• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Daikatana & Omikron (1 Viewer)

Stan..

HSC
I remember playing a Dakitania demo ages ago. It was pretty good, The Ion blaster was sweet.

Stan..

HSC
Enoch said:
ur mum buys u obscure japanese games? and ur mum plays em?...
Believe it or not, Dakitania was created by Ion Storm. An American Brand.

pinkelephant

HSC
N/A
I don't know how you excited, Spikeru, over the 'sex scene'. There really wasn't anything to it...

Spikeru

St. Mère Église church tower, danglin....
HSC
pinkelephant said:
I don't know how you excited, Spikeru, over the 'sex scene'. There really wasn't anything to it...
No, there wasn't. It was just the first time I had seen a sex scene in a PC game. Of course, there have been many since then-
Mafia
Fareheit
'Hot Coffee' San Andreas

Then of course you get onto the actual sex games
Virtual Valerie 1&2
Sexy Beach
3D Slut
SexVilla

All vomit inducing excluding the well done scenes in Mafia and Fahrenheit.

If anyone wants a good laugh on the topic, I suggest you visit the Hentai articles section of a popular satire site at www.somethingawful.com/hentai/

pinkelephant

HSC
N/A
Whoah, Omikron is a primitive example of games aimed at guys. There are no half-naked men running around. Tis all half-naked chicks. Get this - there is even a shop which you can go into booths, and pay 10 monetary-thingies, and see a girl dancing nude. I haven't tried it, but whoah!

Anyways... Takin' some screenies of the weirdest things i see...

Spikeru

HSC
pinkelephant said:
Whoah, Omikron is a primitive example of games aimed at guys. There are no half-naked men running around. Tis all half-naked chicks. Get this - there is even a shop which you can go into booths, and pay 10 monetary-thingies, and see a girl dancing nude. I haven't tried it, but whoah!

Anyways... Takin' some screenies of the weirdest things i see...
I agree that it's a weird-ass game, but I don't think it's aimed at just the Male. That would be DOA Beach Volleyball. The game world (or at least the opening segment) is designed to represent a society where sexuality is a HUGE part (much more so than in ours) of existence. In the same way that sex plays a central role in the society of Brave New World.

My copy arrived today.

pinkelephant

HSC
N/A
But as I said, there aren't any half-naked men running around are there?

Have you noticed that if you are in a female character's body, you don't get treated any different? What I mean is that I've gone into that dancing-nude place (which incidentally the girls don't dance nude in, she's in underwear) and you talk to the guy up the front, and he says "Hey dude, just pick a booth. You've got the finest ladies in Omikron dancing nude just for you" (not exact words). Bit weird...

HSC
pinkelephant said:
But as I said, there aren't any half-naked men running around are there?

Have you noticed that if you are in a female character's body, you don't get treated any different? What I mean is that I've gone into that dancing-nude place (which incidentally the girls don't dance nude in, she's in underwear) and you talk to the guy up the front, and he says "Hey dude, just pick a booth. You've got the finest ladies in Omikron dancing nude just for you" (not exact words). Bit weird...
I guess the way games are made has changed a fair bit in the last six years. While I agree it's odd that the NPCs do not react to you according to your gender, I think it's probably more a reflection of a less interactive dialog model in general, rather than a specific male target audience. For example, no matter how you talk to people in the game, you also get the same responses, it's all pre-scripted with little to no flexibility. This could be blamed on any number of things, the lack of storage space for differing character speech, limited production emphasis placed on this flexibility, deadlines, etc.

As for the pseudo-nude dancer content, again I'd suggest that that's probably more of an element which the production team felt added to the experience than a specific male-centric effort. If they wanted to get little boys fired up over pixels why would they have bothered with such an otherwise elaborate game? It'd be much easier for them to make something with far less effort put into plot and atmosphere (DoA, Tomb Raider, whatever). Of course, the fact that they didn't think to add partially nude males again could be blamed on failing to realise that females would play the game, the predominance of males in the industry or pretty much anything. Again though, I doubt it's a deliberate effort to exclude and alienate a female audience.

A lot of the time things like these come up initially it does look like the games are geared specifically at a male audience, but more often than not (With obvious exceptions), I think it's more just a failure to realise that female gamers actually exist. Like we've talked about before though, it's definitely getting better, albeit slowly :)

pinkelephant

HSC
N/A
Yeah, i agree. DAMMIT - GAME INDUSTRY HEAR MY CRIES - THERE ARE GIRL GAMERS!!!!!

Hehe, I wanna make awesome games, in which the NPCs interact differently based on gender, and based on the amount of clothing you're wearing too... Morrowind already does that for clothing, like the people scoff if you are running around naked, and the imperial legion members won't talk to you unless you are wearing your uniform. Hehehe, I lost my uniform somewhere...

Spikeru

HSC
pinkelephant said:
Yeah, i agree. DAMMIT - GAME INDUSTRY HEAR MY CRIES - THERE ARE GIRL GAMERS!!!!!

Hehe, I wanna make awesome games, in which the NPCs interact differently based on gender, and based on the amount of clothing you're wearing too... Morrowind already does that for clothing, like the people scoff if you are running around naked, and the imperial legion members won't talk to you unless you are wearing your uniform. Hehehe, I lost my uniform somewhere...
THE INDUSTRY DOES RECOGNISE YOU!!!!
THE SPENT COUNTLESS MONTHS DEVELOPING BARBIE MAKEUP REMOVER IV!!!!
PLEASE REALISE I AM JOKING BEFORE EVERY FEMALE GAMER ON THIS FORUM KILLS ME!!!

I hated the Imperial Legion, I would be in full uniform, being chased by an evil wizard, a Daedra Lord and over a dozen Cliff Racers and what does an entire fort for of Legionairies do?

pinkelephant

HSC
N/A
Spikeru said:
THE INDUSTRY DOES RECOGNISE YOU!!!!
THE SPENT COUNTLESS MONTHS DEVELOPING BARBIE MAKEUP REMOVER IV!!!!
PLEASE REALISE I AM JOKING BEFORE EVERY FEMALE GAMER ON THIS FORUM KILLS ME!!!

I hated the Imperial Legion, I would be in full uniform, being chased by an evil wizard, a Daedra Lord and over a dozen Cliff Racers and what does an entire fort for of Legionairies do?
lol, you funny.

the other members of the imperial legion should have helped you if they were nearby. The guards will usually help you fight off enemies if you draw them back towards the town.
The daedra lords are pretty easy to kill depending on what their weapon is. Generally if you have a magical weapon, and keep hitting them, whilst moving around them in circles, you can kill them with only getting hit once/twice. I discovered that today :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)