• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Commerce/law (1 Viewer)

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
Originally posted by Wohzazz
Well i thought maybe uni students knew more since they are more 'experienced' from open days, listening to friends who went to other unis and thus form an opinion on this that may be useful to share with high school students
lol, open days don't really tell you much about the course (very biased info)... you really just go to get a feel for the university atmosphere.

santaslayer

HSC
Well i thought maybe uni students knew more since they are more 'experienced' from open days, listening to friends who went to other unis and thus form an opinion on this that may be useful to share with high school students
Ok, if it is that sort of opinion you are after then here it is. What I say underneath is purley my opinion of BComm/LLB in some universities that I have either been to or have heard about from friends. It is in no way the opinion of any other character in BoS. :p

UoW- Excellent Law facility which is renowned for it's more 'personal' approach to teaching. Lecture style educational approach is actively discouraged as it is seen in contempoary teaching techniques as predominatley unuseful. UOW is the first univeristy to have the PLT (Practical Legal Training) course in Australia whcih is required to gain admission as a certified solicitor. It also enjoys a 100% employment rate figure. :)
The one criticism of UoW Law is that it focuses too much on teaching the student to actually become a legal practicioner. Some lecturers do not take into account that Law may be used as a generalist degree as well.

USYD- The oldest Law school in Australia. Largest Alumini (therefore most 'connected') hardcore Law school. They enjoy the best reputation for Law, but IMO may be 'diminishing' due to other upcomming universities such as UNSW/UOW/UTS.
One criticism is that the Law school has such an old archietectrual design that it prohibits students and teachers from adopting the more contepoary approach to teaching outlined above. That being said, USYD still strive to have 'seminar' type of classes.

UNSW- IMO, should be recognised as the best law school in Australia at this stage. UNSW are recognised predominately in the Asia pacific, which is the upcomming economic power. UNSW adopt a similar approach to UOW in terms of educational techniques which is recognised as being 'better' for the students. The university also houses the largest Law library in the southern hemisphere I think.
One criticism is that it takes forever to get to UNSW campus. :p :p (I hate the bus)

UWS-One of the newer Law schools in Australia, it has been one of the fastest growing uni in Australia with quite a numbr of campuses offering Law. It won one of the negotiatioon/mooting/client interviewing competitions not too long ago, showcasing that excellent students it houses.
Criticisms of UWS (which can also be found in this forum) are never ending. Rumours about it's reputation and the fact that it is underfunded present some of the problems surrounding the university.

UTS- UTS IMO has the best B Business/ B Laws degree. It understands that theory is important but are also very practical. It is in the heart of the city, so karaoke and cyber cafe's are always nearby. :p It is one of the better 'upcomming' Law schools in Australia IMO. One criticism im my POV is the lack of aesthetics in the buildings which may be superficial, but equally important for myself. :p

ANU- One of the really excellent Law schools which can be compared to UNSW/USYD. I do not know enough of the uni to give my opinion but it seems to me that Asqy and Ziff are pretty passionate about it, so you may like to ask them. :)

Happy? :p

ohne

HSC
Originally posted by Frigid

yes... i'm vacating a place at UTS for ppl for worthy than me to do law at the best law school ever! :D
lol

CrashOveride

HSC
Can i just ask why Comm/Law is so popular ? And the 99.6 UAI's are mostly due to Law yeah ?

Is it coz heaps of people wanna become lawyers and then the commerce side of it educates them on how to make even more money? :)

Suvat

part timer
HSC
N/A
I wanna do commercy stuff but the law side distinguishes me from the 5000 commmerce grads released every year into the wilderness (job market)

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
the rest of us will just have to rely on our charm and good looks

Suvat

part timer
HSC
N/A
Law and charm/good looks are not mutually exclusive! :p

edit: if you were not suggesting the above then please accept my humble apologies :D

Last edited:

CrashOveride

HSC
So it's not possible for a highschool student to just go straight to law ? They can go str8 off with good UAI to combined law...but law by itself they need to transfer to or something? Coz i read UAI counts for 25% and GPA 75% ofr graduate law.

Suvat

part timer
HSC
N/A
I think it's good most unis make you do law with something else, it not only increases your value to employers, but also creates balance. 24cp of law per semester is sure to drive me crazy... *thinks about 4th and 5th year law* :uhoh:

santaslayer

HSC
Originally posted by CrashOveride
Can i just ask why Comm/Law is so popular ? And the 99.6 UAI's are mostly due to Law yeah ?

Is it coz heaps of people wanna become lawyers and then the commerce side of it educates them on how to make even more money? :)
Law is what makes Australia go round. Apart from accountancy and economics, which is why Commerce /Law is so popular. :p

santaslayer

HSC
Originally posted by CrashOveride
So it's not possible for a highschool student to just go straight to law ? They can go str8 off with good UAI to combined law...but law by itself they need to transfer to or something? Coz i read UAI counts for 25% and GPA 75% ofr graduate law.
Graduate Law only happens when you finish your undergraduate degree with high marks. :) I don't think you can do straight law in undergrad level.

Oh wait, there's always jurispurendence/law @ UNSW :p

Wohzazz

HSC
Originally posted by Suvat
I wanna do commercy stuff but the law side distinguishes me from the 5000 commmerce grads released every year into the wilderness (job market)
That is nicely said. BTW, is B Science/B Law as good a combo as law/commerce?

eskimo

It's cold outside
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by santaslayer
Law is what makes Australia go round. Apart from accountancy and economics, which is why Commerce /Law is so popular. :p
hehe the world goes round man.. australia is carried with it.

santaslayer

HSC
That is nicely said. BTW, is B Science/B Law as good a combo as law/commerce?
For B Science/ B Laws ask Lazarus the Bored administrator, se what he has to say. :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)