• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Could someone please clarify my ideas of UAI and scaling?? (2 Viewers)

runnable

HSC
me121 said:
Just say that there are onyl two subjects, Maths and Physics.

If maths always scaled below the normal 45degree line that you call average, and so did physics, except maths was slighly above the physics line. then just because maths scales you down relative to this normal line doesn't mean its bad, because relative to the other courses, physucs, its high.
This is what i was trying to let you guys understand all this time. Scaling is relative, but when we talk about scaled up or down, we compare it to other courses. If you read my first post, i posted what i think was the RELATIVE scaling of the subjects in this thread.

me121

Premium Member
HSC
runnable said:
This is what i was trying to let you guys understand all this time. Scaling is relative, but when we talk about scaled up or down, we compare it to other courses. If you read my first post, i posted what i think was the RELATIVE scaling of the subjects in this thread.
Well it appears we have come to an agreement, because that is what I have being trying to say this whole time, that scaling is RELATIVE.

runnable

HSC
me121 said:
Well it appears we have come to an agreement, because that is what I have being trying to say this whole time, that scaling is RELATIVE.
Although it is relative, we still need some sort of classification to make things simplier and give ppl a vague idea. Thus all mentions of scaling up or down is relative to certain mild subjects such as English.

me121

Premium Member
HSC
runnable said:
Although it is relative, we still need some sort of classification to make things simplier and give ppl a vague idea. Thus all mentions of scaling up or down is relative to certain mild subjects such as English.
Which is why whenever I talk about how a course scales, i compare it to another course.

For example instead of saying a 95 in industrial technology scales to a scaled mark of 60, i say a 95 in industrial technology is equivalent to a 75 in mathematics.

however English does not have mild scaling, (well i guess it depends on what you are comparing it to). relative to the straight 0,0 to 50,50 line, its not mild.

runnable

HSC
me121 said:
Which is why whenever I talk about how a course scales, i compare it to another course.

For example instead of saying a 95 in industrial technology scales to a scaled mark of 60, i say a 95 in industrial technology is equivalent to a 75 in mathematics.

however English does not have mild scaling, (well i guess it depends on what you are comparing it to). relative to the straight 0,0 to 50,50 line, its not mild.

Well English is quite mild. That i am quite sure.

If you look on the BOS Scaling page and look at English. Its pretty much 24+ while 25 means like minimal scaling.

me121

Premium Member
HSC
runnable said:
Well English is quite mild. That i am quite sure.

If you look on the BOS Scaling page and look at English. Its pretty much 24+ while 25 means like minimal scaling.
47.0, 42.0, 38.0, 36.0, 33.5, 30.0
47.2, 37.5, 28.0, 22.7, 17.2, 12.0

that doesn't really look like a one to one correspondence to me.

i'm not exactly sure where that page gets that data from.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)