• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Commerce at unsw (1 Viewer)

Praer

HSC
Uni Grad
you can do b actuarial studies/ law

OMGITzJustin

HSC
N/A
mate all they did was change actuarial into its own degree, so it's now just actl/law

there is no 'view' to be had

HSC
Uni Grad
"From Semester 1 2013, Actuarial Studies will no longer be offered as a major in the Bachelor of Commerce program. "

source :https://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/programs/2013/3502.html

So if you plan on doing com/law at unsw, you cannot major in acturial studies anymore?

What are your views on this guys?
You can still do Actuarial Studies/Law. However I think it is shitty because:

1. Less transfer options; if you don't like actuarial studies and want to transfer, you can't simply just drop majors, you need to apply through Internal Program Transfer and actually transfer programs, which is a pain especially if you do not get the required wam. E.g. if you want to do Comm/Law and you're currently in Actuarial/Law, transferring is going to be a bitch because combined law has a strict cut-off at 75 WAM (and 75 WAM is quite hard to achieve in both actuarial studies and law courses) often or not due to the large amount of people transferring into combined law.

2. Actuarial Studies cannot be combined with Engineering as of now :( Even though this would be kinda useless, but it would still be pretty awesome to see someone to actuarial studies and engineering together :p

On a side note, the actuarial studies course for 2014 onwards is pretty much the same as a simple B Commerce degree for the first year subjects; you now have to do MGMT1001 and the two accounting courses. Previously you didn't need to do MGMT1001 and your accounting course was ACTL1122 which was accounting for actuaries.

gahyunkk

HSC
You can still do Actuarial Studies/Law. However I think it is shitty because:

1. Less transfer options; if you don't like actuarial studies and want to transfer, you can't simply just drop majors, you need to apply through Internal Program Transfer and actually transfer programs, which is a pain especially if you do not get the required wam. E.g. if you want to do Comm/Law and you're currently in Actuarial/Law, transferring is going to be a bitch because combined law has a strict cut-off at 75 WAM (and 75 WAM is quite hard to achieve in both actuarial studies and law courses) often or not due to the large amount of people transferring into combined law.

2. Actuarial Studies cannot be combined with Engineering as of now :( Even though this would be kinda useless, but it would still be pretty awesome to see someone to actuarial studies and engineering together :p

On a side note, the actuarial studies course for 2014 onwards is pretty much the same as a simple B Commerce degree for the first year subjects; you now have to do MGMT1001 and the two accounting courses. Previously you didn't need to do MGMT1001 and your accounting course was ACTL1122 which was accounting for actuaries.
What about doing acruarial/accounting combinded?

HSC
Uni Grad

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
Actually for law it works a bit differently. You can generally jump between combined degrees for law because it's under the law faculty. There isn't a minimum wam requirement unless that has changed recently. I have a friend who switched Com/Law -> Arts/law -> Science/Law -> Arts/Law by just speaking to faculty.

Praer

HSC
Uni Grad
Actually for law it works a bit differently. You can generally jump between combined degrees for law because it's under the law faculty. There isn't a minimum wam requirement unless that has changed recently. I have a friend who switched Com/Law -> Arts/law -> Science/Law -> Arts/Law by just speaking to faculty.
i lol'd
dat change of mind

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
i lol'd
dat change of mind
If I had to pick what to combine with Law I wouldn't be able to decide between Arts or Science. Regretted doing Commerce tbh but I ceebs changing degree as I only have 3 more commerce courses left.

Sort of also hard to pick for him cause he wants to do IP. He changed to science cause he originally wanted to be a patent attorney. Now he decided he rather be a copyright lawyer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)