• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Divorce Law - Hire a lawyer overseas? (1 Viewer)

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
If you have one party in UK and one in Australia, and there are disagreements regarding money/property etc settlements and you are the party in australia, should you hire a lawyer in australia or UK ?

TIA

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Re: divorce law overseas.

my guesstimate is where the marriage was first registered and/or where the property is located.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC

Yay! I thought those questions were relevant.

I observed a contested divorce case where the property was located in France but the marriage was in Aust. and it was being disolved here...but I only caught the end of it so I am unsure of the circumstances.

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC

Properties in UK, marriage in UK. Other properties in Australia from the other party.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A

dunno.

i think family law is an elective too.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC

^ does that mean I don't have to take it, please say yes. I hated the family elective in legal ZZZzzzZZZ

I guess in the UK since the marriage and majority of property is there. I'd assume though that the processes would be quite similar either way since our system is based on theirs and both are common law systems...but seriously sif I know what I am talking about... so lol best to ask someone who knows...

Last edited:

ManlyChief

Manly: 7 miles from Sydney, 1000 miles from care
HSC

melsc said:
^ does that mean I don't have to take it, please say yes. I hated the family elective in legal ZZZzzzZZZ
I hate family law, too.

Although, I had brunch today (Sunday) at the home up the street of a dear friend of mine whose daddy is an SC and whose mummy has a large family practice (it's one of those 'all in the law' families, who were all rather shocked when my friend decided to discontinue his law studies to study art history and theory). She has always maintained that family law can be quite lucrative: pitch your services at the Mosman/Double Bay parrallel shorlines and you're bound to reap a handsome income. I'm pretty sure she does - she serves the best smoked salmon at brunch.

santaslayer

HSC
I don't think the location of the property is a real concern. The location of the marriage is much more important. Multi-millionaires may have property everywhere, but that doesn;'t stop the court from dividing it upon dissolution.

Guessing here.

ManlyChief

HSC
I think the divorce will be heard here in Australia:

Eligibility to commence proceedings for marriage dissolution is dependent upon the applicant being a party to the marriage, and upon fulfilment of certain citizenship, domiciliary or residential requirements by either party. The requirement that only a party to a marriage may commence proceedings for its dissolution follows from the relevant paragraph of the definition of ``matrimonial cause'' that the proceedings must be ``between ... or by the parties to a marriage''. 1
The additional citizenship, domiciliary or residential requirements are that, at the date of filing of the application, either party to the marriage is an Australian citizen, or is domiciled in Australia, or is ordinarily resident in Australia and has been so resident for one year immediately preceding that date. 2 The complexities of the common law rules relating to domicile are considered elsewhere. 3 For the purposes of Commonwealth law, including matrimonial causes under the Family Law Act 1975 (Cth), the common law rules have been modified by the Domicile Act 1982 (Cth). 4 In particular, the Act abolishes the dependent domicile of a married woman; 5 provides that a person's current domicile continues until a new domicile is acquired; 6 and also makes clear that a person over 18, or a married person under 18, is capable of having an independent domicile. 7
Section 10 of the Domicile Act, follows the trend of common law authority 8 by confirming that the requisite intention necessary to establish a domicile of choice in a country is that of making one's home there indefinitely. Thus, in order to establish that someone has acquired a domicile of choice in Australia, it is necessary to prove that the person intends to remain here as a resident for a period ``unlimited in point of time''. 9 Whether this requirement is satisfied will be a question of fact in each case. In In Marriage of Emson [1980] FLC ¶90-803, for example, the Court found that the husband, who had been born in England and had been resident in Australia for only four days before filing for divorce, had come to Australia in the hope of obtaining a divorce from his wife, an American citizen. In other respects, his intentions as to future residence in Australia appeared to be extremely vague. Baker J was not prepared to find on these facts that the husband had acquired a domicile of choice in Australia. 10 In contrast, the wife in In Marriage of Barnett [1980] FLC ¶90-863 gave evidence that she had come to Australia from New Zealand in November 1979, gone back to New Zealand in December of that year to put her affairs in order, and then returned to Australia in January 1980 intending to remain here permanently. Ross-Jones J was satisfied that when she applied in early June 1980 for a divorce from her husband, who was then living in England, she had acquired a domicile of choice in Australia. 11
The alternative criterion to that of Australian citizenship or domicile is that either spouse has been ``ordinarily resident'' in Australia for one year immediately preceding the date of filing for divorce. This expression includes ``habitually resident''. 12 Although the notion of ordinary residence may acquire different meanings in different legal contexts, 13 it clearly does not require an intention to remain in the same place indefinitely. In Akbarali v Brent London Borough Council [1983] 2 AC 309 [[1983] 2 WLR 16; [1983] 1 All ER 226], a case concerning claims by overseas students for government education assistance, Lord Scarman was of the view that the phrase ``ordinarily resident'' referred to a person's ``abode in a particular place or country'' which has been ``adopted voluntarily and for settled purposes'' as part of the person's ``regular order of ... life for the time being, whether of short or of long duration''. 14 Although a person coming to Australia from overseas would have to show a minimum of one year's continuing connection with Australia to satisfy the requirement, it is important to emphasise that ordinary residence does not require constant physical presence. Similarly, even lengthy residence in one country may be consistent with the retention of the status of ordinarily resident in another country. For example, in In Marriage of El Oueik (1977) 29 FLR 171 [3 Fam LR 11,351; [1977] FLC ¶90-224], which raised the issue of recognition of an overseas divorce decree, 15 Toose J, in the New South Wales Supreme Court, held that the wife had not become ordinarily resident in Lebanon, despite having been present there from June 1973 to March 1975. When leaving Australia she had only intended to visit Lebanon for a short time; her extended stay there was a result of the failure of the husband, who had remained in Australia, to provide sufficient funds for her to return with the children.

ManlyChief

HSC
sikeveo said:
will this act apply eventhough the marriage was before 1996?

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts1996/1996027.htm

Thanks for the advice guys (and melsc). Btw MC any reason for that recommendation? English lawyers will be very expensive :(
Yes, the act applies to the divorce (if the divorce is being contested in the UK), since the divorce will be brought before the court now; that the marriage took place before 1996 isn't material since, when it did take place, the marriage was duly made according to law (I assume) and so it's only the divorce that comes under this act. Look also at ss 19-20 of the Act.

I recommended those chambers since they looked pretty. I like pretty chambers.

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
Chambers are generally nice. I remember when I applied as a Barristers Clerk in the St James chambers, they were quite nicely furnished.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)