• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

coming out of the closet (1 Viewer)

the_bellman

HSC
Thanks for reading :)

Wrote abstract story for half-yearly. Now, it is my understanding that "abstract" stories are meant to project one image/possible representation of the story (yet not directly say it is that representation, and at the end, "come out of the closet" about what the story is - normally involving revealing what the character is.

However, straight out, the marker writes "should define who what where and when in the first two paragraphs". Now, I understand that, but its abstract isn't? Defining who/what/where/when in the first paragraphs takes away the final twist, and ruins the story doesn't it?

Ideas?

forbidden01

HSC
i'm not familiar with the whole abstract side of things, but i do write good prose...apparently...

i like revealing little aspects of the person all the way though and ending with a bang of some sort...
i usually try to work with the characterisation a little bit and dont do something cliche. i hate cliche

uummm....i guess it depends on what the story is about, but i dont think you'll get marked down if you dont include every detail in the first few paragraphs :S

i like a final twist, but that's personal opinion....

the_bellman

HSC
Thats basically it, what I do, with the little revealing bits, except with abstract there is an emphasis on describing something "abstract" (aka uncommon) in such a way it seems to be either something common or has personified features, making it seem human... the big bang at the end is just complementary haha.

HSC
In highschool, you don't get to mess with things so much. Mainly because - and here I want you to pay attention - you do not have the skill to pull it off.

You might be a great writer compared to your cohort, but you need to conform to a coherent structure if you want to get the marks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)