• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Distribution of Income & Wealth (1 Viewer)

rumour

HSC
I need some help with the following problems:
-What are the issues facing the Australian economy in relation to the distribution of income & wealth
-How could a government address this issue?
-What would be the possible consequences of such government actions on individuals, firms & the government?

jimmik

HSC
1. greater income inequality --> Gini coeff has increased
2. address issue through fiscal policy --> 2004 budget attempts to compensate low income earners with super contribution scheme and family assistance/benefits but favours high income earners with tax cuts
3. consequences are broad..maybe start off with tax cuts which increase spending, thus stimulating the economy...etc

Craig

there goes my hero
HSC
Originally posted by jimmik
1. greater income inequality --> Gini coeff has increased
2. address issue through fiscal policy --> 2004 budget attempts to compensate low income earners with super contribution scheme and family assistance/benefits but favours high income earners with tax cuts
3. consequences are broad..maybe start off with tax cuts which increase spending, thus stimulating the economy...etc
That sums it up perfectly.
However some statistics and facts that could be used for evaluation include-:
1) In the early to mid 1980's Australia’s Gini Coefficient was at .281. Since the mid 1980's it has increased, standing at .311. Compared to Switzerland, Canada and France, Australia is more unequal, however it is more equal than the United Kingdom and America.
2) It's unlikely that Australia will reverse the changes in economic policy that have contributed to rising income inequality, most notably, the shift towards a more decentralised and deregulated labour market. This is because the government is pursuing other domestic issues, in particular inflation and unemployment. However there are strategies to improve income inefficiencies. These include reducing poverty traps caused by the interaction of the tax and welfare system, reforming the job network, creating a national jobs strategy, strengthening work entitlements, and raising the minimum wage. However you have to ask yourself, what impacts would these strategies have on the economy? For example if you raise the minimum wage you could cause cost push inflation.

Craig

there goes my hero
HSC
Originally posted by amoz_lilo
what is the Gini coefficient? ive heard my teacher mention it a few times...
It's an aggregate numerical measure of income inequality. It ranges from zero, which represents perfect equality, to one, which represents perfect inequality.

rumour

HSC
Originally posted by Craig
It's an aggregate numerical measure of income inequality. It ranges from zero, which represents perfect equality, to one, which represents perfect inequality.
And it is related to the Lorenz curve.

Is there a website with has Australia's Lorenz curve?

rumour

HSC
I got 2 books from the library on this topic, one published in 95 the other in 97, would they still be relevant or will the info be out-of-date?

grimreaper

HSC
rumour said:
I got 2 books from the library on this topic, one published in 95 the other in 97, would they still be relevant or will the info be out-of-date?
I wouldn't use any stats that were that old..... however the theory would probably still be relevant

sunjet

Hip-Hop Saved My Life
HSC
rumour said:
And it is related to the Lorenz curve.

Is there a website with has Australia's Lorenz curve?
Im looking for that as well, checking ABS now

sunjet

Hip-Hop Saved My Life
HSC
Anyone know where to find Australia's latest Lorenz Curve and Gini Coefficient?

black_man

Chuck lives here
HSC
sorry to re-open an old thread, but i think you can find the gini co-efficient in any human development report issued by the UN. i'm not sure of the exact name of them, but i know it will include a gini co-efficient. I last checked it around a week and a half ago, and it measured 35.2, although my teacher believes he has seen it as high as 48.

rumour

HSC
black_man said:
sorry to re-open an old thread, but i think you can find the gini co-efficient in any human development report issued by the UN. i'm not sure of the exact name of them, but i know it will include a gini co-efficient. I last checked it around a week and a half ago, and it measured 35.2, although my teacher believes he has seen it as high as 48.
What website is that in?

Sunjet- maybe you should try the world bank website also.

hyperbole

i LURRVE to exaggerate.
HSC
I got this from Leading Edge textbook

www.acoss.org.au -------> Australian Council of Social Service

"which provides information on inequality in income and wealth distribution and includes links to other useful websites"

sunjet

Hip-Hop Saved My Life
HSC
l'll post my essay if i get 18+/20, it's really detailed statistics and has the effects of inequality distribution on Australia, cost benefits etc

sunjet

Hip-Hop Saved My Life
HSC
*cough* sure, i > you in essays we'll see after this assessment :O

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)