• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Crash (1 Viewer)

nwatts

HSC
It is good, but too short and too similar to Magnolia for it to be a masterpiece.

But it teaches you to think before you jump to conclusions, which is always a good thing. See it, but don't expect absolute miracles, just a fairly solid movie.

nwatts

HSC
sunjet said:
Havn't seen Magnolia, will have to hire it out.
It is very good. And as soon as you see it you'll think "ahh, that's where Crash got it from".

If you're feeling sexy, pick up Altman's Short Cuts and his Nashville while you're at it. Also very similar.

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
Saw it when it was at the cinemas and yes, it's verrrrry similar to Magnolia. Still pretty good though

icecreamdisco

HSC
'we're all racist! but sometimes our parents get sick and we fall down staircases, so we're also HUMAN BEINGS!'

terrible film.

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
it was ok. i thought it was well structured and directed but it wasnt anything revolutionary. some scenes were excellent, and yet some scenes were predictable and a little dull. it brought up some interesting points about modern society and prejudice though.

SharkBait

HSC
i personally thought 'crash' was fukin awesome.....DON CHEATLE is soooo HOT. esp when he was naked in that scene....
i can see y comparisons are made wit 'magnolia' but personally i thought crash was betta....proly coz i neva realy understood the purpose of magnolia's ending wit the frog thing.
um....yeah really good film...luved the fact the rookie cop saved the chick whom he molested. wotta twist.
and the mexican guy wit his daughter....sooo sweet!!

Mr_Shrimp

HSC
I'm in love with this movie.. I've sene it about 4 times now :D

PerfectByNature

I am Jack's wasted life
HSC
i thought it was pretty good. a bit depressing. but it shows how almost everyone is prejudiced, not just caucasians.

**blu_rose**

HSC
i thought it was excellent!
just a question, in relation to the brendan fraser character having an affair with his assistant or whoever she was, can someone tell me what the significance of that was? i just don't get how its relative to the racism theme

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
**blu_rose** said:
i thought it was excellent!
just a question, in relation to the brendan fraser character having an affair with his assistant or whoever she was, can someone tell me what the significance of that was? i just don't get how its relative to the racism theme
The commentary says it's up to you to decide if he is having an affair or not.

spiny norman

HSC
icecreamdisco said:
'we're all racist! but sometimes our parents get sick and we fall down staircases, so we're also HUMAN BEINGS!'

terrible film.
I agree in part to this - the Sandra Bullock/Brendan Fraser was pretty bloody average. A lot of it was incredibly cliche and trite. Overall, I was not too bothered by this and could enjoy the film despite these shortcomings (wherein Paul Haggis was channeling his Walker: Texas Ranger days rather than Million Dollar Baby), but it did hurt the movie. And also it being about an hour shorter than the story needed to be properly told didn't help it.

That said, I liked the Matt Dillon storyline, and was pleased he got his Golden Globe nomination. Some of the other storylines were a bit weak, but I think the movie was saved by a few scenes which were incredible. I'd say it was a good movie, if not a bit disappointing given the potential.

SharkBait said:
um....yeah really good film...luved the fact the rookie cop saved the chick whom he molested. wotta twist.
He wasn't the rookie cop, but given your comment about Magnolia I feel bad for correcting you when your film comprehension skills are clearly so lacking.

SharkBait

HSC
spiny norman said:
He wasn't the rookie cop, but given your comment about Magnolia I feel bad for correcting you when your film comprehension skills are clearly so lacking.
bastard, u.

icecreamdisco

HSC
spiny norman said:
That said, I liked the Matt Dillon storyline, and was pleased he got his Golden Globe nomination. Some of the other storylines were a bit weak, but I think the movie was saved by a few scenes which were incredible. I'd say it was a good movie, if not a bit disappointing given the potential.
his performance was the best thing about the film, but the way he's 'redeemed' is ridiculous. his character has no motivation for being racist, other than that he has a miserable life and therefore must naturally take his anger out on people of different races. how insighful! we could've at least learned that he had a bad race-related experience in his past, like he got mugged by a gang of a different race or something... the implication through his storyline is that we're all inherently racist and unless we have love in our lives, we go around finger-fucking black women in front of their husbands and making direct cracks about affirmative action to employed ones. PUH-FUCKING-LEASE.

and the line when don cheadle says 'we have to crash into each other to feel anything at all'... do things really have to be spelt out to us like that? wasn't the title enough?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)