• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Confused??? (1 Viewer)

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
I am a bit confused...
I wanted to apply for scholarships, and I checked the postcode list and I am not eligable right, so I checked with the Year Advisor and UWS to make sure and I wasnt. Then someone at UWS open day tells a friend in the same suburb she can apply, which she can't because like me her suburb isnt on the list

THEN I get a letter mailed to me from UWS inviting me to apply for scholarships, why would they send it to me when I am not in area???

Am I right? I can't apply for any can I? I just want to be clear on all this

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
melsc said:
I am a bit confused...
I wanted to apply for scholarships, and I checked the postcode list and I am not eligable right, so I checked with the Year Advisor and UWS to make sure and I wasnt. Then someone at UWS open day tells a friend in the same suburb she can apply, which she can't because like me her suburb isnt on the list

THEN I get a letter mailed to me from UWS inviting me to apply for scholarships, why would they send it to me when I am not in area???

Am I right? I can't apply for any can I? I just want to be clear on all this
You could check up with UWS I suppose, but you might as well just send it in - the worst that can happen is they don't give you a scholarship and the best is that it was all a bungle and your area really is eligible.

L

LaraB

Mel - its most likely you're not eligible.. may as well send it but if you're not on the postcode lists you're not gonna be eligible since that's like, the 1st criteria.

UWS sends out all info to their huge mailing list of half the HSC population so a lot of other peopel are probably having the same problem.

If you have any questions email the uni because its a bit of a waste of time getting references n documents together if you arne't even eligible:p

hYperTrOphY

HSC
Wouldn't it be in UWS' favour to provide scholarships to those outside the 'Western Sydney' area?

What is the reason for restricting scholarships to those in Western Syd?

L

LaraB

hYperTrOphY said:
Wouldn't it be in UWS' favour to provide scholarships to those outside the 'Western Sydney' area?

What is the reason for restricting scholarships to those in Western Syd?
no it wouldn't because that goes against their aim and one of the main aims of the uni's establishment - ie providing education and support for western sydney citizens...

otherwise, it'll end up being filled with the same people who are already afforded these opportunities through other unis or family connections or school connections etc.

They want people who can represent the uni and the local community so it's pointless having someone from say, Balmain, because they aren't a good rep for local community coz they're not frmo the local community.

A lot of the scholarships eg VC LEadership scholarships focus on leadership programs etc so they obviously would want stuff that benefits the local area not for you to take the money and go help development an area not around one of the uni campuses.

hYperTrOphY

HSC
LaraB said:
no it wouldn't because that goes against their aim and one of the main aims of the uni's establishment - ie providing education and support for western sydney citizens...

otherwise, it'll end up being filled with the same people who are already afforded these opportunities through other unis or family connections or school connections etc.

They want people who can represent the uni and the local community so it's pointless having someone from say, Balmain, because they aren't a good rep for local community coz they're not frmo the local community.

A lot of the scholarships eg VC LEadership scholarships focus on leadership programs etc so they obviously would want stuff that benefits the local area not for you to take the money and go help development an area not around one of the uni campuses.
That's what I thought, and don't get me wrong I think it's great as it provides those in Western Syd - who have traditionally been disadvantaged - an opportunity to complete tertiary study. However, I just wonder whether this contributes to the poor status of the university.

EDIT: Maybe the uni could allow those outside the designated postcodes to apply, but give preference to those in Western Sydney. When the UWS reps came to my school they said they usually have heaps of scholarships left over that nobody applied for. They may have just said this in an effort to persuade us to all apply though...:p

Last edited:

hYperTrOphY

HSC
Yes, it is pathetic. The reason I think it may be a contributing factor though, is because the more concentrated the uni is with people from this area, the more it will be seen as inferior due to the connotations associated with the hillbillys out west ;)
It may also reinforce the snobbery concept of us and them too.

I dont know, I think I'm just talking shit now :p..

Btw, i put in my scholarship applications yesterday, so hopefully they will be successful :)

hYperTrOphY

HSC
natstar said:
If people want to be snobby thats their problem. I'm not from Western Sydney anyway, so they can think what they want.
It becomes our problem if employers are influenced by the perceived value and status of the university and its students though.

L

LaraB

ditto what natstar said.

plus.. far as references to people thinking western suburbs people are hillbillies, have a look at teh suburbs on the list for scholarship applicants.

epping, west pennant hills, baulkham hills, i mean.. have a look at the areas who are eligible - they're some of the wealthier areas in sydney and and far from hillbilly..

just shows that no one actually has half a clue about what "Greater western sydney" means...

L

LaraB

hYperTrOphY said:
It becomes our problem if employers are influenced by the perceived value and status of the university and its students though.
well they're not - at least decent employers aren't...

if an employer is stupid enough to have that ridiculous prejudice, would you honestly want to work for them?

I mean, I'm doing Law which everyone assumes you'll only get a job in law if ur at a city uni and honestly its a load of bullshit. Employers on various occassions were the ones who suggested i consider UWS's course because its highly respected both content and context wise by employers.

Uni doesn't mean crap - it's how you perform. No on'es gonna care if you were at Usyd but averaged 60%... if you're at UWS averaging 80's you'll get the job over them... not all employers are that superficial and blind.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
LaraB said:
aww ... I live near there :D

True, epping and that isn't generally considered "Western" suburbs, the fact is, just because it has adequate public transport and wealthly people live there, doesn't mean its not found in the west.

Actually, its the north west, to be specific :p

L

LaraB

Cape said:
aww ... I live near there :D

True, epping and that isn't generally considered "Western" suburbs, the fact is, just because it has adequate public transport and wealthly people live there, doesn't mean its not found in the west.

Actually, its the north west, to be specific :p
lol that's likke West pennant hills

people don't consider it "westie" but it even has "West" in the name...

probly coz half the houses around the area have 7 figure price tags lol.. at least everyone i went to school who lives ardoun there were....

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Yup! 7 figure price tags for houses around here :( Really expensive to live here!! For something that is classed as "western suburbs"

btw LaraB, i saw your message / post / thread thingo on campus connection :p

hYperTrOphY

HSC
LaraB said:
well they're not - at least decent employers aren't...

if an employer is stupid enough to have that ridiculous prejudice, would you honestly want to work for them?

I mean, I'm doing Law which everyone assumes you'll only get a job in law if ur at a city uni and honestly its a load of bullshit. Employers on various occassions were the ones who suggested i consider UWS's course because its highly respected both content and context wise by employers.

Uni doesn't mean crap - it's how you perform. No on'es gonna care if you were at Usyd but averaged 60%... if you're at UWS averaging 80's you'll get the job over them... not all employers are that superficial and blind.
I hope you're right. I plan on doing law at UWS next year, but constantly hear how employers are prejudice and you are at a distinct advantage if you go to USyd/UNSW. Even when I went to the UWS Open Day, one of the 'law people' said that you may be disadvantaged because many firms are prejudiced against UWS graduates. He did say that UWS graduates had made it to big firms though (FreeHills).

L

LaraB

hYperTrOphY said:
I hope you're right. I plan on doing law at UWS next year, but constantly hear how employers are prejudice and you are at a distinct advantage if you go to USyd/UNSW. Even when I went to the UWS Open Day, one of the 'law people' said that you may be disadvantaged because many firms are prejudiced against UWS graduates. He did say that UWS graduates had made it to big firms though (FreeHills).
meh don't listen to them.

think of it this way - in USyd and UNSW and UTS's first decade of existence, how many top firm grads do you think they had?

people treat uws as if its been around for years and should be doing better than it has... its still sorat in establishment phase in a way so if anything, is oding better than other unis were at this phase.

big firm doesn't = quality or quantity or job security. Similarly, many UWS grads don't go into law as iun legal practice. Many use law as additional knowledge on top of say, a management or economics or criminology or psychology course etc so you can't judge student success based solely on those entering large firms.

Plus, not everyone wants to work in big firms... eg a great deal of barrister's do not work for firms - eg St James Hall - they aren't a firm, simply a collective building of largely barristers, and as they aren't a huge firm no one has heard of half of them, however, they have a heap of QC's even though the building is small, they work on huge corporate cases etc... so size doesn't equate to success... :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)