• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Distinction Course Discussion (2 Viewers)

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
wendybird said:
that's a shame, commiserations :(

but your positive attitude is wonderful to see, and in all likelihood with your motivation and work ethic, i've no doubt you'll do just as well with your subjects in 2009! :)

I imagine that things were very tight this year...i had been told that in previous years a high band 5 or band 6 would pretty much guarantee acceptance. Perhaps they're really trying to get numbers down? (so as not to impose on UNE)

best of luck with your studies!
Thank you.

Yeah - that's what I was told as well. However I remember one of the lecturers stating that the Board was cutting positions this year. Again thanks and I hope you enjoy Philosophy/Cosmology (not sure which one you got into).

VampireGirl

HSC
lyounamu said:
He must have been very close though considering that he actually got Band 6 in his accelerated course.

Do you reckon getting into courses like Cosmology would have been harder or easier?
I'm not sure actually, i imagine it would be. My friend got 85 in Chemistry and didn't into Cosmo, i got 92 in Chemistry and got into Cosmo as well.
My other friend got 81 and didn't get into Philosophy whereas another got 92 and did get in.

Along with your mark, i think it really depends on the subject you're accelerated in....Maybe?:confused:

jet

Banned
HSC
I just wanted to ask, was acceleration always an option for you guys or did you have to pursue it yourself?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
jetblack2007 said:
I just wanted to ask, was acceleration always an option for you guys or did you have to pursue it yourself?
I had to pursue it.

My school denied my access to acceleration initially. But after interview, it was offered. That maths coordinator wasn't very satisfied but now...I know for sure that she is. :D

jet

Banned
HSC
Yeah.
I remember finding out about them in year 10 when i was looking at past papers and thinking 'that'll be a neat trick'. It has never been mentioned before.
Then, in August my math's teacher asked me whether i wanted to do 2 unit that year at which point i basically crapped myself.
Next thing you know i was talking to the curriculum coordinator and I was moving between my year 10 class and the year 12 class. I still can't believe it.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
jetblack2007 said:
Yeah.
I remember finding out about them in year 10 when i was looking at past papers and thinking 'that'll be a neat trick'. It has never been mentioned before.
Then, in August my math's teacher asked me whether i wanted to do 2 unit that year at which point i basically crapped myself.
Next thing you know i was talking to the curriculum coordinator and I was moving between my year 10 class and the year 12 class. I still can't believe it.
ur marks are awesome too, must be set for a high uai

jet

Banned
HSC
Timothy.Siu said:
ur marks are awesome too, must be set for a high uai
Thanks. I didn't even think i would get above 90 :S
I dunno about the high UAI. Over the years pretty much the highest in my school is 98.8. I know this is a really good mark, but i need one which is much higher than that to get into the combined degree. But, honestly, i would be stoked with anything above 90.

You did really well in 2 unit. So did Namu. Congratulations

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
jetblack2007 said:
I dunno about the high UAI. Over the years pretty much the highest in my school is 98.8. I know this is a really good mark, but i need one which is much higher than that to get into the combined degree. But, honestly, i would be stoked with anything above 90.

Sorry mate, that history is long gone, your school is about to face the 100 UAI rebellion...starting with YOU!

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
jetblack2007 said:
Acceleration was always an option for people at my school - that's probably why we didn't do too well overall. At my school - we always accelerate the top maths class from Year 9 onwards - therefore for us - it's just normal - therefore people put in less effort generally overall - I know that happened to me.

jet

Banned
HSC
lyounamu said:
Sorry mate, that history is long gone, your school is about to face the 100 UAI rebellion...starting with YOU!
LOL...i dunno. All the teachers at my school say a uai of 100 doesnt exist.
You should have a good chance of it though? First place in 2 unit.

jet

Banned
HSC
the-derivative said:
Acceleration was always an option for people at my school - that's probably why we didn't do too well overall. At my school - we always accelerate the top maths class from Year 9 onwards - therefore for us - it's just normal - therefore people put in less effort generally overall - I know that happened to me.
Yeah. The maths teacher that started off for me was telling me her sons go there, or will... I dont remember. My cousin is also going there next year. I can't believe you didn't get it. Well.. at least you have more time for other subjects. You might even be able to accelerate in another.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
for a few years, we always accelerate around 120 people but only the top 80 yr 11's get to do the 2unit exam, but we also accelerate other subjects too, so i guess we get to choose, but u have to be good.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
jetblack2007 said:

with those marks, ur set for well over 90...i'd say 99.xx

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
jetblack2007 said:
Yeah. The maths teacher that started off for me was telling me her sons go there, or will... I dont remember. My cousin is also going there next year. I can't believe you didn't get it. Well.. at least you have more time for other subjects. You might even be able to accelerate in another.
I can actually see why I didn't get it - my accelerated mark wasn't high enough and I know that's the reason why. Because 2U maths isn't considered as a 'difficult' subject and therefore I would predict that BOS would expect 95+ from 2U, and a Band E3 in Extension 1 didn't help either. But yeah thanks for the kind words.

Also after reading the other posts - I think you should definitely get 99.xx.

jet

Banned
HSC
Thanks. I hope so.

The 3 unit should still scale well for you, even though you didn't get the course.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
yeah his results are excellent, actually, i'm aiming for what he got for next year...so lucky that he's already done them, then i wud just be able to focus on my other subjects...

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Timothy.Siu said:
yeah his results are excellent, actually, i'm aiming for what he got for next year...so lucky that he's already done them, then i wud just be able to focus on my other subjects...
I think we are slowly losing the focus...moderator might shut the thread down you know...

jet

Banned
HSC
lyounamu said:
I think we are slowly losing the focus...moderator might shut the thread down you know...
LOL that is true.

I didnt actually go to the information day. Was it any good?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
jetblack2007 said:
LOL that is true.

I didnt actually go to the information day. Was it any good?
Yep. The first half was tad boring however, when we started moving on to lectures about courses, that's when it got actually quite interesting.

The Philosophy lecturer, Adrian, wasn't very prepared for the meeting. He just babbled on with some random philosophical questions which I didn't really interesting.

However, when we moved onto David and Adam, that's when it got really interesting - they talked about Cosmology and talked about courses basically. It was a fun experience - and I really liked some free food as well which I should have consumed more....um...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)