• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Difference between cadetship & co-op program (preferably in UNSW)? (1 Viewer)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
What are the core differences between them?

I read over few stuffs from the forum, not many posts have really identified the differences between them. (or it may be due to my lack of reading skills)

It will be great if someone could compare those two in terms of extra work you need to do, difficulty in getting into the course and other things.

Affinity

HSC
cadetship -> more work less study

coop -> more study less work

Vagabond

Machine
HSC
Well really I'd say its

Cadetship: *Plenty* of work with study
Co-op: Some work with study

Since at the end of both you would have done the same amount of study but differing amounts of work!

HSC
^ that's a very biased viewpoint, you didn't also mention the extra free time and better uni experience coops get.

Vagabond

Machine
HSC
How is it biased? Please explain.

Both leave with a degree, the same degree. But the cadet has 2 years work experience. There is no way that you could possibly objectively say that I am wrong or biased. I responding directly to Affinity whom you could interpret implied that co-op students do more 'study'.

???

??????

As for better uni experience, that's the only debatable part.

I'd personally argue that after 2 years of work exp getting paid an allowance to finish a degree with normal subject loading (and the option to work on a casual basis) plus no concerns about maintaining any academic averages (if that's not your thing) would be pretty damn good too.

Last edited:

wendus

krawr.
HSC
nice question marks.

coop is where study and work are balanced, cadetship is where you work fulltime with study parttime.

HSC
Vagabond said:
How is it biased? Please explain.

Both leave with a degree, the same degree. But the cadet has 2 years work experience. There is no way that you could possibly objectively say that I am wrong or biased. I responding directly to Affinity whom you could interpret implied that co-op students do more 'study'.

???

??????

As for better uni experience, that's the only debatable part.

I'd personally argue that after 2 years of work exp getting paid an allowance to finish a degree with normal subject loading (and the option to work on a casual basis) plus no concerns about maintaining any academic averages (if that's not your thing) would be pretty damn good too.
the biased part was that you made it seem that its clear cut that cadetships are way better than coops based on your initial response. You forgot to mention the part that in a cadetship you are juggling the demands of a proper office job with ptime uni.

That's what i meant by biased, and if you read your post its pretty clear that you were implying that cadetships are superior when they aren't as it depends on what you want as you highlighted the more W/E you will have but forgot to mention you'll be working a lot harder as well.

Vagabond

Machine
HSC
ifsonotso_100 said:
the biased part was that you made it seem that its clear cut that cadetships are way better than coops based on your initial response. You forgot to mention the part that in a cadetship you are juggling the demands of a proper office job with ptime uni.
No, I didnt *forget*, I was making a direct response to Affinity.

To simplify it for you, he made a statement about "A" and "B"

I responded with another statement about "A" and "B" specifically.

ifsonotso_100 said:
That's what i meant by biased, and if you read your post its pretty clear that you were implying that cadetships are superior when they aren't as it depends on what you want as you highlighted the more W/E you will have but forgot to mention you'll be working a lot harder as well.
Let me get this straight.

You're claiming that I highlighted that cadets do more work experience yet that I failed to imply that cadets work harder?

Who would have thought the two could be correlated?

gg

loller

Banned
HSC
N/A
Vagabond said:

Let me get this straight.

You're claiming that I highlighted that cadets do more work experience yet that I failed to imply that cadets work harder?

Who would have thought the two could be correlated?

gg
oh, the games over is it?

HSC
Vagabond said:

gg
im not even going to make the effort to argue- all you tried to do was show that a cadetship was better

Vagabond

Machine
HSC
ifsonotso_100 said:
im not even going to make the effort to argue- all you tried to do was show that a cadetship was better
If somebody were to ask you 'What field generally gets paid more, Law or Retail?', would you call someone who answered 'Law' biased?

The answer doesn't merit a rounded response based on the relative difficulties of the fields, barriers to entry, availability of work or other considerations.

The ironic thing is that you didn't like what I said because I made cadets look better by saying they work more, when Affinity said the exact same thing and yet you don't mention a word about him. I was merely correcting his statement that cadets do 'less study'.

But I guess I take my comprehension skills for granted.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Thank you very much everyone!!

Then what about the difficulty of getting into the cadetship as opposed to Co-op program? More difficult or relatively easier?

Vagabond

Machine
HSC
When you ask how difficult it is to get a cadetship you're essentially just asking how difficult is it to get a job

That's all a cadetship is...

In terms of experience the co-ops would be comparable to cadetships at the big4

Random guess but I think there's about 30 coops a year at both UTS and UNSW so 60 all up

The big4 would probably take roughly 50 each across tax, audit, business services, etc etc.. so more spots.

So from a purely numbers perspective it should be easier to get into the big4.

Having said that though, I felt that the assessment process for the big4 was harder than for the co-ops... From what I've heard the UNSW co-op places a much stronger emphasis on academic results whilst a lot of the cadetships care a lot more about your other qualities.

But at the end of the day the difficulty of getting something shouldn't be impacting on your decisions!

Affinity

HSC
Coop is more portable and they seem to advance faster in the mid/long run.
With cadetships you do get your CAs earlier though.

Affinity

HSC
depends on what level..
a person with 3-4 working under him/her is a manager. and there are plenty of those..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)