• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Do you support a longer term of government? (1 Viewer)

How long should the term of govt be?

• A

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • B

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • C

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • D

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

Sathius005

HSC
Uni Grad
I believe Australia is over electioned and needs to electoral reform. We need to make the term of government longer. I suggest we make one term of government six years. If the government is really bad the Governor General should be given powers to sack the govenment and the Prime Minister of Australia. Who's with me?

How long should the term of govt be?
A) 6 years
B) 5 years
C) 4 years
D) 3 years

spatula232

HSC
I guess having a longer term would provide the current party in power to be able to create stable policies and keep the running of the country smooth. Then, yet again, a lot of reforms and new laws brought in are looked down upon by sides of society. Having a longer term also decreases the chance for a fresh, new way of running the country. Overall though, if the party in power is favoured and good, they will get re-elected, so having a longer term won't have an effect on the way things go anyway. But I doubt the term will change anyway, and three years is still quite a bit of time.

If I would choose, it would probably be around 4 years. But we should look at America where the president can only serve two terms, which should be included in Australia, because otherwise we are stuck with shitty government for years and years.

Sathius005

HSC
Uni Grad
Risky to test appetite for elections. Source: AFR
Australians don't like elections and it's perfectly understandable that they don't. We have too many of them. The term of the federal government is far too short, which means a government hardly settled into office before it's getting ready for the next election. And the curse of our founding fathers imposing three levels of government- federal, state and local means election campaigns are a constant feature of our lives. No democratic country is over electioned than Australia. Australia has a constant election preoccupation

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)