• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Confused about selective (1 Viewer)

T-R-O-L-O-L

TOO GOOD TO BE CLASSIFIED
HSC
Hey everyone,
My school is ranked low.......I mean really low and I was wondering of changing to a selective school. My report seems pretty good with most all A's. I was wondering, do you all think that Sydney Technical High School is still worth applying for seeing as it is not the rank it used to hold. I am not interested in applying for the really high ranked selective schools.

Thanks everyone in advance. Everyone's opinion is appreciated. :smile::drink:

such_such

HSC
As long as your report is good and you ace the entrance exam, you'll get in. 99% sure they don't care about your school, nor your school rank.

aeleria

HSC
How low is low? Bottom 20%? I know someone who went from Kogarah High School to St George, and she was the very last person to get in. So if your school ranking is as 'low' as Kogarah High, then good luck. I think that if you're trying out for Year 11, they wouldn't heavily rely on your school rank, but they would compare the ranking of the school, what it expected on its standard and your performance in the school. (you could be the top 3 in your current school, but at the bottom of a selective school)

The reason why Sydney Tech isn't as well ranked as previous years is because most of the guys wanted to do engineering, and so they didn't study as hard as they could(ATAR requirement isn't that high I believe). You should know that last year's cohort had 3 people get 99.95 and there was the most amount of scholarships given :)

The ranking of Sydney Tech is bound to change depending on the year 12s' performance, so don't be too discouraged by its current rank

As the above person said, if you have a good report you're good. But remember, show that you've volunteered/ participated in extra curricular actvites (Red shield appeal, piano certificates, maths and science competitions etc)

And Sydney Tech doesn't have an exam, only application and interview. Make your application look really nice and you're set.

Verify

HSC
How low is low? Bottom 20%? I know someone who went from Kogarah High School to St George, and she was the very last person to get in. So if your school ranking is as 'low' as Kogarah High, then good luck. I think that if you're trying out for Year 11, they wouldn't heavily rely on your school rank, but they would compare the ranking of the school, what it expected on its standard and your performance in the school. (you could be the top 3 in your current school, but at the bottom of a selective school)

The reason why Sydney Tech isn't as well ranked as previous years is because most of the guys wanted to do engineering, and so they didn't study as hard as they could(ATAR requirement isn't that high I believe). You should know that last year's cohort had 3 people get 99.95 and there was the most amount of scholarships given :)

The ranking of Sydney Tech is bound to change depending on the year 12s' performance, so don't be too discouraged by its current rank

As the above person said, if you have a good report you're good. But remember, show that you've volunteered/ participated in extra curricular actvites (Red shield appeal, piano certificates, maths and science competitions etc)

And Sydney Tech doesn't have an exam, only application and interview. Make your application look really nice and you're set.
I agree with most of this. Although Sydney Tech does have a Maths and English exam that they hold for shortlisted applicants.

spatula232

HSC
Lol, excuse my stupidity, but what is the school ranking on??? And what does it really affect your ATAR etc.???

Last edited:

T-R-O-L-O-L

TOO GOOD TO BE CLASSIFIED
HSC
Thanks for the input guys. I definitely have a better understanding now.:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)