• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Dear 1st Year Students (1 Viewer)

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
what ever will you do if vsu comes in raiks? no more trvia surely?

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
Ninga said:
Would you maybe...graduate?? Golly Gosh!
That's a totally foreign concept to me Ninga, I'll give myself another few years to try and work it out. :D

Ninga

HSC
Really? So why don't you graduate then? U keep failing subjects or something? Hahahaha!

Ninga

HSC
Well whats the point in applying to graduating then Geoffy? Study gets you down that much?? :) Dont worry, it gets me down too. Isn't it ironic that we are posting in the dear first years thread!???

HSC
I'm hoping if I barrage them with enough one will slip through and I'll accidentally be allowed to graduate :)

I think this is a great place for this discussion, it's better they learn now while there's still a chance to look at tafe and/or centrelink :)

Ninga

HSC
And the first post was welcoming new students...here we are trying to graduate and get out. Well, at least graduate. Keep trying geoffy, maybe one day, i mean, im sure they dont look at your transcript or the number of credit points you've done when the look at graduation eligibility. Ha!

Got my letter for graduation. December 15th, 9:15am, depending on academic status as of 24th November. Fun times :)

santaslayer

HSC
Ninga said:
And the first post was welcoming new students...here we are trying to graduate and get out. Well, at least graduate. Keep trying geoffy, maybe one day, i mean, im sure they dont look at your transcript or the number of credit points you've done when the look at graduation eligibility. Ha!

Got my letter for graduation. December 15th, 9:15am, depending on academic status as of 24th November. Fun times :)
Got yourself a job yet? Or uni academic? :)

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
Nothing is worse than the start of a Autumn semester of a new year.

There is so much build-up concerning the first year of university, between the workload and the pressure and the stress and the commitment. You manage to make your way through the first semester, and finals, and the second semester, and more finals. You develop coping mechanisms to help you out, both healthy and unhealthy. Finally, it's over, and what is your reward? A summer of volunteer or minimal pay work, and more years of university. It's a real 'fuck you' to walk into university in your second, third, fourth or even fifth or sixth year and realize that very little has changed from that previous year.

I stopped being as social, but kept drinking like I was. I seriously considered quitting school, and almost did, before my mother reminded me that quitting school meant getting a job. So instead, I just stopped giving a shit about it and decided to enjoy my remainding years of university as best I could.

For your 3rd or 4th years, you know exactly what I am talking about. It's worse for a second year because it's the shock that accompanies it. For you 2nd years going through it now, suck it up and get through. I don't know what else to say. I guess you could drink excessively or stop caring, but proceed at your own risk. And for you 1st years looking to avoid it next year, good luck, but you can't escape it. After all, in the words of a classic mafia movie cliche, This is the life we chose.

I've got 3 years still to go of a 4.5yr degree started in 2002. I wish I could find motivation to just get things done instead of swimming in alcohol at the unibar while doing 2 or 3 subject semesters.

Ninga

HSC
Raiks does tell some truths. Usually you get a bit disillusioned with uni when you realise it wasn't all that it was meant to be. But you generally figure out what you want to do and either soldier on, change degrees or drop out. Its like a quarter life crisis...

But, enjoy the end of your first year, first yearers :)

HSC
It's what I like to call the grind, I figure it's either going to be Uni or somewhere else doing a real job. Of course, a real job would mean pay, rather than paying for the opportunity to experience aforementioned grind. Like I always say when people ask, I'm not really digging it as much as you might expect, but it beats anything else I can dream up at the moment so it'll do for now. The thing that makes it worthwhile is constantly telling myself that eventually something is going to get better :)

Yep, Raiks hit the nail right on the head, which is quite a surprise given the blood alcohol levels I'm guessing at :)

Ninga

HSC
Nah I'd say he was probably sober, it is stuvac, is he going to sit in the bar by himself and drink??? Ok, maybe i shouldnt raise that question in the event of Raiks answering yes and us all having to perform an intervention to rescue his liver from the abuse he is putting it through.

But in all seriousness, i guess its much like school was, but whereas school was forced, uni is a conscious decision. You trucked through school and got into uni because you thought it would get you into what you wanted to do, or what you wanted to do in the future, you generally go through uni with the same goals. Some crap like that.

HSC
Haha, I just assumed there'd be a latent reading elevated above the normal level, because he seems to do quite a bit of uni-barring :)

Yeah, I guess that's it right there, ultimately I'm not at Uni for kicks, it's just another means to an end, and hopefully the end will be just as satisfying as I imagine it to be.

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
I wasn't at the unibar, I was in front of my computer in the study with a two-thirds finished bottle of absolut vodka that I started that afternoon. But I don't have a problem with alcohol.

Regarding the saving of my liver; I thought ahead and prepared by putting my liver in the freezer back before my first year of uni so I could get it back when I decide to be more responsible with it, which is probably graduation day (which is a long time off yet).

Yes, I do my fair share of unibar-ing, maybe too much... maybe not enough. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)