• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

decisions decisions (1 Viewer)

ganeden

HSC
hi all,

the university applications are due tommorow and i am still unsure of what to study in uni.

my desired preference is commerce @ unsw however i received an atar of 93 with 2 bonus points for a band 6 in english, however it is not enough to get into the degree according to last years cut offs.

my current options (assuming i dont get an offer for commerce) are as follows:

b/economics @ unsw - only problem is this degree has a compulsory QMA subject and my math is definitly not up to scratch, furthermore the economics degree seems less prestigious and desired than the commerce degree which leads me to another option

doing a BA and attempting to transfer t the end of the first year, this will require a WAM minimum of 75, which im not sure how difficult as i have no experience regarding university standards.

my final option is doing a Bbus at UTS - the problem is this degree seems below par compared to the commerce degrees at unsw / usyd etc.

any help or advice would be much appreciated THANKS!

leoyh

mic`
HSC
I would say take the B.economics at unsw and then transfer into commerce after your first year. Most of it would be the same anyway as there are a lot of overlapping subjects in first year. I think the WAM requirements is 75, which is not difficult if you put in some effort

FuJu

HSC
economics @ unsw - only problem is this degree has a compulsory QMA subject and my math is definitly not up to scratch
Commerce has the same QMA subject. It's honestly not that mathematical.

What are you hoping to major in? If your maths is really that poor then that would rule out a number of Commerce majors like Finance and Actuarial Studies, amongst others - something to consider.

Put what you really want to do first as your first preference. It may seem obvious but the number of people that don't do this is surprising. You never know, you could well make Commerce. In your case I suggest you put UNSW Commerce as preference one, and UNSW Economics as preference two. With a bit of application and study you should easily be able to transfer from Eco to Com after a year.

ganeden

HSC
regardless of whether i do eco or commerce
my majors would be : economics and marketing as they seem less mathematical and are my interest areas.

my prefs atm are
1.bcom unsw
2.bcom usyd
3.beco uts
4.bbus uts
5 b arts unsw

atar =93 + 2 extra bonus from b6 in english adv =95 (at unsw only)

ganeden

HSC
Commerce has the same QMA subject. It's honestly not that mathematical.

What are you hoping to major in? If your maths is really that poor then that would rule out a number of Commerce majors like Finance and Actuarial Studies, amongst others - something to consider.

Put what you really want to do first as your first preference. It may seem obvious but the number of people that don't do this is surprising. You never know, you could well make Commerce. In your case I suggest you put UNSW Commerce as preference one, and UNSW Economics as preference two. With a bit of application and study you should easily be able to transfer from Eco to Com after a year.

and sorry but i forgot to add commerce unsw got rid of their qma course... which is why its far more tempting

Justina

HSC
Just want to point out that it'd be pretty easy to get a WAM of 75+ in a B Arts in first year (especially for a someone who got band 6 in English).

ganeden

HSC
Just want to point out that it'd be pretty easy to get a WAM of 75+ in a B Arts in first year (especially for a someone who got band 6 in English).
just out of interest.. what makes you say that? :)

leoyh

mic`
HSC
regardless of whether i do eco or commerce
my majors would be : economics and marketing as they seem less mathematical and are my interest areas.
Economics is not necessarily a subject that has less maths to it, in fact, arguably more maths than subjects such as accounting. There is a lot of statistics and data involved, including their applications to economic models and ways of thinking. It is more focused on that than the simply theory that you get in high school. Uni economics is more like testing the theories, which is where they branch into econometrics. The only way to escape that would be to major in something like business economics, but i'm not sure if you can pick this under BEco. If you're doing a BEco or any other major in economics, it'd be hard to escape the maths i'd say. Worse thing is, its not even your typical maths, its statistics and analysing data, which some people hate more than maths.

Last edited:

rx34

HSC
Economics actually does have some pretty tough maths*. I'm not talking about the first year mandatory Micro+Macro courses. Rather, courses like "Business and Economic Statistics" where you have to deal with Chi Squares, Trend Lines, Forecast, Probability and graph interpretation. In second year, you have to do more economic statistics. Economics is definitely more 'mathscy' than accounting.

*The maths is not that difficult as compared to engineering but it is still challenging for a maths retard like me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)