• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Does this count as cheating? (1 Viewer)

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
haha of course, but our science department is different. No matter how easy the question may seem, they WILL find a way to take marks off you...
MY chem teacher does this... :(
It's because he's a good teacher...

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
That's because you go to a selective school and they need to differentiate the students. BOS hates tie-ing ranks so they tell your teachers to separate the same marks. And I guess for you guys they make a

=P

I have been a teacher for over 20 years and the BOS have never told us to not have tied ranks. I have regularly sent in tied ranks for all positions from 1st to last - if the kids are equal then they deserve to be equal and have the final HSC exam separate them - if it can.

ArtemisOrthia

HSC
I agree with the other members, in this instance it isn't cheating, just a bit lucky and using your studying techniques effectively.

I know with my school they had to make up trial exam questions as CSSA / Independent have not been released this year yet, and your teacher should have also made up the exam questions. Foul play in regards to them.

Just make sure you study everything when it comes to the actual HSC, no hints and tips there. :)

turbomedi343

HSC
lucky!!!!

and no its not cheating,

(sigh) if only my teachers were that lazy

el_patron

HSC
Uni Grad
no, it just means the teacher is lazy, and you deserve to get whatever mark u got =D

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
It's not really lazy, either.

Realistically, there is a limited amount of information they can test you on in the exam. You'll often find that exam questions are repeated, across multiple past papers and study guides.

They're not telling you the answer. You still have to come up with the marks yourself, memorise the content and get it out in a logical, sophisticated way in the exam.

There's a difference between telling you what's important to study and giving you an unfair advantage. It just saves you from wasting your time studying things which won't be tested (e.g. background knowledge which might be in the syllabus but it's not tested because it's just the context).

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Cheating, no. Academic dishonesty, yes.

Is it worth doing anything about, no.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I think it's fine, if you do past papers as part of needed study for an exam, you end up getting similar questions anyway. He didn't actively seek to get an upper hand, he was just lucky to have done the past paper they ended up using (my school writes their own so this doesn't happen, but sometimes they'll take multiple choice out of past papers).

But that not tieing people thing is silly :( If two/three/four people perform equally well, they deserve the same rank, not to be divided because of a technicality.

vemanjj

HSC
Uni Grad
it's not cheating but you probably won't get much out of it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)