• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

cyclic quads (1 Viewer)

Reanna

HSC
can a cyclic quad have 3 vertices on the circumference and the other on the centre or is it then no longer a cyclic quad

Tofuu

HSC
i think all four vertices have to lie on the circumference since i don't think the rules would work out

xV1P3R

HSC
Any 3 vertices forming a triangle lie on a particular circle, so it's nothing special

Jonneeh

HSC
I dont think all 4 vertices have to be on the circumference, but if you can prove they hold the same properties as a cyclic quad, i think you can conclude it to be one?

if that made any sense

K

khorne

A quadrilateral is cyclic if the opposite angles sum to 180 degrees. It can still be cyclic even if the vertices do not lie on the circumference of a particular circle.

Reanna

HSC
I dont think all 4 vertices have to be on the circumference, but if you can prove they hold the same properties as a cyclic quad, i think you can conclude it to be one?

if that made any sense

thanks yeah thats what i thought but it didnt seem to sound right so thought id ask

untouchablecuz

HSC

if that made any sense
you will find that if the 4th point does not lie on the circumference, then the circle will not (and cannot) exhibit properties of a cyclic quadrilateral

untouchablecuz

HSC
Just to answer this question properly:

3 points define a unique circle.

So if three of the four points lie on the circumference, then this is the ONLY circle that passes through those three points.

Since the 4th vertex does not lie on this circle, it is NOT a cyclic quadrilateral.
listen to this

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
my 2 cents

Basically a cyclic quadrilateral is one all of whose 4 vertices lie on a circle; if the vertices do not lie on a circle it is not cyclic.

Another way of saying this is: A quadrilateral is cyclic if and only if all its 4 vertices lie on a circle.

Last edited:

untouchablecuz

HSC
my 2 cents

Basically a cyclic quadrilateral is one all of whose 4 vertices lie on a circle; if the vertices do not lie on a circle it is not cyclic.

Another way of saying this is: A quadrilateral is cyclic if and only if all its 4 vertices lie on a circle.
yep and since 3 points define a UNIQUE circle, the 4th point of a quad must lie on this circle to be considered cyclic

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)