compulsion to make more money, improve their lot so they can move out to a bigger/better place.

B)If they are on valuable land you could sell it and build more housing commission units futher out.

Patar

0101 0000
HSC
There has been a trend recently for community integration, the idea is an incentive system for public housing tenants to get a job, their own house, etc.

I do disagree with crime like graffiti; why are tenants wasting money and time just making the neighbourhood a worse place?

Two-sided subject, two-sided subject...hard to go there.

Foxodi

HSC
ari89 said:
Tasmania is isolated for a reason. Take advantage of it.
Quoted for truth.
But seriously, I think its kinda a similar issue with school and ungraded class's. While having them graded will benefit those who put effort in, the fact is having them mixed encourages the people on the lower end to try and average marks are in fact higher then if they were graded.

So I geuss we have to take the bullet in order to better society on the whole.

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
Maybe Cate Blanchett is behind all this and doing all those criminal behaviour in your suburb, lol.

But seriously, yes there is a problem when you have a nice suburb, few blocks away they have a section for public housing but why blame all those who live in housing, there's good and there's bad people in society, the bad ones from public housing should be removed from those housing and deported to Wagga Wagga or push them further outer west, Mt Druitt or something, lol.

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
chicky_pie said:
No way, I'm afraid there's a another Martin Bryant out there, somewhere in Tas.:D
Well if they all congregated there wouldn't that solve the housing commission problem?

JaredR

Save Sderot
HSC
I used to enjoy walking home at 3am in the morning with my iPod blaring and not having to worry about being mugged. I used to enjoy walking through parklands with my iPod blaring, laptop bag over shoulder and sending an SMS.

I still do it, but I'm a little more cautious with this increase in anti-social behaviour. I don't think me, my family or the other rate-paying residents (especially given that we pay some of the highest council rates in all of Sydney) should be subject to this anti-social behaviour from people who pay little or no tax, receive our tax and live in properties that would be worth so much more if privately sold!

We paid and continue to pay good money to live where we live, and we shouldn't be burdened by those who were placed here because no where else could house them.

JaredR

Save Sderot
HSC
Send them to youth detention centres where they can be rehabilitated as productive members of our society - now that's tax money better spent! :)

Born2baplacebo

Get Behind Me Satan
HSC
I reckon TacoTerrorist should wait outside the houses and start terrorising the coons/chinks/retards by throwing red hot tacos at them.

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
JaredR said:
Send them to youth detention centres where they can be rehabilitated as productive members of our society - now that's tax money better spent! :)

lol rehab won't help, not giving them the dole would make them realise they have to...work hard for the money :)

JaredR

Save Sderot
HSC
Walking home at 3am after a night out for example, and where the only available buses are along Victoria Road.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)