• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Does you school affect your UAI? (1 Viewer)

Does you school affect your UAI?

• Yes

Votes: 53 55.8%
  • No

Votes: 42 44.2%

• Total voters

me121

Premium Member
HSC
tommykins said:
rheyn said:
Yes what school you go to does matter.

As you know the HSC is made up of 2 components your assement mark (school mark) and your HSC mark (exam mark). At school you will recieve a ranking in each subject which is then used to determine your assessment mark. How you perform in the HSC exam decides what your HSC mark will be. However your assessment mark for each subject is calculated by collecting the marks of everyone at your school, who did the subject exam, and ranking those marks in order. Then the person who is ranked first in that school, for that subject, will recieve the highest HSC exam mark as their assessment mark. Then the person who is ranked second will recieve the second highest exam mark as their assesment mark and so on...
Wrong, they collect the marks and distribute it according to the margin between the ranks.
yes! tommykins is quite right, i was wondering why so many keep thinking it works the way rheyn describes it.

tommykins said:
Let me tell you this, if you're in the top tier of the grade or bottom tier, others performances will not effect you significantly, if at all.

If you're first in your grade and a person in your grade achieves a mark of 60(say, the lowest mark in the state), this will have no effect on you whatsoever.

If you're last in your grade, and the top person got 100, they will NOT "drag" you up.

The only "dragging up" you'll see is an illusion, seeing as if you are average in a top ranked school, a student of your calibre would be seen as the top tier in a low-ranking school, so in the end it'd be the same.

The only real determination of your HSC/UAI is YOU and YOU alone, not your school or your subjects.

Because they either give average rankings in a low ranking school, thus it is highly unlikely they'd be able to get a high UAI.

If a person from James Ruse gave us last rankings for all his/her subjects, you cannot assume they'd get 90+ regardless, they'd have to do well in the HSC to obtain a 90+.

PS. I've heard stories of 70-80 UAI's at James Ruse.
yes. finally someone speaks the truth.

Patar

0101 0000
HSC
I reckon to some degree it must affect you, because if your cohort does strongly your cohort gets scaled up together because the internal ranks were harder to progress up.

Meaning selective school students who are higher on the bell curve together will do better as a whole, normally, unless they have outliers. That, and the cohort of a selective school will try harder too :)

James Ruse does so well - not saying because its a private school because nowhere have I found any evidence of private doing better than public schools, extra facilities do not always mean better education - because its like that, a selective school.

Guess its just best to do the best you can, no matter what school you go to if you're up the top and an outlier from your cohort at a local school you can get scaled up as nicely as the 'strong team' approach that works for selective.

rheyn

HSC
Ok I got it now.

The process described by me earlier is how they determine your Exam mark (so it's possible that the mark you get isn't really your mark). So if your final rank is 1st and in the HSC exam you mess up and get say 60 out of 100 while 6th place gets 99 out of 100, because you are 1st you get the highest exam mark of your school. Therefore your hsc exam mark is 99/100, while some poor guy gets your mark, 60/100.

Additionally, Tommykins how come you said

tommykins said:
The top external mark (regardless of who got it) = The top internal mark.

You keep your external mark.
at : http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=177460&page=6

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)