• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Commerce: UNSW or Sydney? (2 Viewers)

Conspirocy

HSC
its just a joke - not a very good one - but its a joke

deadset i didnt think anyone was being racist on this thread??

juzmister

HSC
I am not Asian, but going to a school with a large percentage of Asians could be beneficial in the long run. Asia's on the forefront of the expansion, the GDP of China has been accelerating at a fast rate and Asians are spending. If you cannot find a way to get used to the small differences and the language barrier, then good luck in the business world over the next thirty years.

Last edited:

mr_shittles

Big Chief
HSC
MoonLiteDreamz said:
After all these time, I still havent decided which uni I should go to. At first I didn't think I'd be able to get into Commerce in UNSW. But now I think I have a big chance.

The thing is... UNSW has higher uai needed for Commerce. While Sydney Uni is nearer to where I live.

Anyone know which uni is more expertised in Commerce or any business course?
Ok, let me take this thread off topic.

I go to UNSW where I study Commerce. I am very happy with the standard and quality of most of the teaching, particularly in accounting (thats good for me because I major in accounting). I think the facilities and the environment are also quite good. The links with industry are also very strong.

I had the same choice that you had in Year 12, MoonLiteDreamz. I picked UNSW and looking back on it, at no stage have I regretted my decision.

The only part of my decision that I still think about (and my freinds in USyd constantly remind me about) is the fact that I live closer to USyd than UNSW and hence it takes me twice as long to travel to UNSW (bit over an hour) than USyd (25-40min depending on traffic.

So like Minai, I too would recommend UNSW.

Oh, and as for asian v white arguments, they don't really add much value because:

1. Hanging out with white ppl doesn't always make you more sociable (shock horror!)

2. Hanging out with asians doesn't make you smarter (no srsly, it doesn't)

3. Not many firms pick up your resume and go "OMG . . . can't recruit this guy coz he went to a uni with heaps of Asians" (ask HR at your next job interview if you dont beleive me on this one)

drmix

HSC
N/A
MoonLiteDreamz said:
After all these time, I still havent decided which uni I should go to. At first I didn't think I'd be able to get into Commerce in UNSW. But now I think I have a big chance.

The thing is... UNSW has higher uai needed for Commerce. While Sydney Uni is nearer to where I live.

unsw u can make ur own timetable! :D plus its 3 days a week for straight commerce students @ unsw dunno abt usyd

ditto.

HSC
I'd like to remind MoonLiteDreamz that USYD had a higher cut-off for B Comm last year than UNSW, so his whole dilemma is pretty redundant.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
ditto. said:
I'd like to remind MoonLiteDreamz that USYD had a higher cut-off for B Comm last year than UNSW, so his whole dilemma is pretty redundant.
Just proves that USyd is now the "popular" uni - so if you want to stay cool, UNSW is the alternative uni for you :rolleyes:

stazi

Nightman
HSC
brogan goes to usyd, therefore usyd is clearly the better choice. since brogan came to usyd, the cutoff has gone up. coincidence, I think not.
Again, go to whatever uni 'feels' better after attending the open days.

lizbon

HSC
the only reason UNSW Comm had a lower cut off last year was because the faculty opened up 1300 spots (due to all the new degrees introduced e.g. B Com/Eco, so there was more supply than demand.

The cut off doesn't mean count for much, i strongly recommend UNSW, but consider everything (cept the UAI cut off) before you decide.

Conspirocy

HSC
stazi said:
brogan goes to usyd, therefore usyd is clearly the better choice. since brogan came to usyd, the cutoff has gone up. coincidence, I think not.
Again, go to whatever uni 'feels' better after attending the open days.
lol i remember the usyd open day...they sold it so well, had this whole speech about how 'things are changing' and that they were 'moving in the right direction'
then they brought that comsoc girl up who did com/lib the blonde one. not to mention the pommy guy who spoke, wait wait and he also had his family there wife and 2 little kids watching (not sure what market that was trying to reach). plus like the old school layout of the uni has like a feeling to it.

I nearly went to usyd based on the feel.

I went to the unsw one on the same day- they packed everyone into this massive room, had this old guy speaking david morgan, he didnt talk to people like he was selling them, maybe he was and it just went over my head. it was bretty average...

point is, you cant get the feel of a uni in one day...one uni will sell themselves better, the other may suck at selling themselves...after being at unsw for 2 years now there is no way i could function at usyd.

making a decision on the feeling is a bad way to go ---> cause usually what u want from a uni wont be shown to u in an open day

stazi

Nightman
HSC
lizbon said:
the only reason UNSW Comm had a lower cut off last year was because the faculty opened up 1300 spots (due to all the new degrees introduced e.g. B Com/Eco, so there was more supply than demand.

The cut off doesn't mean count for much, i strongly recommend UNSW, but consider everything (cept the UAI cut off) before you decide.
I'm quite sure that USYD also increased the number of people accepted into commerce (or was that arts?). USYD's cutoff actually rose, though. Whilst UNSW's fell. Your statement explains why UNSW's fell, but not why USYD's rose. It also doesn't explain Brogan.

satcbrady

HSC
N/A
I think the reason why UNSW has more asians (comparatively) is because the asian parents tend to believe that UNSW is better in Commerce (Accounting) but I don't know how they got this info..or where/how it all started
ask year12 asians doing hsc, they will tell you they are going to UNSW commerce not USYD (of course not all of them......but so far the ones I've met are saying that)

I hope this decision doesn't come to a matter of whether ur asian or white, seriously if u base ur decision on which race u r ....it's pretty pathetic.

if u had to choose to go to either the uni where most of your friends are going to or the one where you hardly know anyone, I would say it's better to go to the one where NOT many of ur high school friends are going. many people just choose to stick with old mates in uni (not that anything is wrong with that) and they don't even realise that stops them from making new friends, meeting new awesome people because they are just so caught up in their own little world with their "cool" friends.. that they think "I have you guys already, why do I need to open up our little circle for the others"? sticking to your comfort zone may be great and consoling ------ for a while.

Sometimes I just feel...the reason why there's so much debate as to which uni is better for this is just due to people caring too much about reputation..especially when the two courses are believed to be very similar
why not just make this a poll on "Which one has a better reputation, UNSW or Sydney?" I guess someone would come and say "fuck are you retarded? this is not about reputation this is about future job prospects" hahaha alright.

Last edited:

satcbrady

HSC
N/A
MoonLiteDreamz said:

what do you mean "UNSW has higher uai needed for Commerce"?
I thought USYD has a higher uai cut off..

"At first I didn't think I'd be able to get into Commerce in UNSW."
it seems like you got your decision right at the beginning.. u were thinking about UNSW
so are you considering Sydney now simply due to its location?

Conspirocy

HSC
stazi said:
I'm quite sure that USYD also increased the number of people accepted into commerce (or was that arts?). USYD's cutoff actually rose, though. Whilst UNSW's fell. Your statement explains why UNSW's fell, but not why USYD's rose. It also doesn't explain Brogan.
okay so we know why it fell at unsw... based on that if unsw was everyone's first preference last year then usyd should have plumeted - it didnt.

so no argument there, usyd is the more popular commerce degree. Of course in economics there was a fall but nothing compared to the one unsw copped.

maybe people dont want to study commerce anymore??

Usyd's cut off rose because...yeah no idea

re the brogan factor...again no idea

stazi

Nightman
HSC
ok. ill explain why usyd's cutoff rose. usyd started a far more aggressive undergrad recruitment strategy. UNSW didn't really do anything more, rather than creating more places. next, usyd now has a more holistic commerce degree (funnily enough, I thought it'd put people off, but it seems that people generally want more direction in what subjects to take). This is also coupled with positive word-of-mouth from USYD's students. USYD's eco and business faculty is attempting to change, which is more noticeable to its students. any change causes students to perceive that the faculty cares about them, and that the course is better. considering how much peer influence affects preference formation, USYD became the more popular degree.

Conspirocy

HSC
stazi said:
ok. ill explain why usyd's cutoff rose. usyd started a far more aggressive undergrad recruitment strategy. UNSW didn't really do anything more, rather than creating more places. next, usyd now has a more holistic commerce degree (funnily enough, I thought it'd put people off, but it seems that people generally want more direction in what subjects to take). This is also coupled with positive word-of-mouth from USYD's students. USYD's eco and business faculty is attempting to change, which is more noticeable to its students. any change causes students to perceive that the faculty cares about them, and that the course is better. considering how much peer influence affects preference formation, USYD became the more popular degree.
so in other words they are better at marketing than unsw...nah i agree they do market themselves better ---> only positive word of mouth from unsw commerce student would be, "F*&K thank god i passed QMA it was so hard, man dont go to unsw" ---> so uve got us beat there too.

again brogan factor...unexplained (which is all anyone really wants to know)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Conspirocy said:
lol i remember the usyd open day...they sold it so well, had this whole speech about how 'things are changing' and that they were 'moving in the right direction'
then they brought that comsoc girl up who did com/lib the blonde one. not to mention the pommy guy who spoke, wait wait and he also had his family there wife and 2 little kids watching (not sure what market that was trying to reach). plus like the old school layout of the uni has like a feeling to it.

I nearly went to usyd based on the feel.

I went to the unsw one on the same day- they packed everyone into this massive room, had this old guy speaking david morgan, he didnt talk to people like he was selling them, maybe he was and it just went over my head. it was bretty average...

point is, you cant get the feel of a uni in one day...one uni will sell themselves better, the other may suck at selling themselves...after being at unsw for 2 years now there is no way i could function at usyd.

making a decision on the feeling is a bad way to go ---> cause usually what u want from a uni wont be shown to u in an open day
Hahah didn't see that post. Did you mean the open days 2 years ago. The current comsoc president is Jacquie Martin (well, not sure who'll be pres next year). Back then it would've been Sarah.

I don't think that basing your decision on a feeling is a bad way to go. Of course there are other more important factors, but when you truly can't decide (such is the case for many UNSW/USYD commerce students, as the programs used to be so similar a few years ago in all aspects), the feel of a uni is a good thing to base your final decision on.

a year ago I was deciding on which of USYD's exchange partners in the USA to take a semester's worth of study. I had a criteria: 20% reputation/40% social life/20% academics/20% location (crime rates, etc.). Ultimately, I had it down to Washington, UCLA, Berkeley and UNC (North Carolina - Chapel Hill). I really had no way to further preference them above each other. So, I contacted students through MySpace from each uni, asking them to talk about the college they attend. The way that people from UNC talked about their uni made me want it more - the way they described it just 'felt' right. The student life 'felt' right. The environment 'felt' right. Etc. It ended up being a fantastic decision.

A smart student will try and take a 'day at USYD' with someone who goes there - attend some lectures, have lunch, go to the bar, etc. THen they'd have a day at UNSW.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Conspirocy said:
so in other words they are better at marketing than unsw...nah i agree they do market themselves better ---> only positive word of mouth from unsw commerce student would be, "F*&K thank god i passed QMA it was so hard, man dont go to unsw" ---> so uve got us beat there too.

again brogan factor...unexplained (which is all anyone really wants to know)
are you majoring in econometrics or something like that?

I wouldn't say usyd's marketing is that much superior. They are great at recruitment (which is more a PR task), but suck at mass communication. USYD's (the university's, not the Eco & Bus faculties') communication philosophy is still very 'we're so prestigious and popular, that we don't need to advertise - people will beat a path to our door).

ditto.

HSC
The Brogan Factor is a powerful yet mysterious phenomenon.

Essentially, it causes things to be better, when Brogan is around.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)