• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Direction in life ??! (1 Viewer)

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Didn't you have any plan when you were in the HSC ?
People change

In the interest of leaving a sufficiently large footprint on the world I leave my lights on 24/7 and drive everywhere even when I could more easily walk there.
Didn't say Carbon footprint and if those are your proudest achievements then gg

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I think we've veered way off topic here- for what it's worth to the Op, we are the generation where working hard and mindlessly following the path others followed before us isn't what leads to personal satisfaction. You aren't the only one in this boat, there are plenty of others who feel rather lacking in direction as to what they care about or what they want to achieve.

Whilst I don't necessarily agree with what SylviaB said, there were some harsh truths mentioned in there regarding the generation which looks for that feeling of instant and measurable satisfaction (and hence the rise in popularity of gamification in everything from going for a walk to raising money for charity). Putting that back in the context of the Op, maybe you are looking too hard for the perfect thing which will yield instant satisfaction the moment you identify it when really you might be better off focusing on your strengths (e.g. look at what subjects you did well in?) and seeing if you can leverage that to lead you down a path which will hopefully bring you both money and some degree of satisfaction; or at least enough money to enable you to pursue whatever else you might have a passion for.

Just my 2c.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
I think we've veered way off topic here- for what it's worth to the Op, we are the generation where working hard and mindlessly following the path others followed before us isn't what leads to personal satisfaction. You aren't the only one in this boat, there are plenty of others who feel rather lacking in direction as to what they care about or what they want to achieve.

Whilst I don't necessarily agree with what SylviaB said, there were some harsh truths mentioned in there regarding the generation which looks for that feeling of instant and measurable satisfaction (and hence the rise in popularity of gamification in everything from going for a walk to raising money for charity). Putting that back in the context of the Op, maybe you are looking too hard for the perfect thing which will yield instant satisfaction the moment you identify it when really you might be better off focusing on your strengths (e.g. look at what subjects you did well in?) and seeing if you can leverage that to lead you down a path which will hopefully bring you both money and some degree of satisfaction; or at least enough money to enable you to pursue whatever else you might have a passion for.

Just my 2c.
Cheers for the great insight

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
The other thing I'd also add to this based on experience and lots of people who have tried similar things- a hobby/passion and a career are two different things. There are some people who successfully turn one into the other (or vice versa!) but there are many more who try to do this and end up finding it impractical for a variety of reasons whether it be the amount of time required for non-core activities (e.g. a designer may spend more time trying to win new customers or doing admin) or simply it's just not profitable (e.g. photography of insects and the rise of copyright violation in the commercial space - yes I did read that blog post recently). Then there's also the whole risk of you turning a perfectly enjoyable passion into something you no longer enjoy (e.g. friends who thought becoming mechanics/car-modding/etc would be a good full time role). Again I emphasise this isn't everyone and some people do manage to make it work, I'd caution about going down the hobby into a career route too quickly without really planning you can make a real living out of it.

wannaspoon

ремове кебаб
HSC
Uni Grad
success cannot be found in a thread or by yes men telling you that things are going to be alright, that your tops and shit, etc... :)

JohnMaximus

shepherd of the people
HSC
Go talk to your parents or some chit not some fukkin uppity kids on the internet

alphabetafeta96

I swear im not a cat lady
HSC
Uni Grad
Trust in your internal compass for your direction in life- your intuition. While asking strangers can be beneficial and can lead you generally in the direction to which you want to go, it is only by trusting in yourself to make the right decisions in your own life which can ultimately lead to truly what you were meant to do in your existence. Your true north per say.

Hi there444

HSC
Think about it like this:
When you are in your death bed, what will you regret not doing with your life?

For me it would be not being able to change someone's life with what I have learned, or that I haven't left a big enough footprint on the world. And also giving up on what I really wanted to do because I failed too many times.
Hey that my analogy. Well I will still lend it to you this one time,

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)