• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Commerce/Law - Any chance? (1 Viewer)

Acid

HSC
Got my HSC results early, and am really interested to know if anyone thinks I have a chance to get into Commerce/Law at UNSW. I'm on Access which allows up to 5 marks off the cutoff, but they said this isn't the case for all courses. My results are below:

Marks - Bus. Stud.: 94; Eco.: 93; Maths 2U Adv.: 91; Eng Adv.: 89; Mod. Hist: 89; Hist Ext: 44/50
Ranks - Bus. Stud.: 1/20; Eco.: 1/16; Maths 2U Adv.: 2/22; Eng Adv.: 10/44; Mod. Hist: 7/30; Hist Ext: 2/13

SAM predicted 97.4 UAI - is that good enough to get into Commerce/Law at UNSW when coupled with Access? If not i'll still be pretty happy doing a vanillla Commerce course I guess...

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
whether you get in or not will depends on how the ACCESS people did as well. You have to beat 80 or 90% of the ACCESS people who also wants to do law but ddidn't make the cut-off. I know someone last year got in with 98.90 (at USyd Law).

Acid

HSC
If I don't get in to Comm/Law at UNSW - do you think it's worth doing Bus/Law at UTS or will I be better off with vanilla Comm at UNSW? I'm not sure of the standard of UTS..

Also, what's more employable.. a combined comm/law degree or a comm degree majoring in accounting/finance...

Yes I know, i'm confused..

Acid

HSC
Well i've never done anything like it before since there isn't a course even remotely similar to law in the HSC (I don't think legal studies counts!) - so I won't know until I give it a go. I'm interested in it though. Also, I don't think I want to be a practicing lawyer, but rather an accountant/finance-person (?) with law knowledge which may be more desirable to employers.

Acid

HSC
Sounds like a plan....very hard decision though

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah, if you don't make straight Law, you can always double major in Accounting and Business Law & Taxation (like what I'm currently doing). Employers on the whole won't differentiate between Com/Law and Comm students unless they specifically are hiring for legal positions.

But anyway - wait for your UAI and see how close to 99.35 you get to determine whether ACCESS will get you in. However, the option is always there to transfer after 1st year (which may even be easier)

Last edited:

Acid

HSC
Hm - so you think I should put regular Comm as my first pref just in case I miss out on places if I don't get into Comm/Law? Or are 1st/2nd pref. places sent out simultaneously?

You seem like a fairly knowledgable guy Minai - is it a waste to major in both acc. and finance? Or is it better to choose majors that complement each other more directly?

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
Minai said:
Yeah, if you don't make straight Law, you can always double major in Accounting and Business Law & Taxation (like what I'm currently doing). Employers on the whole won't differentiate between Com/Law and Comm students unless they specifically are hiring for legal positions.
Would doing a similar double major be possible at USYD?

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks,

You should always put the course you most want to do at the top. Ie put Com/Law first then Com second, because even if you get 100 UAI and your first preference is Com, you'll get that and you wont get offered Com/Law.

Regarding the majors...what field would you most like to work in? Most people do Accounting and Finance double because they aren't really sure where they are headed, and do both those as it provides the widest range of jobs basically. If you want to work as a tax, legal or commercial consultant, or accountant/auditor etc, you'd be better off doing Accounting and Business Law, but if you want more of a general degree where you could get a variety of jobs in investment banking or accounting, you'd do Accounting and Finance

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)