• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Does year 10 matter if you're going on to year 12? (1 Viewer)

nkw

HSC
N/A
Just wondering. I don't always listen in my geography and food tech class lol, so I obviously didn't do too well in them and I also did pretty bad in my science and maths :(

enoilgam

HSC
It does matter to some extent, especially in terms of the skills you acquire.

louielouiee

louielouielouielouielouie
HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
In terms of developing good habits (particularly study wise), yes.

In terms of every other single thing to do with year 10, absolutely not.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
If you are going to continue with the subject then yes it will matter as you will be missing some of the assumed knowledge and skills.

It could also affect which subject your school offers - e.g. if you are ranked 30th in a course and they have a full course by rank 29 you miss out.

Frostbitten

HSC
Not really. Even year 11 doesn't matter. The only thing that matters for you right is to have fun, then in year 11 try develop your study skills so you can study on a daily basis in year 12.

enoilgam

HSC
Not really. Even year 11 doesn't matter. The only thing that matters for you right is to have fun, then in year 11 try develop your study skills so you can study on a daily basis in year 12.
For many schools though, you need to meet minimum requirements in Year 10 to do certain subjects (this was the case at my school for maths, english, science and a few humanities). Plus, for a few subjects, but in particular maths, you need to have a good foundation going into the senior courses.

Look, nothing counts but Year 12, but to say the early years dont matter is a fallacy. It's kind of like a footballer saying "only game day counts, who cares about training".

Frostbitten

HSC
For many schools though, you need to meet minimum requirements in Year 10 to do certain subjects (this was the case at my school for maths, english, science and a few humanities). Plus, for a few subjects, but in particular maths, you need to have a good foundation going into the senior courses.

Look, nothing counts but Year 12, but to say the early years dont matter is a fallacy. It's kind of like a footballer saying "only game day counts, who cares about training".
I suppose so in the situation of certain schools and their subject requirements. But provided that is not the case year 10 really doesn't have much of an effect on your later years. It is so easy to catch up in year 11 provided you don't have an IQ of 1.

louielouiee

louielouielouielouielouie
HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
I an honesty nothing in year 10 helped me at all except for maybe mathematics.
Year 11 also had no significance except for developing good study habits.

I remember a teacher secretly telling me in year 9 that the only year that ever mattered was year 12.
Boy, he was so right it's not funny.

SuchSmallHands

HSC
I found the extra work I did in year ten set me up really well for a lot of my subjects in year eleven. I know a lot of information which most of my class doesn't because I worked hard in year ten (not really sure why, but glad I did). But seriously, food tech? I'm sure you'll be fine in the HSC even if you're not ranked first in year ten food technology.

GoldyOrNugget

Señor Member
HSC
Spend year 10 perfecting your essay-writing and maths skills. There's nothing worse than starting the HSC without being able to write a good essay or missing basic maths knowledge.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)