• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Compulsory Aboriginal/Torres Straight Islander culture uni course proposed (1 Viewer)

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
Sadly this would probably cause more resentment and hatred towards indigenous Australians rather than helping the problem. At least they are trying to do something about this bad situation of racial and cultural hatred.

I have no idea what to do instead though. In my mind its a self perpetuating problem. If you look aboriginal you are going to face a life of vilification and hatred. If everybody you see is going to hate you because of the colour of your skin and tell you how pathetic you are, you will start to beleive it.

It also doesnt help that a large proportion of the indigenous population is in rural areas where they thrive on ignorance, alcohol and welfare.

Probably the worst part is that poverty, ignorance, alcoholism, criminal behaviour has come to be associated with indigenous Australians. If an indigenous australian is wearing raggy clothes and begging people for a ciggy then they are an "abo". If the same person is wearing nice clothes and attending uni they are an "aussie".

This wont help much, but i do hope it might give some sort of understanding about indigenous culture to those who have no idea and just judge based on appearances. Of course making it compulsory is not the right way to go about it

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
If it wasn't compulsory, and I was doing a degree in something other than biology/geosciences, I would probably take it because I find pre-colonial civilisations interesting. But compulsorily, it just gets my goat. It's totally irrelevant to my course.

kokodamonkey

HSC
Isn't calling it a civilisation implying they are civilised? surely we don't want to go that far :p

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
i think they should more offer the course as an elective, but a highly advertised one where they talk about how being "culturally aware" or something makes you a lot more employable.

The course should also be free, a first year easy subject and only pass/fail.

that would be the best way to impliment this.

banco55

HSC
To reply to 'Katie Tullie', the reason for the current state of the Aboriginal community in general is because of the European colonisation of Australia, the argument that they're better off because off because of it is ridiculous. "where would they be today" if not for coloinisation? Not in a state of 3rd world poverty sniffing petrol, thats where.

The idea that you portray their culture as somehow stupid and basic is absurd. Anyone with even the most basic grasp of highschool cultural studies or history would be able to tell you that cultures are different from eachother and just because a certain culture is lacking in similiarities in comparison to another does not somehow make it inferior as you are suggesting.

"What is this culture you speak of?"
The very question itself aswell as other remarks made throughout this thread further highlight why such a course could probably be only a good thing. But to answer your question Aboriginal culture is just as encompassing as any European culture if you wish to learn what this culture is I suggest you get a book on it or undertake a course as the Government is suggesting :).
I'm sorry this is just bullshit knee jerk relativism. You can't compare a culture that produced Shakespeare, Newton et al with a culture that produced rock paintings. The world would lose a lot if it lost the achievements of western civilization.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)